Strange/unexpected Moz references?

View attachment 103236

As an aside to the above:

Dave Twist was very well known on the punk scene. (The Prefects, The Hawks et al).
Twist has an early history with Morrissey.
From a 2021 interview:

"I was sixteen in 76 and couldn’t find a single one of my friendship group who’d accompany me to see the Patti Smith Group. Most subscribed to the Melody Maker opinion that the band couldn’t play and that she looked like a man… All of that crap that the emerging scene had to breakthrough.
So, shoving my copy of Horses into a carrier bag, I headed for New Street alone. Way too early for the show I found myself down the wide side alley and listening to the soundcheck at the stage door. The only other fan waiting there was a youth who said he’d travelled from Manchester; wedge cut hair, clear plastic ‘Bowie’ sandals, national health spectacles. We got talking, he said that his name was Steven Morrissey and he wanted to start a New York Dolls appreciation society. We exchanged addresses.
We’d compared our collections: records and clippings. All of this stuff was so hard to come by in mid-70s Britain. Steven was desperate for any ‘swaps’ I might have and I knew that I had a couple of duplicate photos from Rock Scene and told him I’d mail them to him. One of these – of the Dolls onstage at the Mercer Arts Centre – was cropped out and included in his book. Steven was absolutely desperate though to acquire from me my import picture sleeve promo 45 of Trash/Personality Crisis.
I really have no idea how I came to keep his letters, but I did. Here’s the first with its envelope where, complete with misheard error, he’d scrawled the lyrics to Patti’s Kimberly on the reverse."

View attachment 103237

Gave me goosebumps reading this and looking at the images.

A little too hard to make out the text in the letters, but what a piece of history this is.

On the latest "Word in Your Ear" podcast,

(Neil Tennant remembers the pop press and “the last great era of forward-looking songs")

there is a small Morrissey mention, at 30:20 minutes, Neil Tennant meeting and having "a barbed chat with Morrissey".

Also, a Marr mention, at 28:00 minutes, a bit in passing about politics of the '80s and Johnny Marr being on the Red Wedge Tour and meeting (Carry Kemp?)

One Morrissey mention in the book: "Peter Asher - A Life In Music" (2023):

“When you’re someone who has the experience Peter has,” Sanctuary’s Merck Mercuriadis explained, “you also bring him in to work with projects that require his expertise.” The British singer Morrissey, signed to Sanctuary Records, was planning to record a live album at the close of 2004. “Morrissey admired Peter as much as I did,” said Mercuriadis, so he was tapped to produce the project, released the following year as Live at Earls Court. “All the vocals are completely live,” Peter stated, but there were a few musical fixes: “If there was a mistake, for example, you’d fix it with something from somewhere else,” as other shows from the tour were also recorded. Therefore, Peter and mixer Nathaniel Kunkel could take a guitar solo from a different date and fly it in to cover a bum note. “I ran everything by him,” Peter said of Morrissey. “A couple of times I sat in his car with him, playing stuff and getting approval. “He’s charming and intelligent and . . .” Peter paused, then said: “Occasionally unpredictable. And, of course, immensely talented. He’s brilliant. “I mean, he is a bit weird, but that’s part of the mystique, you know?”

Regards,
FWD.

One Morrissey mention in the book: "Peter Asher - A Life In Music" (2023):

“When you’re someone who has the experience Peter has,” Sanctuary’s Merck Mercuriadis explained, “you also bring him in to work with projects that require his expertise.” The British singer Morrissey, signed to Sanctuary Records, was planning to record a live album at the close of 2004. “Morrissey admired Peter as much as I did,” said Mercuriadis, so he was tapped to produce the project, released the following year as Live at Earls Court. “All the vocals are completely live,” Peter stated, but there were a few musical fixes: “If there was a mistake, for example, you’d fix it with something from somewhere else,” as other shows from the tour were also recorded. Therefore, Peter and mixer Nathaniel Kunkel could take a guitar solo from a different date and fly it in to cover a bum note. “I ran everything by him,” Peter said of Morrissey. “A couple of times I sat in his car with him, playing stuff and getting approval. “He’s charming and intelligent and . . .” Peter paused, then said: “Occasionally unpredictable. And, of course, immensely talented. He’s brilliant. “I mean, he is a bit weird, but that’s part of the mystique, you know?”

Regards,
FWD.
"... fly it in to cover a bum note. “I ran everything by him,” Peter said of Morrissey. “A couple of times I sat in his car with him, playing stuff and getting approval..."
I was hoping he was going to say, something like, that Morrissey could tell, and would know, when the "fly in" was in the song just by knowing all his performances so well.
I like: "... He’s brilliant. “I mean, he is a bit weird, but that’s part of the mystique..."

Blitz Vega is a project launched by the late Andy Rourke (bassist from The Smiths) & KAV. The Disconnected music video was
Directed & shot by MartinJ Pickering.
Edited by Paul Mulvey, MartinJ Pickering & Kate Taylor.
Disconnected is performed by Blitz Vega. Written by Andy Rourke & Kav Sandhu
Blitz Vega are - Andy Rourke, Kav, Asa Brown, Greg Gent, Craig Eriksson.
Produced by Andy Rourke, Kav Sandhu, Will Kennedy.
Mixed by Will Kennedy,
Guest Backing Vocals by Erin Neill Etoroma, Guest Keyboards by Phil Galloni.
Engineers, Zach Fisher, Brian Fombona, Phil Galloni, Will Kennedy.
Mastered by Peter Hewitt-Dutton The Bakery c/o Sony TV Studios Culver City.
Recorded in Los Angeles at - Big Bad Sound, Voltiv Hollywood, Studio Delux Sound City

Video appeared yesterday.
FWD.

Screenshot_20240410-152244.png

This links to a November 2023 podcast interview with Miki Berenyi from the band Lush. She talks about seeing The Smiths at Dingwalls in 1983 (about 47 minutes in). Sorry, can't remember if it was posted here at the time.

This links to a November 2023 podcast interview with Miki Berenyi from the band Lush. She talks about seeing The Smiths at Dingwalls in 1983 (about 47 minutes in). Sorry, can't remember if it was posted here at the time.

love it when Morrissey cutely has a poke at his fans. I’ve been there, Lol.

1712833948830.jpg
1712833949007.jpg
1712833949143.jpg
1712833949293.jpg

Small mention in Classic Pop's latest.
The whole thing included for completeness.
FWD.

It's from 2018 but today it appeared on YouTube. And honestly, it's the first time I've heard it. :cool:

Links to a podcast interview of Suzi Ronson. Very brief Morrissey mentions from about 44:00 - nothing new though.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom