Steve Lillywhite mentions Morrissey in ASCAP expo talk - hollywoodreporter.com

white-bear-bullshit1.jpg

He's on a stage giving a talk, he wanted to get a laugh. Not buying it.

Mega-Producer Steve Lillywhite Looks Back on Storied Past; Talks U2, Morrissey, Keith Richards - The Hollywood Reporter

Excerpt -

And Morrissey. “Morrissey is probably one of the more eccentric people I’ve ever worked with. He’s fearless in a lot of ways. Is this being filmed? I won’t tell that one. OK, I just won’t say the names. There was a very, very well known American manager. We’re in the studio out in the country in England. This manager managed probably the biggest solo artist in the world and he wanted to meet with Morrissey. He flew from Los Angeles to the studio. He walked in, Morrissey walked behind him, and Morrissey disappeared. Couldn’t find Morrissey anywhere. It got more and more embarrassing. Eventually, the manager just left. Then Morrissey came out. I asked him why he had left and he said, ‘I didn’t like his hair.’ He’s fearless.”

steve_lillywhite_ascap_expo_2013_l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey's "fearless" yet he disappears until someone whose hair he doesn't like is gone.

Wow, what a stalwart example of bravery.

Morrissey's "fearless" yet he disappears until someone whose hair he doesn't like is gone.

I think Steve Lillywhite was avoiding burning the Morrissey Bridge in case he gets a chance to work with him again. "I'm gonna call him an idiot, but I'm gonna praise him in the process so it'll all be okay and I can get a laugh and keep all my options open..." Dick.

using it to attack Morrissey (yawn, predictable) when you ought to be attacking SL for using an inaccurate adjective. Skylarker, you are beyond retarded.

I heard a story from a guy who worked at Hook End Manor studios in the late eighties, early nineties. Morrissey recorded there a few times around that period.

Anyway, the story goes that one morning Morrissey was late for the session and someone was sent scurrying off to find him. It turned out he refused to come down until a stylist was found as he was having problems with his hair. Studio time was ticking and the bill was mounting.

Where to find a stylist at such short notice while situated some miles outside of Reading? The solution was found. They sent the woman who made the sandwiches for everyone up to his room to pose as a hair stylist. Result, happy Moz, and session commenced soon afterwards.

I think Steve Lillywhite was avoiding burning the Morrissey Bridge in case he gets a chance to work with him again. "I'm gonna call him an idiot, but I'm gonna praise him in the process so it'll all be okay and I can get a laugh and keep all my options open..." Dick.
Probably but to be fair he didn't need to use the word 'fearless' didn't need to use any.

using it to attack Morrissey (yawn, predictable) when you ought to be attacking SL for using an inaccurate adjective. Skylarker, you are beyond retarded.

How's waiting for your posts to be approved working out for you, loser?

There may be more to Morrissey not wanting to meet the manager than "the hair", although I can believe it was part of it:p

Yes fearless is the wrong choice of words. When I heard Morrissey described as fearless and then heard he hid out, I had to chuckle.

I think what Steve Lillywhite meant was that Morrissey stands by what he thinks,believes or wants regardless of convention or social niceties. This is part of what makes him truly eccentric, brilliant, fascinating and infuriating.

I lied about Jessica Simpson's dad but I was thinking of that exact photo. Googled "bad hair entertainment manager" and got this
monkey-bad-hair-day.jpg

Looks like him.

I heard a story from a guy who worked at Hook End Manor studios in the late eighties, early nineties. Morrissey recorded there a few times around that period.

Anyway, the story goes that one morning Morrissey was late for the session and someone was sent scurrying off to find him. It turned out he refused to come down until a stylist was found as he was having problems with his hair. Studio time was ticking and the bill was mounting.

Where to find a stylist at such short notice while situated some miles outside of Reading? The solution was found. They sent the woman who made the sandwiches for everyone up to his room to pose as a hair stylist. Result, happy Moz, and session commenced soon afterwards.

:D

I'd believe that. Anyone who knows a fella with a Serious Quiff knows that nothing happens until the hair happens. If that fella is a musician, it's even worse. If that fella is Morrissey, all bets are off.

I think what Steve Lillywhite meant was that Morrissey stands by what he thinks,believes or wants regardless of convention or social niceties. This is part of what makes him truly eccentric, brilliant, fascinating and infuriating.

Some call it bravery, some call it the courage of his convictions, some call it neurosis and some call it madness.

In any event, well said. :)

Sounds perfectly legit and in keeping with Morrissey to me. All the way back to the Smiths there are stories of Morrissey blowing people out, disappearing or refusing to answer the door for ridiculous reasons.

Sounds perfectly legit and in keeping with Morrissey to me. All the way back to the Smiths there are stories of Morrissey blowing people out, disappearing or refusing to answer the door for ridiculous reasons.

I think he hates smalltalk.

I know a bloke who is roadie and he knows other roadies, anyway its common roadie gossip that Morrissey cancels gigs at the eleventh hour if he so much as sneezes, smells-meat/lady-month-time or the venue has poor ticket sales and will look empty ! They also say he's ruthless with explanations like saying a family member is ill or the bass player has snapped his spine or the whole band is ill and he wishes them well. Morrissey ! Whats he like eh ? Proper fearless and ruthless.

we'll let you know

If this is around Vauxhall era then it might be true. Moz was suppose to do a couple of shows in the US in 1994...one in LA (@ the Grand Olympic Auditorium) that KROQ heavily promoted. It was cancelled a week or two before the show was to take place. DJ Richard Blade relayed a couple of stories on the air about how his management couldn't find him. If I remember correctly, there was also a "design the sleeve for Morrissey's next single" contest tide to the promo of this show. Winners got to meet Morrissey. This was in the heyday when KROQ had "The More You Ignore Me" on heavy rotation.

Back
Top Bottom