Talent borrows, genius steals- unacknowledged references in Morrissey's work

Barking, you never cease to amaze me. You are the true genius of this Forum.

My doggie in thinking about this cupcake was really in fact subliminally thinking about Gilbert O'Sullivan. Particularly his hairdo.

1000 mozmic points are coming to you via rainbow into your cellar door where we will be jolly friends forever more, more more.

So anyway...I was totally just reading this fascinating thread for the last ten minutes or so.

sparks - beaver o' lindy

"Well, I'm the girl in your head but the boy in your bed"

"The London that's dead, the London that's dead"

maybe...

AE Housman- 'Here Dead We Lie'

"Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose"

I'm also reading Donna Tartt's 'The Secret History' at the moment, and wondering if Morrissey ever read it in the early nineties. One of the main characters (who is eventually murdered by his friends) is called 'Bunny', which could link to "But Bunny, I loved you" if it really is a reference. It would also add to the implications of gang mentality in 'Now My Heart Is Full' which Morrissey has mentioned before. As a side note, it's really a fantastic novel. I'd highly reccommend it. :)

Graham Greene's A Burnt-Out Case has the line, "You are the Querry..?"

The main character, Querry, is a celebrity architect in Europe, but he's living in a remote part of central Africa where no one knows him. He's eventually recognized with the line, "You are the Querry..?" It seems to signal the end of his reclusive existence and his return to his former profession with the eventual hounding by the press, etc., that he had tried to leave behind.

Graham Greene's A Burnt-Out Case has the line, "You are the Querry..?"

The main character, Querry, is a celebrity architect in Europe, but he's living in a remote part of central Africa where no one knows him. He's eventually recognized with the line, "You are the Querry..?" It seems to signal the end of his reclusive existence and his return to his former profession with the eventual hounding by the press, etc., that he had tried to leave behind.

Very nice spot.

This sort of reminded me of Still Ill. "Britain owes you a lot, and you ought to remind her of it."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom