"Spent The Day In Bed" - new single debuts on BBC Radio 2 / The Chris Evans Show (Sep. 19)

oh god I've just noticed Gustavo's backing vocal in the chorus repeating "no bus, no boss" in Spanish and now I want to die

Oops, missed this bit off the end of the Telegraph review:
"Morrissey has been recording in Ennio Morricone's studio in Rome. Last week, at the Mercury Awards, I ran into a record executive who helped set it up, and he was raving about it. He called it the best solo album of Morrissey's career. That has got to be worth getting out of bed for."

This is closest to my opinion after a couple listens, though I'd downgrade "very important message" to "a dead-simple message but one you may not have thought of living out".

Totally agree on Morrissey's singles MO.

Overall an OK track that's in line with the last two albums. Not mad for the production on this particular track, but bring on the album!

I really enjoyed it. Catchy melody and a very important message: it's not funny out there, STAY IN. He often uses more lightweight, throwaway tracks for the singles - like Kiss Me a Lot, You're the one for me fatty, Sing your life etc. I'm optimistic for this album and hoping for a couple of torch songs to go along with the more poppy fare. I don't mind the artwork either - silly, shocking, unexpected.

Expected the worse after reading some comments, but it's actually great! Possibly his best post-comeback song yet imo! I love that light poppy sound of Kill Uncle and Bona Drag! The lyrics aren't bad enough to distract from the song and actually quite funny. Well done Moz! More of this please!

I think the way the song ends is like he is going back to sleep afer waking up, and deciding to stay in bed. How do you like that?

I'm fine with it I suppose. When I first heard that sound effect I was a bit put off but when I heard it recede at the end it made me think it probably sits well in the album flow. It also made me think of it as a framing piece, maybe to announce a new sound from the previous track

I like the vibe of the music, there is that late 60s/early 70s jaunty pop vibe which is fun and different enough to not be considered "same old". The vocal melody is ... ok... usually Morrissey's strongest point these days given his lyrics aren't as strong as they used to be. But after listening to it 3 times and then having a couple of hours break I can barely recall how it goes. So its either a slow grower or just doesn't do it for me. The worst bit by far are the lyrics... its amazing how... I don't know, "child-like" his lyrics have become? Its like a child's simplistic view on the world compared to the maturity of his younger days.
Seriously, the worst thing that's happened to him creatively has been to fall in with Russell Brand. This, lots of his stuff on WPINOYB and even many of the track names on LIHS just reek of dumbed down Brandisms. But where Brand at least has the ability to makes his nonsense sound kind of complex and intelligent, Morrissey seems to take a layperson's approach to it and offers almost a child's take on things.

Honestly, it's okay... Just okay like the last few albums. But easily forgettable. I don't see this having anywhere near the longevity of Vauxhall, Quarry, etc. In a couple of years this song will not be a blip on anyone's radar.

I liked it a bit more than you, but at the same time it's hard to argue with your basic points.
I think the "child's take" could work if it really did capture something of a child's naive brilliance, but it's not quite that...

"pillows like pillars" and the "time, do as I wish" bridge are a couple of the nicer flourishes.

As hardcore fans we may be underestimating potential radio popularity for casual listeners. Let's see how it plays out.

I like the vibe of the music, there is that late 60s/early 70s jaunty pop vibe which is fun and different enough to not be considered "same old". The vocal melody is ... ok... usually Morrissey's strongest point these days given his lyrics aren't as strong as they used to be. But after listening to it 3 times and then having a couple of hours break I can barely recall how it goes. So its either a slow grower or just doesn't do it for me. The worst bit by far are the lyrics... its amazing how... I don't know, "child-like" his lyrics have become? Its like a child's simplistic view on the world compared to the maturity of his younger days.
Seriously, the worst thing that's happened to him creatively has been to fall in with Russell Brand. This, lots of his stuff on WPINOYB and even many of the track names on LIHS just reek of dumbed down Brandisms. But where Brand at least has the ability to makes his nonsense sound kind of complex and intelligent, Morrissey seems to take a layperson's approach to it and offers almost a child's take on things.

Great new song! Very much in the vein of WPINOYB but with more lyrics! Very catchy - very promising start!

To anyone who is saying this song has good/great lyrics and a powerful message..... have you even listened to Morrissey prior to 2014?

he worst bit by far are the lyrics... its amazing how... I don't know, "child-like" his lyrics have become? Its like a child's simplistic view on the world compared to the maturity of his younger days.

This is spot on and exactly how I've felt since WPINOYB.

PWww0Ns.png

Morrissey is #trending on#twitter

To anyone who is saying this song has good/great lyrics and a powerful message..... have you even listened to Morrissey prior to 2014?

It's certainly a message that's very of the moment and on the minds of a lot of people

It is not the best I'm afraid. It is still worth cherishing for the line telling us to not watch watch the news. I still think it's my favourite song since the last album. Damon Albarn would get a Mercury Music Prize for this.

I think that telegraph review is spot on , I really like the track. I have listened to this man for 30 years since I was 12 and I always get a little pang of emotion when I hear him sing something new. There always seems to be something in a song by him that I really like. I love his voice when he sings 'stop watching the news' I think this could be a better title for the track or even the album! The banjo being picked in the background is also a nice touch, he needs to experiment with different sounds with a new album, and he is doing this. Not read a post yet on here mentioning the different tone of the track, a positive one telling us to stay in bed, be good to ourselves and throw our homework onto the fire if you like ! I find it really refreshing in that sense. Like with many of his lyrics, there is simplicity at times but it works for me. I like the different sounds in the production of it, although appreciate not everyone will. 'Let me Kiss You' it aint, but I was excited to hear him sing again and overall I think it's a good single that I have had on a loop all day and I cannot wait for the album. Love him.

It is not the best I'm afraid. It is still worth cherishing for the line telling us to not watch watch the news.

Really? How is that line worth cherishing? Have you seen him live before? He's been telling us that every single night for the last few decades! Change the record! He's probably going to thank Infowars in the sleeve notes of this album.

Back
Top Bottom