New York, NY - United Palace (Oct. 22, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Our Frank / Suedehead / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Alma Matters / Half A Person / I Wish You Lonely / Let Me Kiss You / How Soon Is Now? / Girlfriend In A Coma / Darling, I Hug A Pillow / The Loop / Istanbul / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Irish Blood, English Heart / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Jack The Ripper // Speedway

Setlist courtesy of @Amsden & @FROSTY

Last edited:
just a thought,concerts like everything else are not designed to be attended night after night.
would you go to a football match then attend the very same match the next night.
would you go and see a film in the cinema then go and see the same film the next night.
would you go to a museum then go back to the same museum the next day.
suppose its a different experience night after night but you get the general idea.

This is absolutely absurd. Of course concerts are meant to be attended night after night. Every single person I know does this, and if someone is a fan of an artist it's completely normal to want to see them when they're doing a run in your city. Every time I have seen a band do this, the band will even acknowledge this fact and ask the audience who was there the other nights, or thank people for coming every night, or intentionally change the setlist night after night to make things more exciting. It's actually not asking a lot.

I completely understand, especially in a place like Las Vegas, that most people are only going to see one show. What percentage of the audience are freaks like me? What percentage actually sees multiple nights? In terms of business, I am not your typical customer, and I'm probably not who you build your business model around. What surprises me, is that an artist like Morrissey would not want to spread his wings a bit, given the opportunity that a residency provides. Many here accuse him of being lazy, complacent, whatever. I've never found him lacking enthusiasm on stage, but I get your point. Hardcore want more, I wish he'd give it to us. One measly change to the set isn't enough.

I agree. And more than that: wouldn't an artist WANT to do different songs, at least a few, every night? Isn't that more fun? Isn't music supposed to be fun? When I played shows I would do vastly different setlists all the time, partly to challenge myself, and partly because my friends who kept coming to see me may be bored otherwise, and partly because it's just more of a fun accomplishment to know as many of my songs as possible and display that dexterity to an audience.

A concert is not a play or a movie. There's no reason it needs to be the same every time, not with, what's that number...40 years of material to pick from?

Bands like Ween will literally not repeat one single song when they do a a few nights in a row. The band They Might Be Giants actually googles their own setlists when they come back to a city to make sure that a large part of it is different songs (and routinely do theme shows, i.e. only material from the 80s, etc, etc.) Ben Folds did a tour where the audience requested songs via paper airplanes thrown on stage. Sparks did a residency where they played every single album in sequence over many nights. The Pixies do album-themed shows, even doing the b-sides from the album they are highlighting. I saw the stripped down Weird Al tour, his band learned over 40 songs, did different ones all the time, and a new cover every single night. You never knew what you were going to get. It's why I saw the show multiple times.

I can't understand why Morrissey can't dabble in this a little bit. I am telling you: I specifically did not buy tickets for this NYC residency because I knew the setlist would be basically identical to his last NYC show. That is a massive fan of Morrissey not giving him money because of his choice to not have more variety in a setlist. He's free to do what he wants, but it will drive people like me away. I think this forum is routinely too hard on Morrissey and too negative, but I absolutely agree that not changing the setlist at all when you return to the same city is lazy and shows no interest in making an exciting night for the fans who love you. If he was doing album or otherwise theme shows every night I would have bought tickets to every single night.

Last edited:
I agree. And more than that: wouldn't an artist WANT to do different songs, at least a few, every night? Isn't that more fun? Isn't music supposed to be fun? When I played shows I would do vastly different setlists all the time, partly to challenge myself, and partly because my friends who kept coming to see me may be bored otherwise, and partly because it's just more of a fun accomplishment to know as many of my songs as possible and display that dexterity to an audience.

A concert is not a play or a movie. There's no reason it needs to be the same every time, not with, what's that number...40 years of material to pick from?

why mess with perfection though?

why mess with perfection though?

I can't tell if this is a joke or not, but it seems obvious to me that any odd assortment of Morrissey songs would be "perfection." I think this current setlist has a lot of great stuff. But so did older setlists. And so would hypothetical setlists that any one of us fans can fantasize about. His band are trained, disciplined session musicians, the exact kind of band that should be able to learn dozens and dozens and dozens of songs to drop in at a moment's notice. That's *why* you hire session musicians. They are professional musicians. This is what they do.

Others would say that to have Julia removed from your ticketed seat is a life well-lived.
I got on stage and hugged Morrissey the same night. I got more than one should get in a lifetime in just 2 hours.

If you were after a wild night did you ever catch King Kurt live? First time i saw them they were supported by none other than Pogue Mahone, came away covered in flour, food dye, and a few other dodgy food items, and bruises everywhere.
Happy days 😊
:lbf: never

I wonder if the "Scranton, New Jersey" reference was an intentional mistake or just a mistake. If the latter, I hope someone advised him of the correct location of Scranton.
That seems a very strange remark for Morrissey to have made, considering his current drummer grew up in New Jersey. I have some distant relatives who live in New Jersey, their family having moved out of The Bronx in the last century, and I can imagine NJ being a far better place to raise kids.

