R.E.M. Manchester 2008

Arrived in Manchester about 3.10pm and hopped on the tram to Old Trafford. Arrived and saw the que so had something to eat first.

Ok, so I got in about 4:10 pm and me and my brother had to wait an eternity before Guillemots came on. They were ok but they didn't seem to work well as an outdoor band. However, I have seen much worse. Then, having tried our patience queing for the Carling (at 3.30 a pint!!) we decided to stay sobre and keep on the coke (still 2.00!!) Editors were pretty good although I didn't realise I had heard so little of them, I knew only 1 song! Had to move due to complete drunken twats near us barging everyone about and ruining a perfectly nice atmosphere.

Then, after waiting over 4 hours since getting in REM hit the stage with a great performance of 'Living Well's The Best Revenge'. The set was better than I had anticipated but as I am always needing more I could have done with (Leaving New York, Everybody Hurts, Nightswimming). Stipe and the band seemed in a great mood and so did the crowd.

I was also really impressed by the visual display on the screens at the side of the stage. I watched them most of the time.

Highlight of the night was either Let Me In which was done as an acoustic. Or, I loved Man On The Moon, a perfect songf to finish on.

Low point was some pricks in front of me who decided that if they didn't know the song they would talk all the way through...I moved in the end. Why pay 45 quid if you don't listen to the band?

All was well and good until I saw the que for the tram back into Manchester so me and my brother walked back up to the G-Mex instead where we got a lift home! Came home, had a couple of Stella's and went to bed about half 2!

Love PTxx.

Arrived in Manchester about 3.10pm and hopped on the tram to Old Trafford. Arrived and saw the que so had something to eat first.

Ok, so I got in about 4:10 pm and me and my brother had to wait an eternity before Guillemots came on. They were ok but they didn't seem to work well as an outdoor band. However, I have seen much worse. Then, having tried our patience queing for the Carling (at 3.30 a pint!!) we decided to stay sobre and keep on the coke (still 2.00!!) Editors were pretty good although I didn't realise I had heard so little of them, I knew only 1 song! Had to move due to complete drunken twats near us barging everyone about and ruining a perfectly nice atmosphere.

Then, after waiting over 4 hours since getting in REM hit the stage with a great performance of 'Living Well's The Best Revenge'. The set was better than I had anticipated but as I am always needing more I could have done with (Leaving New York, Everybody Hurts, Nightswimming). Stipe and the band seemed in a great mood and so did the crowd.

I was also really impressed by the visual display on the screens at the side of the stage. I watched them most of the time.

Highlight of the night was either Let Me In which was done as an acoustic. Or, I loved Man On The Moon, a perfect songf to finish on.

Low point was some pricks in front of me who decided that if they didn't know the song they would talk all the way through...I moved in the end. Why pay 45 quid if you don't listen to the band?

All was well and good until I saw the que for the tram back into Manchester so me and my brother walked back up to the G-Mex instead where we got a lift home! Came home, had a couple of Stella's and went to bed about half 2!

Love PTxx.

Nice one PT
On the tram front, returning home, you should have done what I do everytime. Get the tram going the other way, to Altrincham (it's never full) and get off at the next stop, Stretford (includes going under the Iron Bridge, by the way!!) and cross back over and get on a near empty tram heading back to town - and smile to yourself as everyone piles in crammed packed at the cricket ground:D:cool:

Jukebox Jury

Nice one PT
On the tram front, returning home, you should have done what I do everytime. Get the tram going the other way, to Altrincham (it's never full) and get off at the next stop, Stretford (includes going under the Iron Bridge, by the way!!) and cross back over and get on a near empty tram heading back to town - and smile to yourself as everyone piles in crammed packed at the cricket ground:D:cool:

Jukebox Jury

Oh man, if only we had known. We set out confident that if we just followed the Hilton we would get back in no time. It took a hell of a lot longer than we thought it would and the Hilton just seemed to get no closer. Managed to get back in about 25 minutes though so it wasn't too bad.

Love PTxx.

I went to this yesterday and it was amazing! I also was there in 2003 and 2005. I felt like I shared a moment with Stipey when he mentioned it was the 5th anniversary. The gig in 2003 was awesome as I got to the barrier at the front... The 2005 gig was also brilliant but was tainted by alot of drunken chavs. I was glad that this year they did put the prices up so the crowd was full of proper R.E.M. fans instead of chavs useing it as a cheap excuse to have an extended weekend. Also, it helped that it coincided with Creamfields ^.^

Stipey and Morrissey both prove that you can still be cool when you get older :D

I was there in 2005 and they were alot of knobs, good show though. x

I went to this yesterday and it was amazing! I also was there in 2003 and 2005. I felt like I shared a moment with Stipey when he mentioned it was the 5th anniversary. The gig in 2003 was awesome as I got to the barrier at the front... The 2005 gig was also brilliant but was tainted by alot of drunken chavs. I was glad that this year they did put the prices up so the crowd was full of proper R.E.M. fans instead of chavs useing it as a cheap excuse to have an extended weekend. Also, it helped that it coincided with Creamfields ^.^

Stipey and Morrissey both prove that you can still be cool when you get older :D

I was never that fussed for them playing 'Everybody Hurts' to be honest, in fact i always cringed a bit especially when people got out their lighters.
Great band though and Stipe is cool as f*ck.

I was there too in 03 and 05, preferred the Move festival gig as they only used half of the pitch, not that the other two gigs were not good.
Can't say I really noticed the chavs three years ago though. (nor am I suggesting you are not telling the truth!)

Laughed last night when Stipe said '....here in Manchester, where ever this cricket stadium is'!

Jukebox Jury

An excellent gig, I must say. Somewhat disappointed with the organisation of the place though. Those queues just didn't go down at all. I think having the toilets, bar and food all in the same place was a bit shoddy. Too many (sometimes angry) people in one place. A bar on the other side would've alleviated it a bit.

On a side note, it was somewhat bemusing to find so many women wandering through the gents toilets!

I was there too in 03 and 05, preferred the Move festival gig as they only used half of the pitch, not that the other two gigs were not good.
Can't say I really noticed the chavs three years ago though. (nor am I suggesting you are not telling the truth!)

Laughed last night when Stipe said '....here in Manchester, where ever this cricket stadium is'!

Jukebox Jury

same here. bring the move festival back i say. loved those gigs!!! :horny:

When was this? I knew it was coming up but I didn't realise it had happened already. I can usually hear gigs at the cricket ground from my house (we had fun with Radiohead back in June) & I especially wanted to hear Guillemots.

For future reference by the way: the best way to get back from the ground after gigs is to walk up Talbot Road & catch a bus from White City.

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

:eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom