Smiths/ Moz in TV adverts???

Bluebirds

Honest some of the things that cross my mind:

Anyway does anyone know if the music of Morrissey or the Smiths has ever been used in the world of television adverts. I'm aware of the Bernie Matthews advert- "Cook Bernard Matthews" but that wasn't about the music.

So assuming my presumption is correct- why? I would like to think its due to the ethics of the whole thing (as in belittle the legacy by selling out to the world of commerce) but, as I'm a cynic/ realist, is it a more complex legal matter to do with publishing rights etc.

Erm... It'll be because no one wants to use them. I don't believe Moz/Marr would be able to stop it from being used as they weren't able to do anything about Warner releasing 15 or so 'Best Of' albums. In the same way there's David Bowie songs used on adverts despite him personally not wanting them used for that sort of thing.

Simple fact is advertisers don't want Morrissey's voice on their products because it's not bland enough not to be noticed or mainstream enough to be interesting to the majority of consumers.

How soon is now was in a west wing advert.

"How Soon Is Now?" was used in a car commercial. I didn't notice which car company it was because three seconds into the ad I was weeping uncontrollably.

"How Soon Is Now?" was used in a car commercial. I didn't notice which car company it was because three seconds into the ad I was weeping uncontrollably.

That is actually quite sad. Fair enough if you cry at gigs etc, but at an advert including HSIN?.

Profanation of the sacred always brings tears to my eyes. After years of sneering at TV commercials that used music my parents liked, forever killing those records for me, one of the key songs of my childhood was stolen by an ad agency to sell a car. That the ad was probably put together by someone my own age, with whom I might have shared many affinities, only made the betrayal worse.

As for weeping at concerts, I'm happy to report I've never wept at a Morrissey show, although I once melted in torrents of hot tears as Barbra Streisand sang "You Don't Send Me Flowers" at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas a few years ago. Only the deep consolation of an All-U-Can-Eat buffet ticket in my pocket kept me from the local Emergency Room.

Back
Top Bottom