New Cribs video 'Cheat on Me'

Re: New Cribs video with Johnny Marr

:(

I wish he wasn't in that band. I do not like them. It makes me sad. I want to like them... but I just don't.

:(

I wish he wasn't in that band. I do not like them. It makes me sad. I want to like them... but I just don't.

Yes, I agree with you. And this song is pretty lackluster. Getting past the vocals though, it's worth listening to for Johnny's guitar playing. You can hear him in the left speaker. A bit of George Harrison there.

I wish he would get together with other musicans and create a brand new band.

After touring with Modest Mouse, hanging out with the Jarmen brothers and playing guitar is probably a very sane thing to do right now.

Last edited:

I just wish he would work with a decent singer. All these generic indie bands have hopelessly bland singers. That's why they all sound the same.

The Cribs aren't exactly The Smiths but I am just glad to see Johnny happy doing what he is doing.

The guy has nothing to prove to anyone, he has already established himself as a fantastic guitarist and songwriter and is now venturing into new areas.

I will listen a bit more to The Cribs!

Love PTxx.

The Cribs aren't exactly The Smiths but I am just glad to see Johnny happy doing what he is doing.

The guy has nothing to prove to anyone, he has already established himself as a fantastic guitarist and songwriter and is now venturing into new areas.

I will listen a bit more to The Cribs!

Love PTxx.

From a blog review:

"The Cribs are back, with Johnny Marr now fully in tow. The scuzz and density from their self-titled album is but a piece of history, with ‘Cheat On Me’ a completely different offering...Where the fresh charm of ‘You Were Always The One’ came from its summery, garagey danceability, this song’s main draw is Marr’s inventive guitar lines."

For a Marr fan, what more can you ask for?

I just wish he would work with a decent singer. All these generic indie bands have hopelessly bland singers. That's why they all sound the same.
I agree. Haven't listened to The Cribs at all because I don't like his voice..

Johnny Marr on The Cribs
By John Earls

When did it click between you and The Cribs?
As soon as we plugged in to play, a feeling came over us that we didn't expect. We knew we could craft an EP of three songs. That just takes a certain skill. But when it's really right, it's outside of the intellect. Within 15 minutes, we'd written the music to We Were Aborted. It was just obvious there was more stuff to come. When it's that right, it dictates how your life is.

Were you worried they were after you for your reputation, not as a
musician?

No, because I knew they were super-cool. I knew it wasn't a case of putting my name on the marquee. They can hold their own - you only have to look at their work with Lee Ranaldo, Alex Kapranos and Edwyn Collins. Put it this way, I know whether or not it's happening, and when you fire off 17 or 18 high-quality songs in 14 months, you don't really question it!

Is the buzz of creating music as intense now as in your earliest days?
Yeah, it's a force you're always going looking for. You understand it a little more as you get older, and you probably go looking for it more. It's the force that, once it touches you, you can't pretend it's never happened. The importance of what I'm doing never diminishes - it's no bigger and it's no less, whether it's inspiration or getting the job done.

Have you ever worried that inspiration has deserted you?
No, I know it's there. But there are times when you're out of the position to see it, when your life turns to s***. That hasn't happened to me too often, thankfully, but you aren't human if you don't go through some of those periods. I can't really do anything if I'm in a funk. I try to make an effort to be interested in life, and therefore interested in music.

Does it help in making music that Ryan Jarman is a fellow guitarist?
A lot. Two electric guitars is my favourite sound in the universe, but it's often a missed opportunity. You see bands where one guy is strumming away and the other guy is doing fiddly bits on top. Ryan and I consciously create the sound of two guitarists, without sacrificing the hooks or melodies. I can only imagine that's going to get better. Our agenda is to create Guitarzilla.

Ignore The Ignorant sounds like the most romantic Cribs album to
date...

"Romantic" is a really good word for it, thank you. All three of the Jarmans are romantic and idealistic. They're streetwise too, but Gary in particular has that romantic aspect to him. A lot gets made of The Cribs that they throw themselves around on stage and jump into the audience. But that wouldn't mean very much unless you've got decent tunes first.

Last edited:

Have to say I really love this song. Some fantastic guitar work on there and I like the singer. I think the whole sound just 'works'. You can hear the way Johnny has shaped the sound and feel of the song. I like:thumb::)

More from the above interview

How important is The Cribs' ideology?
It always impressed me. They stand out on their own in wanting to say something, without being too po-faced about it. It surprises me how little people have to say now. I don't want to criticise other bands, but it's a missed opportunity to communicate with your audience, particularly if it's young. A lot of switched-on, active young people love The Cribs, a lot of school kids.

Why don't more bands take that chance?
It's quite easy to be in a band on a whim these days, as technology has made it easy to make records. People who have musical aptitude can do so without being committed, to the point where you can make music as a lifestyle choice. It is a downside to technology. There are a lot of upsides: I hate that "Things were better in my day" outlook. But the pendulum has swung, and a lot of bland ideas can get through.

Do you worry people miss out on seeing the humour in the Jarman brothers?
No, as I actually quite like it when things go under the radar and they're a little bit covert. It amuses me. You can't be all things to all men, and it's more important that you're in a cool band. But the first time I met Ryan, I could see he was both super-smart and utterly hilarious. It's easy to paint them as dour northerners, but people are very rarely their public image.

Was it frustrating to read "Smiths to reform" stories when you were making the new album?
I don't care about it that much, because it's only a story. There's worse things in life that can happen to you than people really loving your band. You have to get it in perspective. It's just all a little inane, a bit showbiz. I do feel it's a little awkward for the people I'm working with and a bit disrespectful, but The Cribs were just amused by it.

Did you contribute lyrically to Ignore The Ignorant?
Not at all. I didn't need to, and I didn't want to. We've got two more than capable lyricists. That's good for me, as all my energies went into the guitar. I don't just strap on a guitar and hope for the best, I think about what I need to improve at. I don't mean technically, I'm not interested in that. If I have to play something ambitious, it's because the tune is ambitious.

Do you ever have axe-hero moments of pulling off a face-shredding solo?
I never did! The closest I got was trying to learn Bert Jansch's guitar parts, as I felt they were just out of reach. If I have an idea, I can wring the guitar until I get it. I listen to a lot of old records, and I might hear something in a Motown piano or a Four Tops flute. I trick myself into thinking it's a guitar part and think "Right, Johnny, that's a good idea."

Johnny Marr has said he still intends to make more albums with his band The Healers, despite joining The Cribs.

"I'd love to do four or five Healers albums eventually," Marr told PS.

He added: "Learning more skills is great. There's so many things I've not done, and it'd take several lifetimes to achieve all I want to do in music. Writing several albums' worth of lyrics is definitely one of them."

Here's a vid on the making of the vid.

Last edited:

More from the above interview

How important is The Cribs' ideology?
It always impressed me. They stand out on their own in wanting to say something, without being too po-faced about it. It surprises me how little people have to say now. I don't want to criticise other bands, but it's a missed opportunity to communicate with your audience, particularly if it's young. A lot of switched-on, active young people love The Cribs, a lot of school kids.

Why don't more bands take that chance?
It's quite easy to be in a band on a whim these days, as technology has made it easy to make records. People who have musical aptitude can do so without being committed, to the point where you can make music as a lifestyle choice. It is a downside to technology. There are a lot of upsides: I hate that "Things were better in my day" outlook. But the pendulum has swung, and a lot of bland ideas can get through.

Do you worry people miss out on seeing the humour in the Jarman brothers?
No, as I actually quite like it when things go under the radar and they're a little bit covert. It amuses me. You can't be all things to all men, and it's more important that you're in a cool band. But the first time I met Ryan, I could see he was both super-smart and utterly hilarious. It's easy to paint them as dour northerners, but people are very rarely their public image.

Was it frustrating to read "Smiths to reform" stories when you were making the new album?
I don't care about it that much, because it's only a story. There's worse things in life that can happen to you than people really loving your band. You have to get it in perspective. It's just all a little inane, a bit showbiz. I do feel it's a little awkward for the people I'm working with and a bit disrespectful, but The Cribs were just amused by it.

Did you contribute lyrically to Ignore The Ignorant?
Not at all. I didn't need to, and I didn't want to. We've got two more than capable lyricists. That's good for me, as all my energies went into the guitar. I don't just strap on a guitar and hope for the best, I think about what I need to improve at. I don't mean technically, I'm not interested in that. If I have to play something ambitious, it's because the tune is ambitious.

Do you ever have axe-hero moments of pulling off a face-shredding solo?
I never did! The closest I got was trying to learn Bert Jansch's guitar parts, as I felt they were just out of reach. If I have an idea, I can wring the guitar until I get it. I listen to a lot of old records, and I might hear something in a Motown piano or a Four Tops flute. I trick myself into thinking it's a guitar part and think "Right, Johnny, that's a good idea."

Johnny Marr has said he still intends to make more albums with his band The Healers, despite joining The Cribs.

"I'd love to do four or five Healers albums eventually," Marr told PS.

4 or 5 more Healers albums? Heaven help us!

The Cribs "Cheat on Me"

Listening to this live on Jose's Morrissey/Smiths radio show.

The guitar/music is actually a lot better than I thought it'd be! Almost has a Roses feel to it, but for the love of God ditch that vocalist.

Re: The Cribs "Cheat on Me"

Hardly going to ditch the singer when its 3 brothers though!!

Great track.

thecribscomic3.jpg

This is part of a comic which tells the story of The Cribs, in shorthand, while promoting the new album Ignore The Ignorant.

"...day job playing in The Smiths." :rolleyes:

Cheat On Me is one of the new Cribs songs with Johnny playing some nice guitar.

Like most of Marr's recent collaborations if there was no video I wouldn't even know it was him. Those crabs better enjoy it while it lasts because I can't see this lasting long. That guitar could be anyone. He must be enjoy playing with them but it smacks of a nobel prize winning professor helping the kids with their homework:D

Back
Top Bottom