NME's Top 100 tracks of the decade, IBEH at #98

Johan de Witt

NME have just published their top 100 albums an singles of the decade. No Moz album made it, but Irish Blood, English Heart made the singles-list at 98.

Morrissey’s truly great ‘comeback’ song, a stirring little nationalistic drama which comes across as impassioned rather than bombastic. It heralded the new barrel-chested, gladiatorial Morrissey, who was soon seen brandishing a tommygun on the cover of his ‘You Are the Quarry’ album. The revolutionary spirit was burning strong in him at this stage, a man angrily wishing to reclaim the heart of his nation so he can stand by the flag, “not feeling shameful, racist, or partial.” Controversy's never far behind Moz, but here his sentiments were expressed in the most strident rock'n'roll terms. MR

Full list here:
http://www.nme.com/list/tracks-of-the-decade/158050

Last edited:
a stirring little nationalistic drama

Nationalistic?

Hard to see how a song that encourages us to spit upon the name Oliver Cromwell whilst simultaneously denouncing the monarchy can be described in such simple terms.

A great song. A complex song. An idiosyncratically-Morrissey song.

98? Simply not good enough.

BEYONCE?!

Jesus christ, they just prove to me every time how shit they are...

BEYONCE?!

Jesus christ, they just prove to me every time how shit they are...

Let's not get upset here - any list that includes Animal Collective, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Kings Of Leon, The F*ck B*ttons, Glasvegas, Cribs, TV On The Radio, MGMT, Fleet Foxes, Elbow, Kasabian, Killers et al can't be THAT bad can it??

Beyonce Crazy In Love is one of the best singles ever. Of all time. And I'm not taking the piss either.
Some people need to remember the fact pop music at its best is a collective experience. Regardless

In fairness the Top 30 is good!!

Anything that has The Rat in the Top 15 should not be discounted

and number 32.

Is the Yeah Yeah Yeahs back catalogue really better than Toxic by Britney? Girls Aloud, Missy Elliot, Battles or the Gossips "one" song?

Or Art Brut?

Categorically NO

No Portishead???

Kylie's Can't Get You Out Of My Head not in the Top 10?

no Goldfrapp.

Lloyd Are You Ready To Be Heartbroken?

I'm shocked IBEH ever came into their heads. Hurrah for the NME:lbf:

And Here Comes The City- The Go-Betweens. Arguably a better comeback record than HRHMoz. RIP Grant

Beyonce Crazy In Love is one of the best singles ever. Of all time. And I'm not taking the piss either.

Beyonce's single stole the riff of this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQXekcNg8ZU
and made millions of dollars. The success of Beyonce's song owes EVERYTHING to that riff. One of the best singles ever? Shea, right. Best theft maybe. Recognize the REAL talent. Naming that the best song of the decade is a tribute to sampling, mediocrity and non-original material.

Let's not get upset here - any list that includes Animal Collective, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Kings Of Leon, The F*ck B*ttons, Glasvegas, Cribs, TV On The Radio, MGMT, Fleet Foxes, Elbow, Kasabian, Killers et al can't be THAT bad can it??

Lol there I was reading your post reeling off these names of bands I can't stand getting ready for the final blow reaffirming the list as garbage and the nme likewise but you were going for the opposite...oops!

Beyonce's single stole the riff of this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQXekcNg8ZU
and made millions of dollars. The success of Beyonce's song owes EVERYTHING to that riff. One of the best singles ever? Shea, right. Best theft maybe. Recognize the REAL talent. Naming that the best song of the decade is a tribute to sampling, mediocrity and non-original material.

Is it 1989 round here as thats how relevant your argument sounds.
The original doesn't generate the same response in people regrdelss of age, background and ethnicity.

Theres so much more to the intelligence and sophisitication of the Beyonce record than "riff-nicking." Its POP music at its best. So I completely agree with the NME, which is worrying

Nationalistic?

Hard to see how a song that encourages us to spit upon the name Oliver Cromwell whilst simultaneously denouncing the monarchy can be described in such simple terms.

Exactly, have NME actually listened to the lyrics of of IBEH?
And number 98? What the heck?

Back
Top Bottom