The Bowery Play by Play Thread

ive seen people describing the concert as a unique, once in a lifetime experience..
so what exactly did make the concert better than the others.. beside seiing moz in a small venue?and moz being in good spirits (talkative etc)

ive seen people describing the concert as a unique, once in a lifetime experience..
so what exactly did make the concert better than the others.. beside seiing moz in a small venue?and moz being in good spirits (talkative etc)

It was certainly the most fun I've had at a Morrissey show; the energy in that room was amazing.

Any performer will tell you that the show is about the audience. This crowd was enthusiastic in a great way - raucous, loving and physical. He just reflected back the love in that room. From the moment he walked on stage, you could feel his enthusiasm and high spirits; it was in his body language, his vocals, his little quips.

A great moment was when he surveyed the room, obviously moved, and said "this is my life, this is my life." That about sums it up.

By the middle of the show I felt like I was on a few hits of ecstacy...If you could believe it I never heard Moz bring so much life & pain into these songs & Boz & the band amazing!! the sea of people swaying etc was great.

also this really felt like old NYC & not the toutrist feeling of today...so many different types of people there from so many different backgrounds getting together....real tuff NY show like the old days...definatly made me feel like a kid again!!

So right. I freaked out when I heard that Morrissey was playing the Bowery Ballroom because I've never seen a bad performance there. It's a great space, and I've been going to shows there forever. I just knew the energy was going to be right. The mix of people was perfect.

There was so much pain as well as pleasure in his voice - I thought I was going to swoon away with pleasure (and having the breath squeezed out of me). The guy behind me who took my hand and lifted it up to Morrissey, that was such a kind gesture. A great concert is a shared, revelatory experience, and The Bowery show just epitomized that in every way.

All I can say is that I did not go and have been listening to Moz/The Smiths non stop ever since. Just took my life over.

I swore during one of the songs he broke down a little....it looked like his eyes were welling up.

bow1.jpg
bow2.jpg
bow3.jpg
bow4.jpg
bow5.jpg
bow6.jpg
bow7.jpg
bow8.jpg

Great photos Flax! Thanks for sharing. I was right behind you I think.

Wow, I'm in awe of the Bowery show. You lucky ducks! :thumb: AMAZE-ing pictures, thanks! :guitar:

i echo these sentiments. i probably would have added something about being intensely jealous and hating you all, but yeah.

my folks would probably cry themselves to sleep every night if they knew how long (and where) i waited on line for this show... and at this age!

but it was probably the best show in history...
I don't think I will ever see another show by anyone - quite as good as this one...
that was just incredibly intimate... so close that it felt like a rock concert version of when you are a kid and someone reads a book to you at the foot of your bed.

The crowd was great and not too rough... it was just too small to be wild - I remember all to well the feeling of Moz walking out of limelight after 20 something minutes... that was the only other time I saw Moz in a venue anywhere near this small...

I noticed something very cool (to me...) This sooo reminded me of the limelight show where Morrissey said very little... What he did say at that show was something like "are you comfortable?"
I remember hearing that so well... because I don't think I had ever been more uncomfortable in my life... there were fights and it was dangerously packed and rough and... and...

That show was cut after 20 something minutes because FDNY shut it down.

So, at Bowery I was kind of tickled when the first thing I heard from Moz is "are you more comfortable now."

:) :) :) Makes me wonder if:

A) I am just nuts... (and perhaps my folks SHOULD cry themselves to sleep every night)

B) Moz is PARTICULARLY clever and spends a lot of time on passions researching what he will say next...
or

C) Moz is sometimes on a spiritual plane that trascends time and space but where similar moments connect into a zenlike stream of conscious haiku-like communication...

At the moment I choose C.

And this show was in fact very different from limelight... obviously. I love that he was so chatty with us this time...

If Moz can top that show I suppose it won't be the first time Moz has a gem up his sleeve...but if he doesn't it won't matter... that was utterly fulfilling.

Last edited:
Thank you!
Did we meet?

I don't think we met. Originally (before the crazy shifting of the crowd during that first rush) I was standing a few behind you, by Joey. Then after the shift there was a shorter woman behind you and I was behind her. The poor lady must have been smooshed. :(

Anyway I'm sure I'll see you tomorrow. Hopefully another great performance with some more great pics.

flax, awesome pics!!!!

god damn thats crazy I was thinking Limelight all the way...I wasn't there for the Moz show but the all around people & feeling totally took me back there..right on!!!

saw that shirt being cut the hell up too...nice pic!

Back
Top Bottom