Springstein takes on Ticketmaster

Black Eyed

Isn't he gorgeous !!
Nice to see a big star noticing the Ticketmaser debacle everytime gigs are announced. Will things change?? probably not, but nice that its getting exposure:)

Springsteen Fans Outraged By Concert Ticket Flap
Reporting
Marty Griffin
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ―

Tickets to Bruce Springsteen's upcoming concert at Mellon Arena went on sale Monday and sold out in just a few minutes.

Many people ended up paying as much as 10 times over face value.

Now Springsteen himself is outraged and attorneys general around the country are starting to ask questions about the way Ticketmaster handles its business.

Joe Rotondo went online the minute Springsteen tickets went on sale at 10 a.m. Monday. One minute later, he saw something strange on the Ticketmaster site.

It told him all of the tickets he wanted were sold out and that he could buy tickets at another site, TicketsNow.

"But literally one minute into that auction Marty, all those tickets were on sale … marked up a thousand times," Rotondo said.

TicketsNow is owned by Ticketmaster. On that site, Springsteen tickets range from $134 to $1,000, even though Ticketmaster says the seats in Pittsburgh are sold out.

Springsteen lovers nationwide are outraged, accusing Ticketmaster of scalping tickets.

"They saw a market and they wanted to get into it and I think they're stealing away from the bands and the people, the promoters and the people putting on the show," Rotondo added.

Bruce Springsteen and his band apparently agreed. Springsteen filed a complaint with Ticketmaster and accused the company of being deceptive.

Springsteen asked that Ticketmaster stop the practice immediately and refund the extra money they may have spent on the tickets from TicketsNow.

"It really needs stopped so that the public has a fair chance at all these tickets and everybody's playing on an equal playing field," Rotondo said.

KDKA's Marty Griffin spoke to Ticketmaster and has a letter from the company's CEO. In it he states they were trying to provide more choices for consumers regarding tickets. However he admits they must have missed the mark.

The company promises to refund the difference between the actual purchase price and the face price of the ticket for fans who believe they were misled.

They are asking fans not to abuse this good faith gesture.

(© MMIX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

All "sold out" in minutes....highly priced tickets available elsewhere....

sounds familiar. :rolleyes:
It's been going on for years. About time ticket agents were made accountable and fans given a fair chance.

Springsteen needs a boost after Walmart mistake, but good to see an artist willing to wade in. With a face value ticket you get a lot for your money at a Springsteen concert.

Too long "self-regulating" = abuse of system. Bankers have shown us that on spectacular scale.:mad:

At least in Belgium they are actually doing something about this.
They are passing a new law there that will allow tickets to be resold on the internet at max. face value+10%. This will go for all tout/scalper/ebay/ticketsnow/whatever-sites.
You will of course still have the problem of touts/scalpers selling tickets outside the venues but this will eliminate at least 95% of the problem, I think.

ah yes, bruce springstein. the famous jewish american singer from new jersey.:p

Last edited:
At least in Belgium they are actually doing something about this.
They are passing a new law there that will allow tickets to be resold on the internet at max. face value+10%. This will go for all tout/scalper/ebay/ticketsnow/whatever-sites.
You will of course still have the problem of touts/scalpers selling tickets outside the venues but this will eliminate at least 95% of the problem, I think.

I doubt it. There are always ways around it, by bundling the tickets with some other worthless product at a crazy markup, or putting the markup in a service fee. I mean, that's how TM does it, right?

I am not sure about this, but I think that Massachusetts has a law against scalping, which doesn't allow the resale of tickets for over 15% of face value.

So far it hasn't worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom