New Morrissey statement, and comment from Love Music Hate Racism

So, you are saying Morrissey is a subspecies? Morrissey himself, sued this very website to have a message that was leaked between him and then Sanctuary records executive Merck Mercuriadis removed. The message detailed (amongst other things) Moz's reference to a self created animal right's controversy as to why "The Youngest Was the Most Loved" wasn't charting higher. So whatever, this is just Morrissey's way of ginning up interest. Boring and sad.

Morrissey is some sort of subspecies I think. He's the end of the family line, the world's ugliest man, he creepy-crawls under the floorboards, and... could I go on, should I go on? No? But that's not what I said.

In general I have a pet peeve with people that jump to the nearest illogical conclusion about everything, just because it is the cynical assumption, cynical having been equated with clever somehow in their minds. Do you honestly believe that the best way to sell a record is to insult a nation of a billion plus? He could have said something about Prince Harry, or the Queen, or Pete Doherty or ...something. I'm sure England has someone currently making a fool of themselves that everyone is sick of, and he could have skewered them in his clever way and won a good first week's sales for the Bona Drag reissue.

I believe that Morrissey is mythmaking. He uses the press to put out the idea of what Morrissey is, and selling records is secondary.

Morrissey's reference to "The Youngest Was The Most Loved" not charting higher did not say what you think it did. You'll have to go find it though. That's your job if you want to cite something. From memory, he was saying that people did not do their jobs correctly and he said that he had been getting a lot of press for a comment, as an aside. He did not say "I did my part and made a controversial remark."

The point here is not to debate whether "subspecies" is racist language. It is.

It's too bad you surrounded that statement of fact with a thousand words of spin-control.

I don't know you personally, Cornflakes, and maybe you're an activist out there fighting the good fight. But in the bigger picture, my point stands. If I have the numbers right, something like 60% of the British public opposed joining up with the U.S. to fight an illegal war in Iraq. Blair sent them over anyway and threw in British money and blood to support a U.S. effort that resulted in disaster. He should be in prison or hanging from the nearest tree. Instead shoes are thrown at him. Viva democracy.

I admire the courage of Tony Blair for helping to liberate Iraq from a genocidal regime. He said he would've been twisting Bush's arm to do so if Bush had gotten cold feet. I guess those who spin-control for pop stars who call whole peoples a "subspecies" don't much care about the plight of, say, the Kurdish people, though. Maybe they're just a "subspecies" too? Maybe they didn't deserve a new future?

Keep on mourning Saddam Hussein, his two lovely sons, and his genocidal, war-mongering, and monstrous regime. Taking that regime down was one of the best things America has done in a long time, was something we owed to the people of Iraq, and was something that cost the American taxpayers over 8 years far less than Obama's failed, economy-wrecking stimulus package has cost us over 2 years.

Yikes:

Deficits.gif

For some reason Morrissey called toppling the terrorist-funding, genocidal Baath regime "terrorism" but he never called the Baath regime itself "terrorist".

America is so "terroristic" to the Iraqis that a vast majority of Iraqis recently polled said they don't want us to leave. Hmm. I guess the shoe-throwers (athletically dodged by W.) represented the Saddam supporters, a wicked minority of Iraq. Meanwhile, a majority of Iraqis, like a majority of Americans, don't care for this Barack Obama clown.

Anyway, we know Iraq would've been a disaster had we elected John Kerry in 2004, which is why we didn't vote for that jack-ass. For those with memories, racall that John Kerry booked himself on Meet The Press on the eve of Iraq's election, fully expecting to go on about what a disaster it was. When the reality defied his expectations, he sat on Meet The Press like a fool, with nothing to talk about. An election he would have called off had he been President. Thank God he was not. ANYONE who claims to care about Iraqis at all should thank God that John Kerry lost.

Nor, thankfully, did President Bush listen to that clown from Chicago, Barack Obama, trying to school him on foreign policy.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P_igpyewuzQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P_igpyewuzQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Thank God President Bush didn't follow the advice of that idiot.

Unfortunately we now have that idiot in the White House. And we see the results, which are, sadly, far worse than even us Obama-bashers had predicted. November can't come soon enough......

Last edited:
No i don't believe "that Morrissey really believes that people of Chinese origin are somehow lesser beings than the rest of us" - not in the cold light of day (although perhaps subconciously he does) but i do believe now that he is capable of racist slips that suggest some deeply held simplistic prejudice concerning different races and nations - i didn't think that before this quote! - i have defended every word in the past and suddenly i feel a little let down - what on earth made him say subspecies???? gasp! - for 18 years i fell defending his name...........

the schockingness of the video (which we agree on) does not create or provoke or justify the racism

You really need to get off of your goody-goody high horse (or high chair) and start using your own brain instead of trying to surmise what everyone else might be thinking. It's utterly patronising of you. Were you offended by this comment? Can you really imagine ANYONE being offended by this comment? If so, who? And does it really matter? Do we really need to be so f***ing careful all the time about everything we say in case someone, somewhere might take offence? What's so wrong about letting them feel it? This comment was not designed to and will not insight racial hatred. Only an idiot would suggest this. And only a fool would not see clearly that this whole sham of a "row" has been constructed by the low brow Guardian to shift units. And why wouldn't they? They know there is a subspecies out there who find it impossible to think for themselves on any matter and who feel so lonely and disconnected with the world that they are desperately waiting to join in with any passing lynch mob that limps by. You are a follower of the latest one. Shouting: "yeah, me too. He said something wrong... didn't he?Hang him! Fight, fight, fight...". Fools, the lot of you.

However, I see nothing wrong with calling people who "skin animals alive" rather than killing them first to avoid their suffering "a piece of shit.":)

Nor do I. But the use of language is simliar in both cases. You're embroidering your point with a spot of color. So was Morrissey. You weren't literally saying animal skinners are "pieces of shit". Nor was Morrissey saying Chinese people are literally a "subspecies".

Damn Worm, it's good hearing from you again. Whatcha been listening to lately? I've gone back to my roots and really been into "The Doors" and especially a lot of Morrison's poetry. There has also been quite a bit of unreleased and unearthed music and lyrics which I hadn't heard the first time round (early '90's). There is also a good documentary "People are Strange" which is out now.

It's nice to see the old gang, isn't it? Everyone likes to get together and discuss a new album or the latest row in the press. I can't figure out which I find more interesting these days. :)

I'm afraid The Doors don't really speak to me. I do love each of the Bunnymen's covers of The Doors, though, so go figure. Maybe it's something about the music and I need a more post-punkish interpretation. I like Jim Morrison. I'd like him more if he'd shown off a better sense of humor. In the past I disparaged his songs and poems, but nowadays I'm much more appreciative. I wish to God we had a few more rock singers who were pretentiously invoking Dionysus and waving their cocks around onstage. The world would be less boring. :rolleyes:

You really need to get off of your goody-goody high horse (or high chair) and start using your own brain instead of trying to surmise what everyone else might be thinking. It's utterly patronising of you. Were you offended by this comment? Can you really imagine ANYONE being offended by this comment? If so, who? And does it really matter? Do we really need to be so f***ing careful all the time about everything we say in case someone, somewhere might take offence? What's so wrong about letting them feel it? This comment was not designed to and will not insight racial hatred. Only an idiot would suggest this. And only a fool would not see clearly that this whole sham of a "row" has been constructed by the low brow Guardian to shift units. And why wouldn't they? They know there is a subspecies out there who find it impossible to think for themselves on any matter and who feel so lonely and disconnected with the world that they are desperately waiting to join in with any passing lynch mob that limps by. You are a follower of the latest one. Shouting: "yeah, me too. He said something wrong... didn't he?Hang him! Fight, fight, fight...". Fools, the lot of you.

i don't think i'm on a high horse - i don't think you are listening:
All i am saying is that Morrisseys remarks are indefensible - which is a shame.

Like it or not there is still a cloud over Morrissey in many peoples minds regarding racism - the NME are yet to be sued - why? Some of my close friends who generally like his music believe he is probably a bit rasict on the quiet.
For nearly 20 years i have loved Morrissey (and continue to do so) - literally defending his name on the subject many times over. There was a time when, as Morrissey himself noted, it was very difficult to be a Morrissey fan, when if by chance you would declare yourself a fan, you were inevitably asked why? and then you'd have to defend quotes and flags and lyrics and badges - which i did (and will continue to do) - I remember being hassled in the street occasionally just for wearing a Morrissey T-shirt - most notably in Camden.
When a friend said to me the other day "Did you hear that Morrissey said the Chinese are a subspecies" my first reaction was "don't be silly - i don't believe you, he wouldn't say that".
especially since that last NME interview (which i still believe was a stitch up)
A dash to the laptop revealed i was half right he'd said "you can't help but feel...." but never the less i felt my heart sink because this one is impossible to defend.

Far right racist groups actually believe in things like human subspecies ie subhumans (specifcally relating to China and its the culture or percieved lack of) - it is a deeply racist view - it is not something i could consider even for a second

When people would say that Morrissey uses the language of the far right i would say "he is a poet with a good heart and a sharp tongue and he speaks the truth from many different perspectives" - I'd defend him at every turn

but this specific quote is going to be a struggle to defend without simply saying it doesn't matter because no one is actually offended - that isn't the point - probably no one is offended - they are just words in print after all. - but i doubt i could be so bold as to defend this quote with that defence without being a bit embarassed.

I am not easily offended - had it been a joke i probably would have laughed
I don't think Morrissey should be hung or boycotted or prosecuted or anything like that at all - and i don't want a fight

but lets say you overheard someone at work talking and they concluded a sentence with "you can't help but feel Africans are a subspecies" - would you just let that go because no one was offended? - would you even care about the context if the conversation was serious?

Obviously this is a storm in a tea cup - but still i do feel a bit let down thats all

Last edited:
i don't think i'm on a high horse - i don't think you are listening:
All i am saying is that Morrisseys remarks are indefensible - which is a shame.

Like it or not there is still a cloud over Morrissey in many peoples minds regarding racism - the NME are yet to be sued - why? Some of my close friends who generally like his music believe he is probably a bit rasict on the quiet.
For nearly 20 years i have loved Morrissey (and continue to do so) - literally defending his name on the subject many times over. There was a time when, as Morrissey himself noted, it was very difficult to be a Morrissey fan, when if by chance you would declare yourself a fan, you were inevitably asked why? and then you'd have to defend quotes and flags and lyrics and badges - which i did (and will continue to do) - I remember being hassled in the street occasionally just for wearing a Morrissey T-shirt - most notably in Camden.
When a friend said to me the other day "Did you hear that Morrissey said the Chinese are a subspecies" my first reaction was "don't be silly - i don't believe you, he wouldn't say that".
especially since that last NME interview (which i still believe was a stitch up)
A dash to the laptop revealed i was half right he'd said "you can't help but feel...." but never the less i felt my heart sink because this one is impossible to defend.

Far right racist groups actually believe in things like human subspecies ie subhumans (specifcally relating to China and its the culture or percieved lack of) - it is a deeply racist view - it is not something i could consider even for a second

When people would say that Morrissey uses the language of the far right i would say "he is a poet with a good heart and a sharp tongue and he speaks the truth from many different perspectives" - I'd defend him at every turn

but this specific quote is going to be a struggle to defend without simply saying it doesn't matter because no one is actually offended - that isn't the point - probably no one is offended - they are just words in print after all. - but i doubt i could be so bold as to defend this quote with that defence without being a bit embarassed.

I am not easily offended - had it been a joke i probably would have laughed
I don't think Morrissey should be hung or boycotted or prosecuted or anything like that at all - and i don't want a fight

but lets say you overheard someone at work talking and they concluded a sentence with "you can't help but feel Africans are a subspecies" - would you just let that go because no one was offended? - would you even care about the context if the conversation was serious?

Obviously this is a storm in a tea cup - but still i do feel a bit let down thats all

Defending a soundbite from anyone is difficult. Defending one of Morrissey's is impossible. I'm happy to blab about him in this forum among people who have some sense of his art and personality, but even here it's difficult. In person I think I'd just say the comment was stupid but Morrissey isn't racist, then change the subject to knickers.

