Moz in Camden last night

John Healy is an Anglo-Irish author who spent quite a while in Camden town, as a down-and-out. Then he wrote about it, and the middle-classes gave him a drubbing after first singing his praises. It's time the tale was told...

"Perhaps the greatest trick a writer can ever pull is to write about a familiar subject that has been covered a thousand times before, and bring a fresh insight to it, one that makes readers understand the subject in a profound way. If this is the case, then John Healy is something of a literary genius.

Healy’s life is as disturbing as it is implausible – he is made of the kind of stuff you couldn’t make up. He is, as Eoin Butler wrote in a short article for this newspaper’s Magazine, a “former boxer, soldier, deserter, wino and mugger” (you can read a longer piece by Eoin on Healy here). A chunk of his life was spent living rough in London, among the beggars and schemers, the addicts and derelicts, the ill and the plain unfortunate. His account of this life, The Grass Arena, is astonishing. It is brutal and unapologetic, and when it was published in 1988, it became something of a sensation. Healy had written about alcoholism, addiction and homelessness in a way that couldn’t fail to impact upon a readership. There are few books or articles that I’ve read that so brilliantly grasp the nettle (though this interview with Paul McGrath does spring to mind).

Then there is the fact that, while in prison, he replaced alcohol with chess, and rapidly became a tournament champion, beating grandmasters and even writing a book on chess tactics.

This would be enough for most people, but not Healy. Following a dispute with his publishers he disappeared from the public eye, until a surprise appearance at the Cúirt Literary Festival in 2007, and tomorrow night sees the broadcasting of John Healy: You Have Been Warned, a documentary on this extraordinary man of letters made by Paul Duane (who, incidentally, took the pictures that accompanied Eoin Butler’s article at the weekend). A longer, more in-depth version is due for limited cinema release in the near future.

Healy is a singular character, as evidenced by Eoin’s interview and this excellent interview with Erwin James (himself a former inmate), and he apparently has a cache of as-yet-unpublished work. Here’s hoping it sees the light of day. In the meantime, we have The Grass Arena and Duane’s documentary to savour." - http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/pursuedbyabear/2011/01/10/return-to-the-grass-arena/

Also, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barba...y-You-Have-Been-Warned/127848673931743?v=wall

What size rims? My friend gave me my Redline because he felt bad that the Free Agent I bought from him was stolen.

oh my point was you should get Skyway Tuff Wheels and a star disk like old schwinn cruisers.

2nap6pj.jpg

I think this is Paris Hilton's old BMX.

I have no idea what size my rims are, but I did learn last night that salad tossing is the same as a rim job. Lovely. :straightface:

I got my back back today. The guy at the bikeshop put the new chainring on not realizing that my cruiser had a certain type of derailer that was not compatible. So they took the chainring off and straightened it out. Rode it about 5 miles and changed a lot of gears today, it did fine. :thumb:

Your problem is your attitude. It's just POINTLESS being like that. If you're under some illusion that it's witty in some way, or 'Morrissey-esque' then you're sadly mistaken. I live in London, I didn't feel the need to say anything about it. Who cares whether somebody in a different country doesn't know the precise details of England's BBQ weather?

Care to enlighten me as to what exactly I'm prejudiced against?

You go girl

I have no idea what size my rims are, but I did learn last night that salad tossing is the same as a rim job. Lovely. :straightface:

I got my back back today. The guy at the bikeshop put the new chainring on not realizing that my cruiser had a certain type of derailer that was not compatible. So they took the chainring off and straightened it out. Rode it about 5 miles and changed a lot of gears today, it did fine. :thumb:

Wow I remember that BMX, my friend had one

John Healy is an Anglo-Irish author who spent quite a while in Camden town, as a down-and-out. Then he wrote about it, and the middle-classes gave him a drubbing after first singing his praises. It's time the tale was told...

"Perhaps the greatest trick a writer can ever pull is to write about a familiar subject that has been covered a thousand times before, and bring a fresh insight to it, one that makes readers understand the subject in a profound way. If this is the case, then John Healy is something of a literary genius.

Healy’s life is as disturbing as it is implausible – he is made of the kind of stuff you couldn’t make up. He is, as Eoin Butler wrote in a short article for this newspaper’s Magazine, a “former boxer, soldier, deserter, wino and mugger” (you can read a longer piece by Eoin on Healy here). A chunk of his life was spent living rough in London, among the beggars and schemers, the addicts and derelicts, the ill and the plain unfortunate. His account of this life, The Grass Arena, is astonishing. It is brutal and unapologetic, and when it was published in 1988, it became something of a sensation. Healy had written about alcoholism, addiction and homelessness in a way that couldn’t fail to impact upon a readership. There are few books or articles that I’ve read that so brilliantly grasp the nettle (though this interview with Paul McGrath does spring to mind).

Then there is the fact that, while in prison, he replaced alcohol with chess, and rapidly became a tournament champion, beating grandmasters and even writing a book on chess tactics.

This would be enough for most people, but not Healy. Following a dispute with his publishers he disappeared from the public eye, until a surprise appearance at the Cúirt Literary Festival in 2007, and tomorrow night sees the broadcasting of John Healy: You Have Been Warned, a documentary on this extraordinary man of letters made by Paul Duane (who, incidentally, took the pictures that accompanied Eoin Butler’s article at the weekend). A longer, more in-depth version is due for limited cinema release in the near future.

Healy is a singular character, as evidenced by Eoin’s interview and this excellent interview with Erwin James (himself a former inmate), and he apparently has a cache of as-yet-unpublished work. Here’s hoping it sees the light of day. In the meantime, we have The Grass Arena and Duane’s documentary to savour." - http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/pursuedbyabear/2011/01/10/return-to-the-grass-arena/

Also, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barba...y-You-Have-Been-Warned/127848673931743?v=wall

This is very interesting, thanks

Thanks. It's always interesting looking at different cultures and how they differ from where I live. I would like to go to this Camden one day.

I wouldn't get too excited by Camden, it's not what it once was-
Though there is still lots to do there it must be said.

Last edited:
No it isn't, that's ridiculous. Morrissey wants fans to go to his shows so people need to know about them. Just because somebody hasn't got a closed Facebook page doesn't necessarily mean they want their photo all over another website. I wasn't trying to get one up on anyone, I was just saying there is a photo. I don't know why it means so much to everyone. He was sitting in a pub, he wasn't out dogging!

Good point,

I like the pic!

RorschachAndProzac, I don't think you are very popular on this site...The picture has been posted anyway, which you could have saved us all the time and patience

To be faire Davie, is anyone popular on this site? you only have to disagree with the thought of the day and you get attacked, it's rather silly really- it is for this reason that Allyouneedismorrissey.com has been birthed.
Though, I have heard that the once Miss Cave did accuse Moz of being anti jew which is a tad daft.

Last edited:
Re: Moz in Camden last night . . . I was with . .

Unfortunately highly unlikely to find Morrissey in an art gallery or museum.

Well. If he stood in the Tate Modern in that jacket, he'd be undoubtedly mistaken for part of a crappy art installation, so...It's safer to stay away.

Stick to Scottish pubs!:eek:

Back
Top Bottom