The Bowery Play by Play Thread

Did you all buy tickets from scalpers or anybody got lucky at the door/ticketmaster?

The ever-quotable Morrissey did not disappoint last night at Bowery Ballroom. (No doubt, he will be just as free-wheeling at Webster Hall on Wednesday and Carnegie Hall on Thursday.)

Here's a recap:

TOP 10 THINGS MORRISSEY SAID LAST NIGHT

10. Does anybody have on their person a dead cat? I’d like to see if I can swing it.
9. If ever a venue was made for a gong, it’s the Bowery Ballroom.
8. I’m the type who just can’t find love.
7. Who am I? This is a question that many have died trying to answer... I can only be identified on a slab, by the scars of pain.
6. So what the hell happens now?
5. We’re like a jealously guarded can of sardines.
4. Tonight’s manifesto is...
3. Is he making fun of me? He will some day.
2. Written in pain!
1. In a few days, we will be in a posher part of town, so obviously none of you will be there. Nice meeting you.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/entertainment/music/blog/2009/03/top_10_things_morrissey_said_l_1.html

Though he was in grand spirits and still joked a lot onstage, this time out, Morrissey is not kidding around.
His 80-minute show Saturday night at Bowery Ballroom – the smallest New York venue he has played in more than a decade – matches the album it supports well. Like much of “Years of Refusal,” it was harder, tougher and far more indie-rock than he has been in years.
Morrissey set the evening’s mood right off the bat, opening with The Smiths’ “This Charming Man,” but replacing Johnny Marr’s flowery jangle with Boz Boorer’s muscular, straight-forward power chords in the chorus. Not only does it make the classic sound like a whole new song, but it makes it clear exactly how Morrissey and The Smiths influenced the current crop of emo and post-emo kids.
The indie vibe fit nicely against new songs “Black Cloud,” which could have just as easily come from Arcade Fire as Moz, and the punk-ish “Something Is Squeezing My Skull,” which was even more ferocious live than it is on “Years of Refusal.” Morrissey surrounded the new songs with some of his harder-hitting ones, including a revved-up “Irish Blood, English Heart” and the biting nugget “Best Friend on the Payroll” from 1995's “Southpaw Grammar.” Even the tender “Let Me Kiss You” got roughed-up a bit.
Of course, Morrissey still knows how to deliver heartache more elegantly than almost anyone, pairing the lovely new “I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris” (and delivering the sad-sack punchline “because only stone and steel accept my love” extra poignantly) with a lovely version of “How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?” from his new-millennium comeback-of-sorts “You Are the Quarry.”
And he also knows better than to mess with the signature sound of “How Soon Is Now?,” which had the trademark guitar reverb turned up extra loud, though he has modified some lyrics to reflect the times. (“So you go and you stand on your own and you leave on your own and you cry” is followed by “Oh what a big surprise!” instead of “And you want to die!”) Less drama, more jaded snarkiness! Who says Morrissey is not of these times?
His “Years of Refusal” have certainly worked wonders for him.

SETLIST: This Charming Man / Billy Budd / Black Cloud / How Soon Is Now? / Irish Blood, English Heart / Let Me Kiss You / I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris / How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel? / Seasick, Yet Still Docked / The Loop / I Keep Mine Hidden / The World Is Full of Crashing Bores / Why Don’t You Find Out for Yourself? / Ask / Best Friend on the Payroll / Sorry Doesn’t Help / Something Is Squeezing My Skull / I’m OK By Myself // ENCORE: First of the Gang to Die

http://weblogs.newsday.com/entertainment/music/blog/2009/03/morrissey_bowery_ballroom_3210.html

Last edited:
Did you all buy tickets from scalpers or anybody got lucky at the door/ticketmaster?

Scalped but it was well worth.....probably will never see Moz in a venue that small again.

post-play:

Best... Show... Ever.
that sums it up!

washing off whatever scum i was covered in from sleeping in the bowery...i thought to myself, i slept where so many legends have either passed out, puked, pissed, etc...

up the new york punks of the 70s!

also, at one point during the night somone told us we can go around the corner to sleep...at the bowery mission. haha

3 large pieces of shirt, a great firm cold as stone handshake, and met a ton of solo-ers. some unnecessary drama in line early on (as always), but the best show i'll ever go to.

see you guys tonite after i get everyone else's sweat off of me

Amazing!! I'm not even slightly jealous - you guys totally deserved it! Next time then for me - unfortunately there's no way I could make it to any other gig on this tour...

Sorry - those autographed LPs - were they available from the very beginning?

Thank you, guys! Sorry, what I meant was if they start selling them from the doors time or after the show? I'm a bit confusing...

3 large pieces of shirt, a great firm cold as stone handshake, and met a ton of solo-ers. some unnecessary drama in line early on (as always), but the best show i'll ever go to.

see you guys tonite after i get everyone else's sweat off of me

Hey!!! Thank you so much for the piece if the shirt you gave me!! :)

point blank , the best show EVER!! Worth every dollar I paid on Stubhub, hell after the show the price felt like a steal. I thought the Welmont show was great (it was) but being in NYC at the Bowery was a totally different experience.

By the middle of the show I felt like I was on a few hits of ecstacy...If you could believe it I never heard Moz bring so much life & pain into these songs & Boz & the band amazing!! the sea of people swaying etc was great.

Smoke a few joints up there but couldn't make it through the entire show in the pit because I had back surgury less then a year ago & damn my body was hurtin..wound up to the left about the time when Boz statrted yelling at the guys beating the shit out of one another...even from the back you felt so close..

also this really felt like old NYC & not the toutrist feeling of today...so many different types of people there from so many different backgrounds getting together....real tuff NY show like the old days...definatly made me feel like a kid again!!

Last edited:
I can certainly attest to the greatness of the atmosphere, although I only hung around outside and never made it in. Still can't believe I gave up on the idea of trying to make it, but being broke wasn't helping my chances. I can go on about it for an eternity...

Back
Top Bottom