Strange Celluloid.

nothappynotsad

Snapping necks and cashing checks
Let us discuss our favorite indie films or the films that we currently may be intrigued by. This evening, I am watching Begotten.

My favorites include Oldboy, Ichi The Killer, Julien Donkey-Boy, Gummo, and Salo. Come ye, fellow cinéaste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us discuss our favorite indie films or the films that we currently may be intrigued by. This evening, I am watching Begotten.

My favorites include Oldboy, Ichi The Killer, Julien Donkey-Boy, Gummo, and Salo. Come ye, fellow cinéaste.

Julien Donkey Boy and Gummo are absolutely phenomenal.

Harmony Korine shits gold, as far as I'm concerned.

I finally got around to seeing Mr. Lonely a few weeks ago. It was good, but it didn't blow me away.

But I found out that he did another film recently called Trash Humpers (I think?) and I will be watching that soon; it looks like classic Korine. The cover photograph alone is better than anything Hollywood has done for ten years.

I've not heard of those other ones you mentioned but I'll look them up...I've been out of the loop cinematically and I've been looking for something good. Anyone who lists Julien Donkey Boy as a favorite movie has to be a pretty reliably source of film recommendations.

Sleepaway Camp 2. That is all.

Julien Donkey Boy and Gummo are absolutely phenomenal.

Harmony Korine shits gold, as far as I'm concerned.

I finally got around to seeing Mr. Lonely a few weeks ago. It was good, but it didn't blow me away.

But I found out that he did another film recently called Trash Humpers (I think?) and I will be watching that soon; it looks like classic Korine. The cover photograph alone is better than anything Hollywood has done for ten years.

I've not heard of those other ones you mentioned but I'll look them up...I've been out of the loop cinematically and I've been looking for something good. Anyone who lists Julien Donkey Boy as a favorite movie has to be a pretty reliably source of film recommendations.

Mister Lonely didn't blow me away either. I saw it a few years ago at a little theatre in Laguna Hills. I was the only person in the entire theatre so although it didn't blow me away, it felt like a very intimate cinematic experience. I have yet to see Trash Humpers. I'm not sure why but I've been quite hesitant to watch it. I really want to see his short film, Mac and Plak.

Last edited:
One of my all time favorites.

One cold Saturday afternoon I called off work and watched this at random on Netflix. I was never the same again.

I did not care for 'Gummo' at all. Max Perlich is usually a delight but in this... no. I haven't seen Mister Lonely yet. I adore Samantha Morton though.

Warner Herzog's 'My Son, My son, what have you done?".
Chloe Svenigy is in it too. :)

Michael Shannon kills his mom with a sword. It's based on a true story of a guy in the 70s who was doing a play of Odeipus and used one of the props to kill his mom. Udo Kier and Willem Dafoe costar.
It's a delight. Pink flamingos, jello, mother obsessions. What else does a weird movie require?
Glittery gigantic sneakers?
Then try...

'The Passion of Darkly Noon' stars Brendan Frasier, Ashley Judd, Grace Zabrinski [also in My son] and Viggo Mortensen. It's from '96 and absolutely strange. Darkly Noon survived a suicide pact from his families religious cult.
I won't give anything else away.

Wong Kar Wai's Ashes of Time.

The Aussie movie 'Love Serenade' is awesome. It has cool stuff with fish obsessions for one thing.

One cold Saturday afternoon I called off work and watched this at random on Netflix. I was never the same again.

This looks great really fancy seeing this.

I don't know if it counts as "indie" or "strange" or not, but I really love Vincent D'Onofrio, Vince Vaughn, Benjamin Bratt and Keanu Reeves in 'Thumbsucker'. Especially Keanu as the wise orthodontist.

There are a great many strange and disturbed people in the world here's proof they shouldn't be given access to camera's. How did they spend £33,000 making this? Who gave it to them? Why?

There are a great many strange and disturbed people in the world here's proof they shouldn't be given access to camera's. How did they spend £33,000 making this? Who gave it to them? Why?

If you think that's bad, you should see the pretentious 4 minute trailer for it...

Repo Man. Emilio Estevez, aliens and the '80s. What more could you want?

Highway 61 - A canadian gem

Back
Top Bottom