Morrisseys Ouvre

Can you name anyone else who has a better body of work ?
í'd be hard pushed to name one. But that's cos í am a Morrissey fan. So it's natural, innit?

As an admirer of alot of Bowie, he has also done a hell of a lot of godawful wank.
But if í was a fan of David Bowie í'd guess í'd think that the wank was glorious.
The sublimity of some of his work, coupled with the way that he died, and the time that he died, and the demography of the current mainstream media has led to a situation where Bowie is now seen as this untouchable Golden Messiah, whose death marked the beginning of the end of modern civilisation. But he wasn't a Messiah. He was just a very naughty boy.

:thumb:

Being Morrissey fans, of course we’re gonna say Morrissey. It’s subjective too, no?

Though when the question was posed,
for me it was Bowie that popped into my head. Simply because he has such variety in the body of work he left behind. So, no matter how you’re feeling, Bowie most likely will have it, from music hall to heavy rock, from sad crooning ballad to funk soul and electronic. And not only his music’s genres, but the characters/personas he puts on and his experiments with word play/writing styles are so varied. There’s something for everyone at the Bowie buffet ! :)

I think Dylan would of had a wider selection at his buffet table if he was as sexy as Bowie and could dance and sing as good as Bowie. Dylan, as great and as interesting as his songs are, is usually more of an acquired taste.

Though I think it takes a certain kind of person to really be into Morrissey, when it happens, there’s really no turning back. Definitely some personal deeply felt magical connection going on between the listener and THAT VOICE, one either hears it or they don’t.

Last edited:
Ok, here's another one. Tom Waits. Tom Waits has an amazing body of work starting in the early 70s and going til today full of great songs. Like Dylan, not everyone can get past his delivery. But the songs are all really solid.

:thumb:

Being Morrissey fans, of course we’re gonna say Morrissey. It’s subjective too, no?

Though when the question was posed,
for me it was Bowie that popped into my head. Simply because he has such variety in the body of work he left behind. So, no matter how you’re feeling, Bowie most likely will have it, from music hall to heavy rock, from sad crooning ballad to funk soul and electronic. And not only his music’s genres, but the characters/personas he puts on and his experiments with word play/writing styles are so varied. There’s something for everyone at the Bowie buffet ! :)

I think Dylan would of had a wider selection at his buffet table if he was as sexy as Bowie and could dance and sing as good as Bowie. Dylan, as great and as interesting as his songs are, is usually more of an acquired taste.

Though I think it takes a certain kind of person to really be into Morrissey, when it happens, there’s really no turning back. Definitely some personal deeply felt magical connection going on between the listener and THAT VOICE, one either hears it or they don’t.

That's true.

And he admits to feelings almost no one would, so you're going to find things in his work you won't find anywhere else.

Ok, here's another one. Tom Waits. Tom Waits has an amazing body of work starting in the early 70s and going til today full of great songs. Like Dylan, not everyone can get past his delivery. But the songs are all really solid.

Yeah, for me a great oeuvre has to have lots of variety and consistent quality, this is where Bowie trumps all others.

Young, Dylan,Waits,Sparks fall into that ‘acquired taste’ category. And as much as I love them, I don’t feel that Joni Mitchell and Prince are varied enough in their body of work.

Morrissey is something entirely different, and so, not for everyone.

I dunno. His songs are classics that have been covered by innumerable artists. But to each his own...

í have come to like some of his stuff more over the years.

The original question í guess depends on what type of oeuvre is your bag. í hear Dylan as a writer who sings. My preference is for singers who write. Morrissey writes fascinating words and sings them equally {often more} fascinatingly. í find Morrissey to be more invested in vocal melody than any other singer í've heard. This is an investment, í find, that has deepened and enriched over the course of his artistic life {some might suggest an equivalent divestment in his lyrical richness, but if í wasn't a wee bit wasted í'd refute that suggestion at greater length}.

But, as you say, each to their own...vibrations.

The original question í guess depends on what type of oeuvre is your bag. í hear Dylan as a writer who sings. My preference is for singers who write. Morrissey writes fascinating words and sings them equally {often more} fascinatingly. í find Morrissey to be more invested in vocal melody than any other singer í've heard. This is an investment, í find, that has deepened and enriched over the course of his artistic life {some might suggest an equivalent divestment in his lyrical richness, but if í wasn't a wee bit wasted í'd refute that suggestion at greater length}.

Let’s face it, it’s all about vibrations.

Yeah, for me a great oeuvre has to have lots of variety and consistent quality, this is where Bowie trumps all others.

Young, Dylan,Waits,Sparks fall into that ‘acquired taste’ category. And as much as I love them, I don’t feel that Joni Mitchell and Prince are varied enough in their body of work.

Morrissey is something entirely different, and so, not for everyone.
Prince has a lot of variety if you listen to it all. As much as Bowie.

You are right. If Morrissey is underrated, it is as a singer, not a songwriter. Anyone with a brain knows that he is one of the greatest lyricists in the history of popular music, but his vocal ability has gotten better and better over the years, and, now, you're right, he is just about one of the best vocalists that we have. It's a pity that more people don't appreciate that.

You are right. If Morrissey is underrated, it is as a singer, not a songwriter. Anyone with a brain knows that he is one of the greatest lyricists in the history of popular music, but his vocal ability has gotten better and better over the years, and, now, you're right, he is just about one of the best vocalists that we have. It's a pity that more people don't appreciate that.
Who could sing Meat is Murder better than Morrissey.

Back
Top Bottom