Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Was this somewhat garish commercial article in Vibration Magazine, about The Smiths being indie pioneers, missed last November? https://www.vibrationmagazine.com/the-smiths/ No writer name. Is AI suspected?

Also, this reference, Musicology Blog, where ten or so Smiths songs are studied for fairly substantial individual write-ups, annoyingly undated, as far as I can see - https://www.musicology.blog/ask-me-about-the-smiths-a-tune-that-defined-an-era/ No authors are named either, so perhaps AI is doing the hard lifting here too? How can people tell? Brain pain?

Dearie me, a truly terrible article in The Guardian by Tim Jonze, attempting to figure out why some rock and pop stars get cancelled and others seemingly don't. Mentions for Bowie (mostly), Michael Jackson, Ike Turner, Chris Brown, R Kelly and - of course, this being Jonze and The Guardian - Morrissey. Relevant snippet below:

"How do you grapple with cases in which there are conflicting views and grey areas? Does Morrissey’s embrace of far-right political groups such as For Britain have to be weighed on some kind of moral scale against Johnny Marr’s progressive values, to work out if the Smiths are cancelled?"

Only waste your time if you are deeply invested in this stuff.

Dearie me, a truly terrible article in The Guardian by Tim Jonze, attempting to figure out why some rock and pop stars get cancelled and others seemingly don't. Mentions for Bowie (mostly), Michael Jackson, Ike Turner, Chris Brown, R Kelly and - of course, this being Jonze and The Guardian - Morrissey. Relevant snippet below:

"How do you grapple with cases in which there are conflicting views and grey areas? Does Morrissey’s embrace of far-right political groups such as For Britain have to be weighed on some kind of moral scale against Johnny Marr’s progressive values, to work out if the Smiths are cancelled?"

Only waste your time if you are deeply invested in this stuff.

Clearly he hasn't done much research as The Sound Of The Smiths has been in the charts for 521 weeks, so they're definitely not cancelled.

Radio X’s annual Best of British, 2024 edition: https://charts.radiox.co.uk/best-of-british-2024/

Disgusted at seeing TIALTNGO at 20, highest Smiths entry, behind not-so-sweet nothings such as Stereophonics, Paolo Nutini, Sam Fender and Skunk Anansie. And Love Will Tear Us Apart is at 16, also behind Skunk, Fender and absolute nobodies such as Nothing But Thieves.

And when oh when will people stop praising Queen?

Radio X’s annual Best of British, 2024 edition: https://charts.radiox.co.uk/best-of-british-2024/

Disgusted at seeing TIALTNGO at 20, highest Smiths entry, behind not-so-sweet nothings such as Stereophonics, Paolo Nutini, Sam Fender and Skunk Anansie. And Love Will Tear Us Apart is at 16, also behind Skunk, Fender and absolute nobodies such as Nothing But Thieves.

And when oh when will people stop praising Queen?
Freddie Mercury is one of the greatest frontmen of all time and Bohemian Rhapsody is a masterpiece

On Louise Duffy's radio show, going out lunchtimes on national RTE Radio 1, she chatted today with special live guest, singer/songwriter Jack O' Rourke, who told her about the numerous times he played in the tiny but revered venue of Mike the Pies Listowel, about which he also wrote a lovely song called Valhalla. He then threw in the observation that the owner-manager Aidan O' Connor has a Morrissey tattoo on his thigh!

I saw a post on twitter yesterday saying the Cure and Morrissey are playing a massive gig in the US, I followed the link to tickets and got this laughing head gif, then it dawned on me that it was the 1st April.
I saw it and did the same exact thing

The Smiths' compilation album "Louder Than Bombs" was released on March 30th, 1987, by Sire Records in the US. Compared to the UK compilation "The World Won't Listen," "Louder Than Bombs" offered a more comprehensive collection of tracks, including three Peel session cuts. The album was so popular that it charted in the UK at #38 in April 1987, despite being an import. In 2003, Rolling Stone ranked it #365 on their list of "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time."

The classic single "William, It Was Really Nothing" featured on the album showcases Johnny Marr's ringing arpeggios and chiming chords, composed in the back of their tour van. Morrissey's lyrics critique small-town life and the inevitability of marriage, reflecting themes from the film "Billy Liar." The song's unconventional structure and concise length exemplify The Smiths' unique approach to pop music.

Speculation arose about the identity of "William" in the song, with some believing it referred to Associates frontman Billy Mackenzie, who had visited Morrissey in London. Although their encounter ended in disappointment, Mackenzie's bandmate Alan Rankine later wrote a seeming response song titled "Steven, You Were Really Something," misspelling Morrissey's first name.

Screenshot_20240402-095833.png

I'd completely etched Mike Smith out of my memory...
Text from "Decade 77-87 - a grown up disco: new wave, punk, postpunk, goth & indie" FB - video won't embed (William - TOTP).
FWD.

"An early video of the cover of the Smiths Track - The Queen is Dead"

(Bigmouth...)

"Filmed sometime in the early nineties"

The Wedding Present-related group sharing old live versions today.
FWD.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom