New book - Marr's Guitars (Release: October 17, 2023)

full

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone's interested, Nielsen Bookscan reports that Johnny's book sold 3,400 copies in its first week. For an expensive book, that's not too shabby.

Any update on Johnny's book sales after the holidays? I know a few people (guitar players) who got his book for Christmas.

Any update on Johnny's book sales after the holidays? I know a few people (guitar players) who got his book for Christmas.
Yes, current UK print sales are now 13,500 units, so it's sold very steadily since publication. (And again: given the price, those are impressive numbers.)

The book is very niche, so I can't imagine it being a huge seller. Which the publisher surely knows, hence the expensive price.
Sure it's niche, but the expensive price is due to the format - a massive coffee table size hardback book, with full colour gloss photos on every page. I don't think there's anyway to do such a project 'on the cheap'. Art books are always pricey.

IMG_5220.jpeg

Not necessarily on-topic but just wanted to talk about my Schecter Nick Johnston.

Owned a couple of Stratocasters previously and much prefer this, it’s a little punchier, nice flat fingerboard and thin neck.
I’ve been playing a lot of smiths/solo stuff on it and it really suits a lot of Marr’s riffs, the thinner neck profile especially I find playing this sort of thing much easier and more comfortable.
The bridge has been decked which makes it sound ‘spankier’ to me and the action has been set higher than probably most would like.

If anyone is in the market for a strat style guitar that is a bit different I cannot recommend this more, I haven’t played it in months but coming back to it now I can’t believe how great it sounds.

Perhaps i have the wrong end of the stick, isn't he just saying it's a pre Smiths and Joyce era guitar, there are a fair few other guitars like the Tele that he used in the early Smiths period.

I received this for Christmas. I am neither a guitarist nor an aficionado of arty photos but this is a really lovely book. A job well done.

Nice to see Johnny selling out places like the Hammersmith Apollo. looking forward to this and also his support slots with James in Lytham and New Order in Wythenshawe this summer!

Back
Top Bottom