REQ: Joy Division 'Ceremony' demo

Coiffeur_En_Flame

I understand there's a few demo versions around of JD performing what would become New Order's first single. I'd love to hear this song with Curtis on vocals, cause as much as I love Barney, he ain't no Ian. If anyone has a version of this to upload, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance

:)

Coiff.

I understand there's a few demo versions around of JD performing what would become New Order's first single. I'd love to hear this song with Curtis on vocals, cause as much as I love Barney, he ain't no Ian. If anyone has a version of this to upload, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance

:)

Coiff.

Can't help you with uploads, sorry, but someone here recently posted the "Heart and Soul" box set (didn't they...?) and that is the collection with the "Ceremony" demo. Disc Three, I think. Don't get your hopes up. It is a poor quality recording which Stephen Morris dug up from his vaults.

The live version on "Still" is another agonizing piece of music. The song starts off abruptly, already a minute or two in, and Curtis's vocals are also muted in the beginning! Once the vocals do kick in it's a great version nonetheless. Curtis's voice and emphasis give the song a different texture.

Finally, you should not fail to seek out the "original" mix of New Order's "Ceremony", recorded as a three-piece. Although it is not Curtis singing, it is, in my mind, the definitive version: a raw surge of optimism in one massive speaker-smashing pulse of rhythm.

"Finally, you should not fail to seek out the "original" mix of New Order's "Ceremony", recorded as a three-piece. Although it is not Curtis singing, it is, in my mind, the definitive version: a raw surge of optimism in one massive speaker-smashing pulse of rhythm."

Stephen morris sings it instead, like he did at very very early gigs.
There is a bootleg audience recording of ceremony in full, poor quality but better than nothing.

"Finally, you should not fail to seek out the "original" mix of New Order's "Ceremony", recorded as a three-piece. Although it is not Curtis singing, it is, in my mind, the definitive version: a raw surge of optimism in one massive speaker-smashing pulse of rhythm."

There is a bootleg audience recording of ceremony in full, poor quality but better than nothing.

I don't think we're talking about the same version. The one I mean was actually released by Factory and it's definitely Barney singing. I've never been sure of the chronology but my assumption has always been that it was either a mistaken pressing of a rough mix or a "good" version they released and then, a bit later, superseded by releasing the more polished track eventually collected on "Substance". Even Saville's sleeve looks more refined.

In any case it is the version of "Ceremony" in the rust-colored sleeve. I discovered it completely by chance, probably the happiest accident in my brief record collecting career.

I did already have the Still version, I should have mentioned that. But thanks for the link anyway. :)

Can't help you with uploads, sorry, but someone here recently posted the "Heart and Soul" box set (didn't they...?) and that is the collection with the "Ceremony" demo. Disc Three, I think. Don't get your hopes up. It is a poor quality recording which Stephen Morris dug up from his vaults.

The live version on "Still" is another agonizing piece of music. The song starts off abruptly, already a minute or two in, and Curtis's vocals are also muted in the beginning! Once the vocals do kick in it's a great version nonetheless. Curtis's voice and emphasis give the song a different texture.

Finally, you should not fail to seek out the "original" mix of New Order's "Ceremony", recorded as a three-piece. Although it is not Curtis singing, it is, in my mind, the definitive version: a raw surge of optimism in one massive speaker-smashing pulse of rhythm.

I don't think we're talking about the same version. The one I mean was actually released by Factory and it's definitely Barney singing. I've never been sure of the chronology but my assumption has always been that it was either a mistaken pressing of a rough mix or a "good" version they released and then, a bit later, superseded by releasing the more polished track eventually collected on "Substance". Even Saville's sleeve looks more refined.

In any case it is the version of "Ceremony" in the rust-colored sleeve. I discovered it completely by chance, probably the happiest accident in my brief record collecting career.

I had heard there were various versions kicking around. I will certainly try and track your suggestions down, in particular the early New Order mix in the rust-coloured sleve you mentioned. If anyone has any of these alternate/early mixes on hand to upload, I'd really appreciate it.

Coiff.

Back
Top Bottom