Richard Blade (Sirius XM radio) talks about promoting Morrissey; writes open letter / email

Re: Richard Blade on Moz: "He is too great an artist to allow his talents to be squandered in pettin

Morrissey only seems to spend time with people on his payroll or fans (Julia, Russell Brand). They are all going to continuously tell him "yes". Richard Blade is risking being banished for his statement, but he's right.

Re: Richard Blade on Moz: "He is too great an artist to allow his talents to be squandered in pettin

Well, he certainly isn't the American version of John Peel (like the past post said).

He's the LA version.

Basically just a local DJ and those are a dime a dozen.

My original post read "my John Peel", asshole. I wasn't speaking for anyone else.

My post:
As a kid that grew up in Los Angeles when KROQ was a tastemaker (1984 through 1990-ish), Richard Blade was my John Peel--his opinion means a lot.

With that said, he f***ing nailed it with this post.

Re: Article: Richard Blade (Sirius XM radio) talks about promoting Morrissey; writes open letter / e

I posted the above about a week ago, so I was surprised to see posted here how serious Richard Blade's offer is/was to Morrissey and the band to appear on the show and play a few tunes.

Blake's letter refers to "hangers-on" that supposedly have some influence on Morrissey and his career. Forgive me if I seem skeptical, but since when has Morrissey listened to anybody regarding his career or anything else? Who are these alleged "hangers-on"; Linder, his mother, his cat?

Anyway, I'm a listener of Blade's show, so I hope Moz and the band take the offer. My only reservation that I, and perhaps Morrissey may have, is that Blade sometimes can be a little "stuck-in-the-past" (not unlike some here) and Our Man may not want to listen to, or answer about matters that belong in the past.

Re: Article: Richard Blade (Sirius XM radio) talks about promoting Morrissey; writes open letter / e

I posted the above about a week ago, so I was surprised to see posted here how serious Richard Blade's offer is/was to Morrissey and the band to appear on the show and play a few tunes.

Blake's letter refers to "hangers-on" that supposedly have some influence on Morrissey and his career. Forgive me if I seem skeptical, but since when has Morrissey listened to anybody regarding his career or anything else? Who are these alleged "hangers-on"; Linder, his mother, his cat?

Anyway, I'm a listener of Blade's show, so I hope Moz and the band take the offer. My only reservation that I, and perhaps Morrissey may have, is that Blade sometimes can be a little "stuck-in-the-past" (not unlike some here) and Our Man may not want to listen to, or answer about matters that belong in the past.

He doesn't seem to have hangers-on. I think he listens to Betty and that's about it.

My original post read "my John Peel", asshole. I wasn't speaking for anyone else.

My post:
As a kid that grew up in Los Angeles when KROQ was a tastemaker (1984 through 1990-ish), Richard Blade was my John Peel--his opinion means a lot.

He's probably referring to my post. Anyway, what is all the bitching about? Blade said they could do whatever they want, including lay down a live set in the studio. What a f***ing dick Richard Blade is to offer him some airspace and Moz fans an opportunity for some new recordings. He's just a dime-a-dozen DJ. :rolleyes:

That's my feeling about it as well. As I've said, I know nothing about Richard Blade (aside from the rather conflicted views of him shared in this thread), but the "open letter" format favored by so many people with internet access and a large audience always comes across to me like an attempt at publicly humiliating the recipient into responding—knowing they'll look bad if they don't. It's all very self-important.

It is a strange choice to write to someone exclusively wherein technically the recipient is the very last one to read it. Hardly a good place to start.

Facebook is not an open letter. The only thing open about this letter is it was never closed in the first place. It's obvious he wants to broadcast the exchange which for a DJ is an involuntary muscle reaction. They broadcast everything. There's no such thing as a private conversation these days.

If you were a teenager living in Los Angeles during the late '80s and you didn't know who Richard Blade was, you were living in a cave in the San Gabriel mountains.

You say that like living in a cave is a bad thing...

I'm sure Morrissey would've done just fine without this guy's radio show. He's no lord and saviour for god's sake. I cringe even thinking about those phone calls on the KROQ CD..... ugh.

Last edited:

Sorry, but you're a perfect example of what's wrong.
"Yes! Yes! YES! Everything you say is perfect, Morrissey! Everything you do is beyond question, Morrissey Sir!!! Anyone who does so is not worth you time! Can I clean your shoes please Sir? Not that there's any dirt on your perfect shoes or nuffink! I just want to clean them! O please say I can!!!!"

It's not healthy for him to be surrounded by people who praise him in suppository form.
If you really cared about him, you would see that.

All too true. Anyone who knows anything about Morrissey knows he has wasted so many chances. He could have made some really really great lps instead we get good ones.
The hangers on part, is all true. Morrissey wont change he needs people who are "nice" to him to feel important. The result of this is he is never tested and usually used from Tony and Kristeen to his band - how isolated must he be to get tricked for so long by them?
They all try and speak like him none have the wit or share the mindset. It's like being with loads of people like the singer from Gene, also someone who uses Morrisseys coat tails and is nothing at all like him.

Entering the morrissey world is sad, because he is great, he is a true talent and he is a good man. Yet he is mired by weakness and need.*His book shows this. The parts about the teenage life, smiths, early career are rich and poetic. By the end we are left with a hollow man going on about chart placings, people he thinks are friends when they are just leaches and how famous he is.The Smiths band did care for him, they did look out for him. This rockabilly lot onwards have only really used him. Boz is alright but he works with anyone and is just able.

It can be done. Look at Kate Bush, for example. Uncompromising since day one.

uncompromising, what bullshit. Some people believe anything the PR people say. She was on any show that would have her, made videos etc. She was even on Tiswas for god sake

All too true. Anyone who knows anything about Morrissey knows he has wasted so many chances. He could have made some really really great lps instead we get good ones.
The hangers on part, is all true. Morrissey wont change he needs people who are "nice" to him to feel important. The result of this is he is never tested and usually used from Tony and Kristeen to his band - how isolated must he be to get tricked for so long by them?
They all try and speak like him none have the wit or share the mindset. It's like being with loads of people like the singer from Gene, also someone who uses Morrisseys coat tails and is nothing at all like him.

Entering the morrissey world is sad, because he is great, he is a true talent and he is a good man. Yet he is mired by weakness and need.*His book shows this. The parts about the teenage life, smiths, early career are rich and poetic. By the end we are left with a hollow man going on about chart placings, people he thinks are friends when they are just leaches and how famous he is.The Smiths band did care for him, they did look out for him. This rockabilly lot onwards have only really used him. Boz is alright but he works with anyone and is just able.

They are his chances to waste. Why the hell do you think we get a say in that? Who's taking count of all the chances you mat have wasted in your life?

His problem is very simple - say it like it is - Morrissey is a big head!

My post:

Hey Bigger asshole, someone before you said he's like the American John Peel. THAT was where my comment came from.

I wasn't even replying to you.

Are you reading this board or just focusing on yourself?

You owe me an apology.

What are you talking about? All of the people Moz surrounds himself with are like Martin Rossiter? Do you have any idea at all what you are talking about?

Back
Top Bottom