I wonder if the "Scranton, New Jersey" reference was an intentional mistake or just a mistake. If the latter, I hope someone advised him of the correct location of Scranton.
I think it's intentional. In Killarney last year he said something like "Hello Cork" I think, and some folks said they have some kind of rivalry going on. I really wouldn't put much meaning into it, because the point/joke he wanted to make was pretty obvious and for that nobody must know where Scranton really is (who cares at the end despite the people of Scranton...).

The first night they would not allow people on the rail until the video montage ended and the lights went out

Night 2 they let people on the rail as soon as video started at 840 and for like the first 3 mins allowed people to filter up and then closed the aisles off

My suggestion is if you don't have front row seats leave the rail to them and then politely find a nice clear space behind them

Bands like Ween will literally not repeat one single song when they do a a few nights in a row. The band They Might Be Giants actually googles their own setlists when they come back to a city to make sure that a large part of it is different songs (and routinely do theme shows, i.e. only material from the 80s, etc, etc.) Ben Folds did a tour where the audience requested songs via paper airplanes thrown on stage. Sparks did a residency where they played every single album in sequence over many nights. The Pixies do album-themed shows, even doing the b-sides from the album they are highlighting. I saw the stripped down Weird Al tour, his band learned over 40 songs, did different ones all the time, and a new cover every single night. You never knew what you were going to get. It's why I saw the show multiple times.

I can't understand why Morrissey can't dabble in this a little bit. I am telling you: I specifically did not buy tickets for this NYC residency because I knew the setlist would be basically identical to his last NYC show. That is a massive fan of Morrissey not giving him money because of his choice to not have more variety in a setlist. He's free to do what he wants, but it will drive people like me away. I think this forum is routinely too hard on Morrissey and too negative, but I absolutely agree that not changing the setlist at all when you return to the same city is lazy and shows no interest in making an exciting night for the fans who love you. If he was doing album or otherwise theme shows every night I would have bought tickets to every single night.
Elvis Costello did his spin the wheel tour (actually called the Revolver tour) where there was a giant wheel with tons of songs on it and whichever one it landed on, he played. Audience members came up to spin the wheel too. When I saw him on this tour he played 32 songs and it went on for over 3 hours. I think he had people come up and dance in a cage too, it was really fun. (there might have even been a proposal on stage too) I was completely exhausted by the time it was over.

Field notes:

I attended Saturday and Sunday night. As others have stated, a bit more variety would have been nice between the shows, but overall the set worked well as is. Better than the three shows I saw last year (Vegas x 2, Boston) where he played 4-5 unreleased songs or slower, lesser known songs right in the middle of the set, killing a lot of the room's energy. I agree that while on paper it does look like a fairly routine list of songs, hearing so many classics back-to-back live does not suck. And I must say I was singing/humming bits of "The Night Pop Dropped" much of the next day.

Saturday I was second row center lower loge. It's been awhile since I've seen a show from that vantage point and I really enjoyed it. Lotta nice people up there, too. Chatted with several folks in the beer line, standing around, etc. I didn't find it cold up there, but I run hot. I was given one of those cool New York Moz stickers by a nice fellow.

Sunday I was 11th row orchestra, center aisle. I love "Istanbul" so that was a welcome change. Obviously being closer and on floor level changes the experience dramatically, so again the set of songs was powerful. I kept hoping they'd break into "Speedway" during the main set, thus making the pending encore a mystery, as he has occasionally done in the past. But, not to be. Speaking of "Speedway", I thought this may be the best version I've ever heard. Really well done. I believe @bored mentioned somewhere that a fan was complaining about that song being the encore. That's wild. Imagine complaining when an artist does one of their greatest songs ever as an encore.

Overall, a great time was had. While the venue was great, I do wish it could be transported to another part of the city. 25-30 minutes up and down on the A train from where I was staying was a bit of drag. I did enjoy a little place called Penny Jo's a bit south of the venue both evenings before the show. Great cocktails and bar bites, and friendly staff.

Last edited:
The first night they would not allow people on the rail until the video montage ended and the lights went out

Night 2 they let people on the rail as soon as video started at 840 and for like the first 3 mins allowed people to filter up and then closed the aisles off

My suggestion is if you don't have front row seats leave the rail to them and then politely find a nice clear space behind them
Thank you. Very informative!

Elvis Costello did his spin the wheel tour (actually called the Revolver tour) where there was a giant wheel with tons of songs on it and whichever one it landed on, he played. Audience members came up to spin the wheel too. When I saw him on this tour he played 32 songs and it went on for over 3 hours. I think he had people come up and dance in a cage too, it was really fun. (there might have even been a proposal on stage too) I was completely exhausted by the time it was over.
I would very gladly take the 1:15 version of this!!