By the same token, though, for those whose minds can only process soundbites, memorize this one and send it back their way, along with a mention of the 28,000 pounds he gave Love Music Hate Racism:

I abhor racism and oppression or cruelty of any kind. Racism is beyond common sense and has no place in our society.​

Defending a soundbite from anyone is difficult. Defending one of Morrissey's is impossible. I'm happy to blab about him in this forum among people who have some sense of his art and personality, but even here it's difficult. In person I think I'd just say the comment was stupid but Morrissey isn't racist, then change the subject to knickers.

By the same token, though, for those whose minds can only process soundbites, memorize this one and send it back their way, along with a mention of the 28,000 pounds he gave Love Music Hate Racism:

I abhor racism and oppression or cruelty of any kind. Racism is beyond common sense and has no place in our society.​

"In person I think I'd just say the comment was stupid but Morrissey isn't racist, then change the subject to knickers."

and when pressed? (not the knickers) how do you know he isn't racist? He does after all appear to say racist things? Even a lifetime of contradictory example of opposing such opression is not enough when faced with such a stark clear message - how do you explain away this quote? just because its a sound bite doesn't mean he doesn't say it and mean it.

"the chinese are a subspecies" - is clearly and blatantly a racist statement (more than just stupid) and the "You can't help but feel....." run up doesn't make it much better - that conclusion is never justifiable or reasonable or funny.

I was delighted when morrissey said at "I abhor racism and oppression or cruelty of any kind. Racism is beyond common sense and has no place in our society." - that shut my friends up
but that quote doesn't sit well next to "you can't help but feel the chinese are a subspecies" - It is an ugly contradiction - you can't believe both statements at the same time - so which is the truth?

and when he gave that money to LMHR i thought it was a smart and generous move, now it just looks like a smart move - of course the LMHR campaign is a joke - they will stick there noses in the air and disown Morrissey but there is no chance that they will give Morrissey back his money - its just a shame because the rest of that interview was really good.

"In person I think I'd just say the comment was stupid but Morrissey isn't racist, then change the subject to knickers."

and when pressed? (not the knickers) how do you know he isn't racist? He does after all appear to say racist things? Even a lifetime of contradictory example of opposing such opression is not enough when faced with such a stark clear message - how do you explain away this quote? just because its a sound bite doesn't mean he doesn't say it and mean it.

"the chinese are a subspecies" - is clearly and blatantly a racist statement (more than just stupid) and the "You can't help but feel....." run up doesn't make it much better - that conclusion is never justifiable or reasonable or funny.

I was delighted when morrissey said at "I abhor racism and oppression or cruelty of any kind. Racism is beyond common sense and has no place in our society." - that shut my friends up
but that quote doesn't sit well next to "you can't help but feel the chinese are a subspecies" - It is an ugly contradiction - you can't believe both statements at the same time - so which is the truth?

and when he gave that money to LMHR i thought it was a smart and generous move, now it just looks like a smart move - of course the LMHR campaign is a joke - they will stick there noses in the air and disown Morrissey but there is no chance that they will give Morrissey back his money - its just a shame because the rest of that interview was really good.

I don't meant to sound like I'm dodging but I've already explained my thoughts on why Morrissey is not a racist elsewhere...sorry...there are about four or five concurrent threads going and I've already repeated myself too much. Rest assured I'm right. :)

However, I can't resist adding that, as a general rule, which I think holds up to basic logic, if presented with two flatly contradictory statements whose veracity cannot be resolved one way or the other, you can only conclude that you cannot make up your mind. Meaning, you can't prove he's not a racist but they can't prove he is. Stalemate wins. The conversation marches forth and the grand wheel of existence keeps turning.

Looks like Morrissey won't be touring China any time. Has he ever played China before?

I don't meant to sound like I'm dodging but I've already explained my thoughts on why Morrissey is not a racist elsewhere...sorry...there are about four or five concurrent threads going and I've already repeated myself too much. Rest assured I'm right. :)

However, I can't resist adding that, as a general rule, which I think holds up to basic logic, if presented with two flatly contradictory statements whose veracity cannot be resolved one way or the other, you can only conclude that you cannot make up your mind. Meaning, you can't prove he's not a racist but they can't prove he is. Stalemate wins. The conversation marches forth and the grand wheel of existence keeps turning.

why bother to post at all then?
and your logic is weak - stalemate is a loss

why bother to post at all then?
and your logic is weak - stalemate is a loss

We're talking about an ecounter on the street, in a pub, over the dinner table, on the bus, or at the local butcher shop. We're talking about people who only think in soundbites. If someone comes up to me and says, "I heard Morrissey called Chinese people a subspecies. What a racist scumbag", then I will calmly answer, "He also said, and I quote, 'I abhor racism and oppression or cruelty of any kind. Racism is beyond common sense and has no place in our society'. Will you kindly stop breathing in my face now?"

On a forum, in a discussion setting, there is more room to make an argument that Morrissey is not racist. That is what we are doing. If someone already thinks Morrissey is a racist, there is no question that a longer, detailed, nuanced defense is needed. He flirts with disaster, to quote the sages at the NME; we know this and we know there isn't a simple answer for some of the things he's said in the press or in his songs.

Stalemate is not a loss for this reason. If presented with contradictory evidence, they will be forced to admit he may or may not be racist, but they aren't sure. It becomes a mystery, a gray area, like the yeti. If they insist, they've lost. Anyone who naively interprets a single quote pulled out of context from an interview will, logically, have to naively interpret a single quote pulled out of context from another interview. Anyone who denies this simple logic has already lost the argument.

Last edited:
We're talking about an ecounter on the street, in a pub, over the dinner table, on the bus, or at the local butcher shop. We're talking about people who only think in soundbites. If someone comes up to me and says, "I heard Morrissey called Chinese people a subspecies. What a racist scumbag", then I will calmly answer, "He also said, and I quote, 'I abhor racism and oppression or cruelty of any kind. Racism is beyond common sense and has no place in our society'. Will you kindly stop breathing in my face now?"

On a forum, in a discussion setting, there is more room to make an argument that Morrissey is not racist. That is what we are doing. If someone already thinks Morrissey is a racist, there is no question that a longer, detailed, nuanced defense is needed. He flirts with disaster, to quote the sages at the NME; we know this and we know there isn't a simple answer for some of the things he's said in the press or in his songs.

Stalemate is not a loss for this reason. If presented with contradictory evidence, they will be forced to admit he may or may not be racist, but they aren't sure. It becomes a mystery, a gray area, like the yeti. If they insist, they've lost. Anyone who naively interprets a single quote pulled out of context from an interview will, logically, have to naively interpret a single quote pulled out of context from another interview. Anyone who denies this simple logic has already lost the argument.

When someone asked me before this "is morrisey racist?" i would say "Nope" - now i'd have to say "i don't know" - that is a loss

When someone asked me before this "is morrisey racist?" i would say "Nope" - now i'd have to say "i don't know" - that is a loss

Well, see, here we get into a dilemma that has more to do with one's ability to win any given argument rather than whether or not one is right, a difference familiar to anyone who watches courtroom TV dramas.

The truth is that Morrissey is not a racist.

You can tell someone this, and they will of course ask for proof. If you know them well, and trust that they will understand a longer argument, then it's easy to do. Take a few minutes and do it.

But, frankly-- and here I admit I'm giving you some insight into my opinion of those on the other side of this unholy uproar-- I don't think many people who come to you already believing Morrissey is a racist will listen to your explanation. In fact, they are usually the sort who think any argument which lasts longer than ten words is automatically, by definition, nothing more than bullshit. So you've lost. Even though you're right, you've lost the argument. That's how it goes. In my case, I have probably written thousands of words about Morrissey not being racist and the mere fact of saying more than "nope" already means my arguments have been dismissed. This is the result of living in a soundbite society that freaks out every time it runs into ambiguity. (Morrissey's remark was not ambiguous; Morrissey, however, is.)

So! This is why I say: the best, surest way to win the argument is to quote Morrissey's statement: "I abhor racism and oppression or cruelty of any kind. Racism is beyond common sense and has no place in our society." You will get one of two responses, which I outlined above.

Add: in this age of Facebook, when you can link to longer texts, the simplest and most efficient response is to link to Neil McCormack's article, here: Sanity!. Neil said it best, and Neil said it shortest. It will make no difference, but you can say you tried.

Last edited:
Well, see, here we get into a dilemma that has more to do with one's ability to win any given argument rather than whether or not one is right, a difference familiar to anyone who watches courtroom TV dramas.

The truth is that Morrissey is not a racist.

You can tell someone this, and they will of course ask for proof. If you know them well, and trust that they will understand a longer argument, then it's easy to do. Take a few minutes and do it.

But, frankly-- and here I admit I'm giving you some insight into my opinion of those on the other side of this unholy uproar-- I don't think many people who come to you already believing Morrissey is a racist will listen to your explanation. In fact, they are usually the sort who think any argument which lasts longer than ten words is automatically, by definition, nothing more than bullshit. So you've lost. Even though you're right, you've lost the argument. That's how it goes. In my case, I have probably written thousands of words about Morrissey not being racist and the mere fact of saying more than "nope" already means my arguments have been dismissed. This is the result of living in a soundbite society that freaks out every time it runs into ambiguity. (Morrissey's remark was not ambiguous; Morrissey, however, is.)

So! This is why I say: the best, surest way to win the argument is to quote Morrissey's statement: "I abhor racism and oppression or cruelty of any kind. Racism is beyond common sense and has no place in our society." You will get one of two responses, which I outlined above.

Add: in this age of Facebook, when you can link to longer texts, the simplest and most efficient response is to link to Neil McCormack's article, here: Sanity!. Neil said it best, and Neil said it shortest. It will make no difference, but you can say you tried.

The thing that you are missing worm is that i already know the arguments (i don't need you to repeat yourself or give me a link or patronise me into thinking my friends must be dimwits who hate art - far from it and my aim goes beyond shutting them up - i know the aguments already because i have used them and believed them myself. Before this i could claim with confidence that Morrissey has NEVER said anything racist quite apart from the mountain of evidence that Morrissey is not racist (which remains) there was also no evidence anywhere that he was racist, no quote, no song, no haircut - provocative yes always, but not racist there was just no evidence at all - now regretably there is evidence

You can't dismiss this quote as just a soundbite, even with context it is a racist notion. Tell me the context that make the quote okay?
Yes small minded people twist words but these words don't need twisting because they are already twisted.

Before this i could claim with confidence that Morrissey has NEVER said anything racist

What? Really? Where have you been? He's been making dodgy remarks since 1986. My God, I'm his staunchest defender, and I would never claim his record is spotless. I sat in my room listening to "Bengali In Platforms" and I knew then and there, on the first listen, without the aid of the NME or anyone else, that he was "swimming in murky waters" (thanks Martin Smith!).

Jeez Louise. No wonder this "subspecies" row has hit you so hard.

quite apart from the mountain of evidence that Morrissey is not racist (which remains)

Then what's the problem? If anyone gives you shit, smash them with the mountain. If the mountain is too heavy, smash them with this: "I abhor racism and oppression or cruelty of any kind. Racism is beyond common sense and has no place in our society."

Tell me the context that make the quote okay?

The context? Morrissey is the context. Plenty of adequate context there, I should think.

Let me respectfully ask you a question. How is it you confidently claim to have "a mountain of evidence" that Morrissey is not a racist, yet this mountain crumbles away and scatters to the four winds just because he made an obviously emotional off-the-cuff remark? Doesn't that give you pause? How can one word overturn a mountain?

If his quote is so obvious, and can't be explained away, then please tell me why this quote isn't just as obvious, and just as impossible to explain away: "I abhor racism and oppression or cruelty of any kind. Racism is beyond common sense and has no place in our society."

Last edited:
The term 'racist' is now being used by people who have a need to whip up a secular image of a downtrodden presupposed 'minority' who are the 'underdogs', and will never be able to lose that image unless the majority stand up for them verbally by telling everyone else to leave the poor darlings alone

From the first link on that page:

"Q:

What potential do you think art has as a vehicle for social change?

Alysha Layla Shaw
Santa Fe, New Mexico, U.S.A.

A:

hello Alysha
Feminism - yes, Greenpeace - yes, PETA - yes, Art - no. Most people have no interest in Art, and only accept it under extreme protest. All media heroes are Artless, all politicians are devoid of Art, and anyone in music attempting to convey Art is usually ridiculed. I think it's safe to say that the human race is probably scum, on the whole. There's no evidence to the contrary."

:eek:

Morrissey's an equal opportunity offender! ;)

Tags
too many words
Back
Top Bottom