Noel Gallagher on "The Queen Is Dead"

It's not about the band though, because he said so himself. He is in the process of creating a new genre of music it's called 'HYP-HOC" and it's so cheesy

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Oh Benny, one favor...please stop making me chuckle. You are nothing else if not pure wit.

This is the first time I have ever heard a Morrissey/Smiths fan say they never really wanted to hear songs about loneliness. I hope you saved your receipts.

I don't disagree that he should expand his subject matter - any artist should stretch - but some of us feel that his "worldliness" is delivered in a clumsy manner. Just name-checking oppressed nations or throwing flamenco guitar on top of some of the usual chord progressions seems self-conscious and, at times, contrived.

Jamie, you have captured my thoughts exactly, and your humor is not lost on me. I thought it almost impossible that I might find a like minded person here. Thank you for proving me wrong.

Jamie, you have captured my thoughts exactly, and your humor is not lost on me. I thought it almost impossible that I might find a like minded person here. Thank you for proving me wrong.

i think a lot of the smiths songs were about loneliness and i appreciate the craftsmanship of those songs, there well made but i always like the songs, i know ive said this before, where moz is on attack even in the smiths. songs like hand in glove where he attacking the people who force him to feel lonely is great. songs like frankly mr shankly which are on attack in a humorous way or even songs like what difference does it make where he says people in general are to wrapped up in there own personal perspective. yes many of the songs have subtle hidden parallel meanings, which is also great craftsmanship, but in general this is what i like about morrissey. i like songs where moz is challenging people and not in introspective morose mode. songs about not hiding and not being ashamed. i think he found himself and happiness to a reasonable degree a long long time ago. i still think he has something to say and say it in expert manner.

i also dont think many people who claim to be about the smiths or align themselves with the smiths songs and there sentiment embody much of what the smiths seem to be about themselves. i dont see empathy or sympathy, i dont see a lot of kindness or attempts to understand others, i dont see patience etc. i mostly see angry prickly people who want to try and shame others who dont agree with them. they mostly seem immature, self centered and so insecure that they take enjoyment in attacking anybody who doesnt agree with them while trying to prove there wit to anyone around them. disagreeing is fine but imo most out and out smiths seem very defensive and ready to throw any ethical value i see in the smiths and there lyrics out the window as soon as it come to any matter they deem an attack on there pride (which seems to be any questioning). this makes them harder to take seriously

i think a lot of the smiths songs were about loneliness and i appreciate the craftsmanship of those songs, there well made but i always like the songs, i know ive said this before, where moz is on attack even in the smiths. songs like hand in glove where he attacking the people who force him to feel lonely is great. songs like frankly mr shankly which are on attack in a humorous way or even songs like what difference does it make where he says people in general are to wrapped up in there own personal perspective. yes many of the songs have subtle hidden parallel meanings, which is also great craftsmanship, but in general this is what i like about morrissey. i like songs where moz is challenging people and not in introspective morose mode. songs about not hiding and not being ashamed. i think he found himself and happiness to a reasonable degree a long long time ago. i still think he has something to say and say it in expert manner.

i also dont think many people who claim to be about the smiths or align themselves with the smiths songs and there sentiment embody much of what the smiths seem to be about themselves. i dont see empathy or sympathy, i dont see a lot of kindness or attempts to understand others, i dont see patience etc. i mostly see angry prickly people who want to try and shame others who dont agree with them. they mostly seem immature, self centered and so insecure that they take enjoyment in attacking anybody who doesnt agree with them while trying to prove there wit to anyone around them. disagreeing is fine but imo most out and out smiths seem very defensive and ready to throw any ethical value i see in the smiths and there lyrics out the window as soon as it come to any matter they deem an attack on there pride (which seems to be any questioning). this makes them harder to take seriously

Morrissey has been ploughing essentially the same furrow for the thick end of thirty-five years, and he's very good at it. The chances of him coming up with something better than things that have gone before is increasingly unlikely.

The last time he came up with something approaching the perfection of the 80s and early 90s was, in my opinion, First Of The Gang To Die, a centre piece of an extremely fine album. It is about the only song in his entire canon that could not have been written in a grim Mancunian bedsit, and as such is artistically one of the few things for which we should be grateful for Morrissey's move to LA.

He has not exceeded How Soon Is Now? or This Charnimg Man, or Meat Is Murder, and I would suggest if he was going to he would have already done so. That isn't to say he hasn't released many brilliant songs since. Bowie hasn't really exceeded his 70s peak. It isn't a crime. It's just the nature of artistic creation. The wealthier and more famous you become the further from your muse you get. I can't think of a successful pop star who hasn't struggled in that way.

There will be people who heard World Peace and Morrissey for the very first time today and have had their lives changed. I'm pleased for them. There will also be people who heard Taylor Swift for the first time today and had a similar reaction. Morrissey has a body of work since the 80s that will continue to eclipse his current work, partly because his work with Marr was pristine, and partly because his work with Tobias and others is pedestrian by comparison. Again, not a crime, but ridiculous to claim it hasn't happened.

Morrissey has been ploughing essentially the same furrow for the thick end of thirty-five years, and he's very good at it. The chances of him coming up with something better than things that have gone before is increasingly unlikely.

The last time he came up with something approaching the perfection of the 80s and early 90s was, in my opinion, First Of The Gang To Die, a centre piece of an extremely fine album. It is about the only song in his entire canon that could not have been written in a grim Mancunian bedsit, and as such is artistically one of the few things for which we should be grateful for Morrissey's move to LA.

He has not exceeded How Soon Is Now? or This Charnimg Man, or Meat Is Murder, and I would suggest if he was going to he would have already done so. That isn't to say he hasn't released many brilliant songs since. Bowie hasn't really exceeded his 70s peak. It isn't a crime. It's just the nature of artistic creation. The wealthier and more famous you become the further from your muse you get. I can't think of a successful pop star who hasn't struggled in that way.

There will be people who heard World Peace and Morrissey for the very first time today and have had their lives changed. I'm pleased for them. There will also be people who heard Taylor Swift for the first time today and had a similar reaction. Morrissey has a body of work since the 80s that will continue to eclipse his current work, partly because his work with Marr was pristine, and partly because his work with Tobias and others is pedestrian by comparison. Again, not a crime, but ridiculous to claim it hasn't happened.

i dont think so. to use georges line i dont think any smiths song moves me the way some of his solo songs do though im moved to some degree by much of his whole body of work. he for sure had many clever lyrics in the smiths but to me that doesnt mean as much as a line that says something about my own life and most of the smiths songs dont. maybe 50/50. i always felt that moz was angry and not sad at being lonely. i think he blamed his loneliness on society at large for just not allowing him to be himself. i.e happy, and so i dont think he wallowed so much as he lamented his lonley social position which gave him cause to act. i would never pick any of those songs to share as a smiths song to others except for hand in glove as i love the stance in that song. "depends on how near you stand to me". to me he sounds angry there and not a sad wollower like people want to write and believe. what i ask for from a song has also just changed from when i was a young man. being clever used to mean much more to me then than it does now. i also dont feel the need to impress other the way i did then with clever smiths lyrics. a lot of smiths songs are greta and i love them but its not my end all be all as i think in many ways he fot better.for example, i love glamorous glue to death and listen to it way more than some smiths album. especially the first though good gods what a great lyrics suffer and this charming man are.

Lyricially, You are the Quarry is Morrissey's nadir. The World is Full of Crashing Bores epitomises how unpleasant and bitter he had become by this point.

You must be wondering how
The boy next door turned out
Have a care, but don't stare
Because he's still there
Lamenting policewomen, policemen
Silly women, taxmen, uniformed whores
They who wish to hurt you
Work within the law

To make matters worse, they're absolute crap too. The tune is garbage too, which goes for most of the album. I don't understand why people waste their energy slating WP when this is the real turkey.

Lyricially, You are the Quarry is Morrissey's nadir. The World is Full of Crashing Bores epitomises how unpleasant and bitter he had become by this point.

Because he's still there
Work within the law

To make matters worse, they're absolute crap too. The tune is garbage too, which goes for most of the album. I don't understand why people waste their energy slating WP when this is the real turkey.

why do think this?

I feel similar to JB on this except I like the new album. I think The Smiths bought the magic out of Morrissey the best, like Mick Ronson did with Bowie, like The Revolution did with Prince, etc. That said, there's no absolute, it's all subjective and if a record means something to you then that's enough.

That said, I genuinely don't think he's made a bad album, sure I enjoy some more than others but there isn't one I can't listen to.

why do think this?

Firstly the lyrics are just bad, maybe that's more noticeable to a native speaker.

Secondly the subject matter is pathetic. Morrissey feels aggrieved that he got detained and questioned at an airport. He hates being taxed (where would we be without public services?). He has an irrational hatred of the police (imagine life without the police). And women.

The album is full of such crap. And if you like the tune especially the bit where he sings about the taxmen, etc, I seriously question your musical taste.

Last edited:

Because he's still there
Work within the law

I loved Quarry I did just look at who wrote the majority of tunes on it including the deluxe edition, step forward Sir Alain Whyte.

I have fore taken cheeses
Come back to Camembert
You know I couldn't cheese fast

It wouldn't surprise me if Steven eats fish fingers and crab sticks, a shall get in touch with Quim the head vegetarian chef at the Portugal Pestana and ask him.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Good evening, Long time since i logged in .... BUT i have a reason,,,,,

I can not STAND Noel Gallagher - Liam was the talent of Oasis forever & ever Amen.

Last edited:
I feel similar to JB on this except I like the new album. I think The Smiths bought the magic out of Morrissey the best, like Mick Ronson did with Bowie, like The Revolution did with Prince, etc. That said, there's no absolute, it's all subjective and if a record means something to you then that's enough.

That said, I genuinely don't think he's made a bad album, sure I enjoy some more than others but there isn't one I can't listen to.

This I agree with wholeheartedly. They all have something, most of them are brilliant and most of them move me and feel indispensable to me and my life.

And as much as I love The Smiths (probably the best and most consistent band of all time), I listen much more to solo-Moz nowadays. The solo stuff is a bit more versatile, musically, I think. A bit more varied. And the lyrics are often times a bit more mature, which of course is as it should.
The solo stuff is not as consistenly good, but let's face it - The Smiths made four studio albums (plus some compilations), solo Moz has made more than twice as much music.

Because he's still there
Work within the law

O so agreed, I've never found the love love for Quarry that others have. It may actually be my least favourite solo album. I like how Barleycorn has criticized the clumsiness of some World Peace lyrics while praising to the Gods 'First of the Gang' which comprises the clunker,

'And he stole from the rich and the poor, and the not very rich and the very poor.'

The couplet is so poor I cannot listen to the song, it's embarrassing.

However rather than say that JB has no taste, is some of acolyte etc I simply accept that our tastes are different and he loves that record and that song in particular. Different stokes for different folks, but yeah for me Quarry is almost beyond listenable.

Because he's still there
Work within the law

As bad as those lyrics are, it gets even worse in the summing up, when the whole thrust of his diatribe against crashing bores is simply 'I am not one'. Sheesh. What poetical genius.

O so agreed, I've never found the love love for Quarry that others have. It may actually be my least favourite solo album. I like how Barleycorn has criticized the clumsiness of some World Peace lyrics while praising to the Gods 'First of the Gang' which comprises the clunker,

'And he stole from the rich and the poor, and the not very rich and the very poor.'

The couplet is so poor I cannot listen to the song, it's embarrassing.

However rather than say that JB has no taste, is some of acolyte etc I simply accept that our tastes are different and he loves that record and that song in particular. Different stokes for different folks, but yeah for me Quarry is almost beyond listenable.

well sid did answer for someone else which is weird. also doesnt really say why the lyrics are bad expect for trying to say something about the subject matter of world peace by pulling a few lines about one incident which is symbolic for a lot of peoples with public authority (i mean dozens of police protests here are not just about the specific incidents mentioned in the news. i participated in many and everyone had a story to tell about there interactions with cops, all negsative. i ahd many of my own) and takes an abbreviated line about taxes and tries to make it an absolute statement on the matter instead of the question the actual line is phrased in. i mean for a person concerned with lyrical quality the difference between a question and a statement should be one i dont have to point out. thats not a very good explanation or reason, just more statements declaring your dislike.

Art-hounds look like nothing

So Art-hounds write something
And those that do are judged by those
Who tried and found they couldn't do

Art-hounds look like nothing

So Art-hounds write something
And those that do are judged by those
Who tried and found they couldn't do

Yes, you are right. I apologise. All Morrissey's lyrics, past present and future, are wonderful, and beyond criticism.
Maybe a moderator could lock this thread, as we have nothing to discuss now, or indeed, ever? ;)

well sid did answer for someone else which is weird. also doesnt really say why the lyrics are bad expect for trying to say something about the subject matter of world peace by pulling a few lines about one incident which is symbolic for a lot of peoples with public authority (i mean dozens of police protests here are not just about the specific incidents mentioned in the news. i participated in many and everyone had a story to tell about there interactions with cops, all negsative. i ahd many of my own) and takes an abbreviated line about taxes and tries to make it an absolute statement on the matter instead of the question the actual line is phrased in. i mean for a person concerned with lyrical quality the difference between a question and a statement should be one i dont have to point out. thats not a very good explanation or reason, just more statements declaring your dislike.

I'm sure even more people could tell you how the police have helped them, and as I said imagine the anarchy without the police. If you know better, maybe you can explain why he is complaining about taxmen? Or women?

You don't know why the lyrics are bad? I only had to hear them to tell. They're just horribly written. It's like if someone is wearing a horrific jumper, it just stands out.

This I agree with wholeheartedly. They all have something, most of them are brilliant and most of them move me and feel indispensable to me and my life.

And as much as I love The Smiths (probably the best and most consistent band of all time), I listen much more to solo-Moz nowadays. The solo stuff is a bit more versatile, musically, I think. A bit more varied. And the lyrics are often times a bit more mature, which of course is as it should.
The solo stuff is not as consistenly good, but let's face it - The Smiths made four studio albums (plus some compilations), solo Moz has made more than twice as much music.

agree the smiths are very consistent but i get tired of all the english folk based jangle they did so so well. maybe i just listened to much as a result strangeways grew on like no ones business at a certain point in my life as did moz solo. for me the smiths aspect that i took away and i guess had a changing effect on me was seeing someone be so brave and taking that strength and sometimes style when i was much younger and trying it out in my own life. moz made me brave enough to self actualize into something better than i was before. before i felt trapped in my life and its limited options

Back
Top Bottom