R.I.P. Sinead O'Connor

Sinead O'Connor has died at the age of 56. Rest in peace.

FGHW8PNXoAIdJGj.jpg

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...oconnor-acclaimed-dublin-singer-dies-aged-56/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41192068.html

https://nypost.com/2023/07/26/sinead-oconnor-dead-at-56/
Hot Press too - https://www.hotpress.com/culture/sinead-oconnor-has-died-22981798
Dave Fanning was crying speaking earlier on the radio.
Where was the photo with Morrissey taken, do you know, Acton? Many good memories, at least.
R.I.P. brave Sinéad.

Hot Press too - https://www.hotpress.com/culture/sinead-oconnor-has-died-22981798
Dave Fanning was crying speaking earlier on the radio.
Where was the photo with Morrissey taken, do you know, Acton? Many good memories, at least.
R.I.P. brave Sinéad.
1991 photo by Linder. Sinéad's garden i think but I can't remember for sure. Looks like the tray is near Sinead so it seems she poured and therefore was the hostess? Not sure.

In her Rememberings book she wrote about Andy and Mike:

There Is a Light and It Never Goes Out, 1987

I AM ON TOUR in freezing England, supporting INXS. Right after I had agreed to tour with them, David Bowie asked me to support his band. It was a disappointment that I couldn’t accept but it’s brilliant that he asked me nonetheless. Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke, from the Smiths, are in my band. Andy is the funniest person I’ve ever met in my life. I love him.
Andy and his brothers would be on acid when the parish priest came round for tea with them and their father. The boys had to try to act normal round the table and not be crying-laughing. That’s one reason I love Andy—he cry-laughs. Crying-laughing is the greatest feeling ever and the funniest thing to watch. Him and Mike are really funny together. They make each other roll around on the floor. I love Mike too. They’ve made me love Manchester people. Dead straight. No bullshit. No un-frank conversation. Also, they treat me like a boy, which makes me a happy girl."

Quote above provided by FWD in 2021 on Moz Solo.

Last edited:
Bought on CD in '87: The Lion And The Cobra has never been off my iPod since digitising it.
I bought the initial Troy despite it not doing as well as the following Mandinka single and was hooked. Then following her well after the 'jobbing Smiths' were out of the picture.
Incredibly sad.
FWD.

I know "Nothing Compares 2 U" has its own tremendous gravity that exerts a huge drag on her other work but I'm surprised "Mandinka" does not get more love. It's got great hooks and, for many of us Yanks, it raised the curtain on that amazing voice. The Lion And The Cobra was and is still incandescent.
I live in Ireland as you know and that is what I am hearing. Her son Shane died from suicide in Jan 2022 and Sinead tweeted afterwards that life was not worth living anymore. Very shortly afterwards she was hospitalised. Sinead endured more heartbreak in her life than most. Four marriages, mental health issues including bi-polar disorder and severe depression, and then the death of Shane. Sinead leaves behind a daughter and two sons. I think it's safe to say that most Irish people are in shock right now.

Even before her son died I had suspected that she would leave this life too soon - so much abuse and hardship to overcome. I was sure she was going to be found dead when she went missing in Chicago back in 2016. Oddly, there's actually another glancing Morrissey tie in that story - she had been living with Matt Walker and his family for roughly two months leading up to the mental health crisis that resulted in that incident.

I truly, truly hope she is at peace. She lived a short life that was brutally, unfairly hard.

1991 photo by Linder. Sinéad's garden i think but I can't remember for sure. Looks like the tray is near Sinead so it seems she poured and therefore was the hostess? Not sure.

In her Rememberings book she wrote about Andy and Mike:

There Is a Light and It Never Goes Out, 1987

I AM ON TOUR in freezing England, supporting INXS. Right after I had agreed to tour with them, David Bowie asked me to support his band. It was a disappointment that I couldn’t accept but it’s brilliant that he asked me nonetheless. Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke, from the Smiths, are in my band. Andy is the funniest person I’ve ever met in my life. I love him.
Andy and his brothers would be on acid when the parish priest came round for tea with them and their father. The boys had to try to act normal round the table and not be crying-laughing. That’s one reason I love Andy—he cry-laughs. Crying-laughing is the greatest feeling ever and the funniest thing to watch. Him and Mike are really funny together. They make each other roll around on the floor. I love Mike too. They’ve made me love Manchester people. Dead straight. No bullshit. No un-frank conversation. Also, they treat me like a boy, which makes me a happy girl."

Quote above provided by FWD in 2021 on Moz Solo.
Thanks Acton. I love that photo. Thanks for the interesting quote too. Despite suffering, she had an exceptionally rich and creative life too 🙏

Didn't she separately collaborate with Johnny Marr? But never worked musically with Morrissey?

I know "Nothing Compares 2 U" has its own tremendous gravity that exerts a huge drag on her other work but I'm surprised "Mandinka" does not get more love. It's got great hooks and, for many of us Yanks, it raised the curtain on that amazing voice. The Lion And The Cobra was and is still incandescent.

Even before her son died I had suspected that she would leave this life too soon - so much abuse and hardship to overcome. I was sure she was going to be found dead when she went missing in Chicago back in 2016. Oddly, there's actually another glancing Morrissey tie in that story - she had been living with Matt Walker and his family for roughly two months leading up to the mental health crisis that resulted in that incident.

I truly, truly hope she is at peace. She lived a short life that was brutally, unfairly hard.
From FWD in 2021:

"In America in 2016 I stayed a few days with the one person I knew who might have an available floor. He then put me with a lovely family he knew, the Walkers. Which I was glad about because I didn’t like the way he treated his wife; he dealt with her like she was dirt. (When I left, I should have taken her with me.)
While staying with the Walkers, who lived in a tree-lined suburb of Chicago called Wilmette, I went to lots of psych appointments and had lots of counseling. Matt Walker is Morrissey’s drummer. His wife is Charlotte. And they are the people I owe my life to because if not for them having me live with them and if not for Charlotte bringing me to the doctor and the therapy appointments and staying around with me, I wouldn’t be here tonight writing. Without her at that time I could not walk."

[I hope FWD doesn't mind me reposting the above from 2021 but I thought it was relevant and easier this way for people to re-read it in the context of the sad passing of Sinéad]

Last edited:
Thanks Acton. I love that photo. Thanks for the interesting quote too. Despite suffering, she had an exceptionally rich and creative life too 🙏

Didn't she separately collaborate with Johnny Marr? But never worked musically with Morrissey?
I assume Marr would have met Sinead during the recording of Mind Bomb by The The. Sinead duets with Matt Johnson on Kingdom Of Rain.

Such a beautiful and fragile soul.
Be at peace now Sinead
Your light will be eternal.

Like the word hero, the word artist is much misused, but not in the case of Sinaed she was an artist of the highest calibre and we are the worse for her loss.

(Source photographer for Central image).

Back
Top Bottom