"Playboys" and "Kill Uncle" remastered both fail to make Top 100 UK charts

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
Re: Playboys and Kill Uncle remastered both fail to make top 100 UK charts

I'm sure the guests would have failed to see the humour in playing "I Know It's Over" or "Never Had No One, Ever" or "Unlovable" or "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday" at the reception!! They would have seen it as a bad omen and probably called the reverend back to perform an exorcism!

We had 'Perfect Day', Lou Reed version. As both a celebration and a portent, as we'd had a 'volatile' courtship in the preceeding eleven years. It was full-on Catholic, not Marylebone Registry, as it was always going to be 'always and forever'. "you're going to reap just what you sow" couldn't be more appropriate advice to newly weds. Marriage is hard work. Ours has, supposedly, collapsed. But I ain't had no divorce papers! And you can't divorce a Catholic from marriage, only seek an annulment which only Berti Ahern has had lately as a public example.

I screwed up, but I haven't given up and never will. "I Know It's Over" is actually a wonderful song to play because it is such a warning of the danger of narcissism after teenage years. The other choices you list are just very poor facsimiles of "It Should've Been Me!" which Johnny Marr had on loop on a mix-cassette and Morrissey just nicked it and rehashed it like everything else. Here's Yvonne Fair with quite simply the funniest wedding day song ever, and an immortal vocal performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q64jDvTnm8

Mind you, it was a bit embarassing when I had to get the bouncers to throw 'the ghost of infatuation-past' out of the church. That didn't stop him, ended up the the Police arresting him at the reception as he tried to smash up the 3 tier cake. And I'm like "I've never met him!" to my Irish uncles from Dublin and Manchester, with their raised eyebrows and facepalms going into overdrive, whilst the missus has the stiletto in her hand saying "he's dead in 2 minutes if you don't get rid of him". I'd hoped "I Know It's Over" had helped him move on and accept I wanted to be a biological Dad with the woman I love, no turkey baster nonsence. But he just couldn't accept it, still hasn't as far as I can tell as he keeps sending me those 'cryptic messages'...and then there was the whole "Someone Like You" stalking from the person dressed as a 'priest' a few decades later. In fact, the whole 'signed copy' of '21' on the car windscreen was the last straw before I got the restraining order. He'll read this, hope he finally accepts my choices in life.

Shame Morrissey couldn't rise to those writing heights of Yvonne and Adele, might have helped him accept the roll of the dice, Fortuna's Wheel, fate, and move on...but like many an ex-bromance/[un]requited lover... he's still bitter and twisted over 'someone' or 'something' it would seem. A person? Or the institution of monogamous marriage? He's so 'mysterious' that we'll never know, will we... *sigh*

Actually, "I Know It's Over" is the one time Morrissey made me stop and reflect on the possible ruthless cruelty of the decisions I'd made. I can't wait to release my reply, which is as good as, if not better: an absolute defence of marriage and children against hedonism and anhedonia-the Scylla and Charybdis of the last century which have blighted so many lives and so much of popular culture. But then, I'm actually a conservative Catholic Opus Dei fundamentalist pretending to be a radical art terrorist, only to destroy Sin from the inside out, etc....

Moz, please; don't stalk us in Rome, don't dress as a priest for no reason. Cardinal Assange and Monsignore Manning are about to lift the fatwa over your recording prosects, so don't blow it, etc. I had to issue a final warning to Sinead, consider this yours...

And let Posterity record: nothing that now happens could have happened without the love and support of my wife. And children. "you're going to reap just what you sow". I hope so. And I hope I leave a 'guide for the perplexed' not a vain 30 year fixation with the mirror.

"Everyday Is Like Christmas Day" is now the first 45rpm. Jimmy Stewart in "It's A Wonderful Life" is the cover star.

You were 'politely asked' to retire by 20:12, 20/12, 20/12. You've had your chance to do it on our behalf, whilst we surrendered to Love and Marriage. You've failed, so now we'll take all those gifted 'salon society' memes back and do it properly, "Bull-Ring Style"...

Train heave on to New Street and a Patti Smith concert at Birmingham Odeon...and the palare at Manchester Picadilly was where the action always was..shame you blew it with "Dad" line, but never mind. Almost!..LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

regards
"BrummieBoy" - 'inches away from a monastery'...*wink*

Last edited:

"Struggles to chart as high?" - we're not talking about missing the top 10 here. It missed the top f***ing 100!
To get high in the charts, all he needs is brilliant songs. And all he hasn't got is brilliant songs. He's ditched the one person (Alain Whyte) who was actually capable of brilliance. By his own admission, all he's got to offer now, musically, is songs which are 'not awful'.
You couldn't make it up.

Don't over-react, children: the remaster of Bowie's Aladdin Sane also failed to make the Top 100. Nobody expects remasters to chart - when they do, it's the exception rather than the rule. But let's conveniently avoid that inconvenient truth and keep slagging off Morrissey, shall we? Business as usual for So Low...

Oh, and "ditched" Alain...? Not sure that's the truth either.

Re: Article: "Playboys" and "Kill Uncle" remastered both fail to make Top 100 UK char

Each sale of a Morrissey record/CD should have to be matched by 10,000 Bieber sales, because Morrissey is 'REAL ART!' but that guy with monkey suggesting Anne Frank might just have wanted to be a teenager with a crush on a pop star rather than a victim of Nazi religious genocide? Who the HELL! does he think he is. Hey! Justin, leave the heavyweight thinking to Morrissey and Joey Barton. And, anyway, it's obvious that Anne Frank would have been a broody emo dweeb locked in that hidy-hole listeting to Kill Uncle-Remixed.

Ah, Morrissey and Bieber.

One makes crass and ignorant statements about subjects he does not fully grasp

... and so does the other one.

Re: Article: "Playboys" and "Kill Uncle" remastered both fail to make Top 100 UK char

Morrissey and Marr have always been attracted to rock mythology, and I think Morrissey quite enjoys playing up to the image of the faded rock star in his twilight years, his 'Little Man, What Now?'/Fat Elvis in Las Vegas period. He knows that he has an enduring legacy in the Smiths, and a solo career peppered with critical and commercial high points, and I think it's part of his character that he just enjoys playing out the role of the diva fallen on hard times, a man out of time, on a never-ending troubadour tour in defiance of modern corporate blandness.

Let's face it, if he needed the cash, he'd be signing a record deal and if he needed a lot of cash, he'd be getting The Smiths back together, and principles be damned. He's just not bothered. And why should he be? He's got nothing to prove.

Have any of us bought these re-issues? I own Playboys three times on different formats, I'll be f***ed if I'm buying it again. I have one copy of KU and that's enough.

Make and release something new and I'll buy it but I'm not going to keep buying the same record just because it's got a different cover and some b-sides added to it. f*** that.

who cares if it didnt make the charts,im glad it didnt as the charts is full of complete utter shite,and im sure moz is not at all bothered,as he knows he is better than all the rest.

who cares if it didnt make the charts,im glad it didnt as the charts is full of complete utter shite,and im sure moz is not at all bothered,as he knows he is better than all the rest.

Morrissey is obsessed with chart success, always has been.

he should have made a b side of 'ding dong the witch is dead' on last of the famous international playboys to help the charts

He'd still make the top ten with a new album or single. People just don't want material from him which is the thick end of a quarter of a century old, and which isn't even a faithful curating of the original. If he'd have gone for a closer representation of the original, with a second comprehensive disc of B sides and stuff from the same era it would have made a far more attractive package. Instead he is essentially saying to us, "This was a dog the first time around, let's have another go."

He isn't giving people what they want. What is interesting is where are all the acolytes who turn up to see him live? Not in the queue for Kill Uncle apparently. The Southpaw Grammar rejig peaked at sixty-five in the UK. It would be reasonable to expect something vaguely similar from KU.

The chart is not always entirely awful. Good stuff sneaks in, and not always from gonks and chancers.

Bowie made the top of the chart quite easily, Nick Cave's new album went in at number three, even Low's latest peaked at number forty-four and Daft Punk have new stuff out shortly which will knock Taylor Swift et al sideways.

The packaging is so poor that only die-hard completists like me bother buying this release.

Ohh, you're one of those people...

What? An unrepentant heterosexual with a sense of fun and humor?
I'll never fit in, I'm afraid. At least not here...

Agreed. It's so creepy with those lines about the lipstick on the brain and blowing his mind. Yuck.

No I mean the song just sucks.

Don't over-react, children: the remaster of Bowie's Aladdin Sane also failed to make the Top 100. Nobody expects remasters to chart - when they do, it's the exception rather than the rule. But let's conveniently avoid that inconvenient truth and keep slagging off Morrissey, shall we? Business as usual for So Low...

Oh, and "ditched" Alain...? Not sure that's the truth either.

To be fair Aladdin Sane is forty yesrs old, was on its fourth CD reissue, let alone the number of vinyl reissues it must have seen, and had no extras whatever, or even a vinyl release this time around.

It was just a CD with the original tracklisting plus an iTunes download.

Last edited:

Yeah, I bought it all, single and lp, as a completist, but the artwork really is shite. I love the original artwork; the GF vinyl and poster cd inlay with the lyrics are really nice. The reissue looks like it was put together in 5 mins using photoshop - with a blindfold on. And the lettering on the single cover is a *really bad* cut and paste job. Oh well, I'll never learn.

Why the apparent surprise? How long can you hope to prolong a career re-releasing old material that wasn't even well received when it was released over 20 years ago? A better idea would be to release an album of rare/unreleased material for the die-hard fans that deserve something new. How many other artists have managed to get away with this constant reissuing of old material?

Morrissey and Marr have always been attracted to rock mythology, and I think Morrissey quite enjoys playing up to the image of the faded rock star in his twilight years, his 'Little Man, What Now?'/Fat Elvis in Las Vegas period. He knows that he has an enduring legacy in the Smiths, and a solo career peppered with critical and commercial high points, and I think it's part of his character that he just enjoys playing out the role of the diva fallen on hard times, a man out of time, on a never-ending troubadour tour in defiance of modern corporate blandness.

Let's face it, if he needed the cash, he'd be signing a record deal and if he needed a lot of cash, he'd be getting The Smiths back together, and principles be damned. He's just not bothered. And why should he be? He's got nothing to prove.

Agreed. Well said. I just Wish Morrissey would self release a new album. He does, after all, relish being an industry outsider. He has been very successful with the diy touring(aside from sicknesses and cancellations, of course).

No, it was an ill-judged release from a person whose chart career is going down the pan. All facts. In fact, since we could do with facts, what are the sales figures and positions (UK) for these releases, compared with sales figures and positions (UK) for his previous albums and singles releases? What does the trajectory look like?

P.

Since when were the charts a measure of how good you are? Mediocrity rules, anyone who knows anything about music knows that. A demographic that obviously excludes you.

Sounds a bit like 'Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?'

I thought he was on perma-tour for the money. Perhaps he does it all purely for the love of it, or perhaps for Bath Olivers, which the BBC once paid to John Lennon for an appearance on the Old Grey Whistle Test.

Nah, it's the money.

Yes, Train's song about the soul sister who moves unfairly to Mister Mister on the radio sucks.

No I mean the song just sucks.

Back
Top Bottom