Field notes:

I attended Saturday and Sunday night. As others have stated, a bit more variety would have been nice between the shows, but overall the set worked well as is. Better than the three shows I saw last year (Vegas x 2, Boston) where he played 4-5 unreleased songs or slower, lesser known songs right in the middle of the set, killing a lot of the room's energy. I agree that while on paper it does look like a fairly routine list of songs, hearing so many classics back-to-back live does not suck. And I must say I was singing/humming bits of "The Night Pop Dropped" much of the next day.

Saturday I was second row center lower loge. It's been awhile since I've seen a show from that vantage point and I really enjoyed it. Lotta nice people up there, too. Chatted with several folks in the beer line, standing around, etc. I didn't find it cold up there, but I run hot. I was given one of those cool New York Moz stickers by a nice fellow.

Sunday I was 11th row orchestra, center aisle. I love "Istanbul" so that was a welcome change. Obviously being closer and on floor level changes the experience dramatically, so again the set of songs was powerful. I kept hoping they'd break into "Speedway" during the main set, thus making the pending encore a mystery, as he has occasionally done in the past. But, not to be. Speaking of "Speedway", I thought this may be the best version I've ever heard. Really well done. I believe @bored mentioned somewhere that a fan was complaining about that song being the encore. That's wild. Imagine complaining when an artist does one of their greatest songs ever as an encore.

Overall, a great time was had. While the venue was great, I do wish it could be transported to another part of the city. 25-30 minutes up and down on the A train from where I was staying was a bit of drag. I did enjoy a little place called Penny Jo's a bit south of the venue both evenings before the show. Great cocktails and bar bites, and friendly staff.
Pretty much exactly how I feel. I saw 3 shows last year.. 2 in Vegas and Boston. DC and NY1 this year.

A more update setlist might have been nice but this was still a strong setlist and I was surprised at how much I liked "Pop".

As far as the unreleased songs go I was glad to get "Oblivion" and "Saint" last year but for the average concert goer these are not great songs. For me they were amazing.

It’s the self entitled again. Even though they don’t have front row seats they presume it’s ok to just charge at the rail and to hell with those behind.

Obtaining disability access when there is sweet FA wrong with you is the new right of access for some concerts attendees. Shitfield anyone 😃
It’s unfair on those who have paid extra or managed to be lucky enough to get the front row. But some aren’t able to sit/stand back and enjoy, they must be at the front. MUST.

Sadly not everyone is as respectful as you.

I know how special it is to be on the barrier. I would never take that away from someone who paid for the right and I did not.

In the shuffle on Saturday night my son got pushed back. I was on the barrier and he was behind. I asked someone behind me if she would let me switch places with him and she agreed AND helped get him up there so I could go back. I ended up moving a little to my left and had only 1 person in front of me. A very good trade.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not, but it seems obvious to me that any odd assortment of Morrissey songs would be "perfection." I think this current setlist has a lot of great stuff. But so did older setlists. And so would hypothetical setlists that any one of us fans can fantasize about.
Of course I’d love to hear some unplayed songs. But maybe in his mind the set is perfection. Years of putting songs in, taking them out, and like a sculpture with their clay, shaping it into his ideal setlist. Anyway, he’s not a human jukebox.
His band are trained, disciplined session musicians, the exact kind of band that should be able to learn dozens and dozens and dozens of songs to drop in at a moment's notice. That's *why* you hire session musicians. They are professional musicians. This is what they do.

Yes, agree, it has nothing to do with the band. So I think we can safely come to the conclusion that the setlist, in the end, is entirely up to Morrissey.

On the subject of residencies: I attended eight of the Viva Moz Vegas concerts, four from each year. Really enjoyed myself, but having been there and spent the money (twice!) it would have been better had there been some variation in the setlist.

I completely understand, especially in a place like Las Vegas, that most people are only going to see one show. What percentage of the audience are freaks like me? What percentage actually sees multiple nights? In terms of business, I am not your typical customer, and I'm probably not who you build your business model around. What surprises me, is that an artist like Morrissey would not want to spread his wings a bit, given the opportunity that a residency provides. Many here accuse him of being lazy, complacent, whatever. I've never found him lacking enthusiasm on stage, but I get your point. Hardcore want more, I wish he'd give it to us. One measly change to the set isn't enough.
I completely agree with this. While I don't like Phish AT ALL, they regularly play Madison Square Garden residencies in which they don't repeat a single song. There were seven shows in July and August of this year with no tracks repeated. I believe that they did the same thing in 2017 for THIRTEEN consecutive shows. It's great for the fans.

If people would consider, maybe it’s not so wise to compare what Morrissey does, to what other ‘artists’ do. It would certainly help with one’s well being and sanity. It’s entirely your choice.

I welcomed anything he wanted to offer, and enjoyed myself completely both last shows, and will continue to do so, tonight and tomorrow.

VIVA MOZ !!!

:tiphat:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom