New bands of Smiths-like promise

Great idea for a thread! And agreed that some grooming is in order. The video for Hurricane Laughter makes me think hipster furniture commercial. But I did like both the songs.

I spoke to someone recently whose son is in a fairly well-known "up and coming" band, who've been in the proper charts and are signed to a major label. I'm not going to say who the band is, cos I think they're alright and it wouldn't be fair.

But basically, none of the band are able to do it without considerable involvement from the bank of mum and dad. More than a top-up. Maybe that will change at some point if they get bigger, but it used to be that bands who couldn't get anywhere near the charts could make ends meet. I don't think there's much space for working-class bands to really exist anymore. In the UK, at least.

And, yes, it does make me feel old that I'm less likely nowadays to meet people in bands than to meet their parents.

I'm still loving SACK. They have the music, the lyrics, and the amazing singer's voice. I find it very unusual for any band to have all three. Sorry, they're not new and to be honest I don't know if they are even together anymore, but I've heard that they like to DJ at some Dublin clubs. Fantastic band who deserved global adoration, or even domestic adoration. The best Moz support act I've ever seen (from the early 2000's wilderness tour before Quarry).

There are no bands out there now or tomorrow that will end up being as good as The Smiths or any other classic rock band. Rock music is dying. On it's last legs.

There are no bands out there now or tomorrow that will end up being as good as The Smiths or any other classic rock band. Rock music is dying. On it's last legs.

It depends on how we define good though. I saw The Smiths 3 times and loved each album. However I think the Arctic Monkeys will be seen in years to come in the same light as The Smiths and currently The 1975 are really making a name for themselves and will probably do the same.

It depends on how we define good though. I saw The Smiths 3 times and loved each album. However I think the Arctic Monkeys will be seen in years to come in the same light as The Smiths and currently The 1975 are really making a name for themselves and will probably do the same.

I don't see it. Good band but nothing special.

I don't see it. Good band but nothing special.

Everyone view of good will be different though. Arctic Monkeys first album was the fastest selling uk debut album ever and is rated as the 30th best debut album by Rolling Stone magazine. I think in years to come they will be seen as every bit as good as The Smiths.

The thing about the smiths and what makes them so legendary was that they were ahead of there time both in lyrical substance and style. The arctic monkeys while good aren’t that distinct and won’t be the future direction of music. They’re a very good rock band

I'm not really a fan of the Arctic Mankeys but I will give The 1975 a listen, cos their name reminds me of the book by David Peace which became part of the amazing Red Riding Trilogy films.

I think Suede have an artistic integrity similar to The Smiths, and they managed to drag themselves back from the abyss after the songwriter guitarist left, and went on to create 'Coming Up' and more recently 'Bloodsports' and 'Night Thoughts'. Brett Anderson's commitment to his art is unquestionable. I'm looking forward to the new album 'The Blue Hour' as much as I would a new Moz album. Because I know it will be great.

Well, it can't happen for a lot of reasons.

But I don't think this world even wants/ desires a 'Smiths like band' ( and why should they ?).

It's all retro and 'best of' now, were new musicians
just pick and choose and mix/mash up past genres of music , BUT don't do anything really new with it, something with weight, something that will make a mark and really change peoples lives and change the music that comes after.

So far, the bands mentioned will not change the music that comes after.

I'm still loving SACK. They have the music, the lyrics, and the amazing singer's voice. I find it very unusual for any band to have all three. Sorry, they're not new and to be honest I don't know if they are even together anymore, but I've heard that they like to DJ at some Dublin clubs. Fantastic band who deserved global adoration, or even domestic adoration. The best Moz support act I've ever seen (from the early 2000's wilderness tour before Quarry).

Sack were amazing! Defo my fave Moz-support ever. A shame their music is hard to find these days.

As for new Smiths-like bands? There aren’t anymore I’m afraid. The whole band-thing seems outdated now. And it’s more a good song here and there then entire discographies.

Back
Top Bottom