Morrissey Central "The importance of an artist can be found in the efforts to silence him." (June 30, 2023)

IMG_5645.jpeg
IMG_5646.jpeg
IMG_5647.jpeg
IMG_5648.jpeg

unnamed-2.jpg

Capitol is keeping his album and refusing to release it. And the press' silence about it is a bit baffling (giving one interview or two would help though).
You would think his experience with Capitol would maybe have taught him that record labels are not his friend. Nor are they in any way necessary in 2023 for an established artist to release new music.

Yet still he hankers for a new label to take him on.

I think his trouble is that if he does self release, and it doesn't chart very well, then he has no record label to point the finger at. The responsibility will be his and his alone. And he doesn't like to carry the can.

We are now approaching 20 years since YATQ, which was the last undisputably great Morrissey album. Since then his output has either been medicore, or great only in flashes.

Bottom line is, his material just isn't good enough anymore.

Money. He wants to spend someone else's money. Not his own. This is the sole reason
Who’s paid for tours, recording sessions and whatnot when he’s been without a label or management, like he is now? I’m sure you’re great at crossword puzzles, but you’re way off here, man.

I think Morrissey views self-releasing as some kind of admission of defeat, unfortunately. And as further ammunition for detractors, e.g. "how sad, the guy has to release his music himself, as nobody wants him." That kind of thing. Which is a shame. Someone needs to sit him down and explain the benefits of music platforms like Bandcamp to him.
It's such a boomer mentality. It's like he still thinks you have to have a label so that people can buy your records at Woolworths and so that you can appear on Top of the Pops. Someone needs to tell him that it isn't 1989 anymore.

If he feels his music matters, and he wants his fans to hear his music, then I really don't get the apparent stigma he has for self releasing.

Justified or not, the labels won't touch him. He has admitted as much. So what now? Sulk and keep your new music under lock and key?

Radiohead have self released, and they're an extremely popular, critically acclaimed group. They are still the sort of indie darlings Morrissey once was.

Self releasing the new material would not be an admission of defeat. It would be an admission that the industry has changed, which it quite plainly has.

Evolve or die.

I want to know how he pays the band or for studio time without a contract. It must be out of his own savings?

Anyway, I love Morrissey but ... yes, he is a victim of his own narcissism. On the one hand, he always claims to be so successful with his tours without the hype and support. On the other hand, he says his albums flop because of a lack of record company/management support.
When it comes to the music business, while Morrissey may have kept his integrity, he has lost his mind.
He also seems to think that people in the industry simply exist to support him and his career. No, they are there to make money and advance their own careers. So you're free to say anything you want. No one is stopping you. No one is censoring you. But no one else is obligated to support it, either. Don't like it? Release your music for free on the Internet, dummy.
Morrissey needs people around him to give him some home truths such as these.

I wonder what the likes of Linder and Chrissie Hynde make of it all?

A true friend will give you a kick up the arse when needed.

:(is it easier to believe that one is silenced than to accept that one isn't that relevant anymore (to the general public)? This is not meant to be spiteful, it's just that most of the points above don't have anything to do with being silenced.

No record label - well, disputable how that came about
No management - because he doesn't want one?
No Airplay - where? The radio? And how if there aren't any albums out
No press support - he doesn't talk to the press
No releases since March 2020 - because he doesn't have a record label and refuses to self release (that would be a very artsy and punk thing to do and would suit his cause and roots that major record labels are not about real art and he has the resources)
No media interest in BOT and 40 years - again - he doesn't talk to the press.

You could add that there also luckily wasn't any major press coverage of him reposting David Vance.

He has isolated himself more and more for whatever reason and refuses to play the game that would get him all of the above. A major point is being out there not just at his own concerts or on his own website. Doing PR. He doesn't want that so it's a simple equation:
You don't talk to the press for years, you don't get your albums out, so you get no Airplay, you are no asset to a major label and the press/public just loses interest in you.

Sadly with this he can't have both. He can't be the super successful relevant popstar and don't go with the times. He doesn't have to but he craves it somehow.

He has a massive legacy he can be proud of so why doesn't he just put his work out there and maybe people outside the Morrissey bubble would listen again? He could do it on his own terms. But instead he believes he is being silenced. In my opinion the only one that silenced him is himself. Talk to people, get your work out there - be relevant or just be happy with what you have - a very dedicated fanbase.
The thing is, if he self-releases and it flops, there is no record company to blame. He has to have someone to blame, because poor songwriting (Moz) or crap music (Jessie) couldn’t POSSIBLY be the reason the album doesn’t sell.

Morrissey needs people around him to give him some home truths such as these.
Quite right.

The problem is that he has had such people. They were his managers and when they told him things he didn't want to hear, he probably got his nephew to leave a note under one of their car window wipers.

It's such a boomer mentality. It's like he still thinks you have to have a label so that people can buy your records at Woolworths and so that you can appear on Top of the Pops. Someone needs to tell him that it isn't 1989 anymore.

If he feels his music matters, and he wants his fans to hear his music, then I really don't get the apparent stigma he has for self releasing.

Justified or not, the labels won't touch him. He has admitted as much. So what now? Sulk and keep your new music under lock and key?

Radiohead have self released, and they're an extremely popular, critically acclaimed group. They are still the sort of indie darlings Morrissey once was.

Self releasing the new material would not be an admission of defeat. It would be an admission that the industry has changed, which it quite plainly has.

Evolve or die.

Good points! And of course he should self release!

At least he's still playing the gigs, and the South American ones are going to be huge. I just hope the band sounds good.

'No Management'? Well duh, that's because you sacked them, the same as the two dozen managers before that. :squiffy:

Nothing at all do with just being Morrissey eh? He's almost Tory like in his insular mentality, loads of people struggling to make ends meet, but what about my status/ego? He'a brought it all down himself, the world is all against me/victimisation is total nonsense. There used to be a lot of respect for him, not necessarily from fans either. More because of his non conformity and not towing the line stance.....that's all burnt out now.
To quote a Beck song, "Nobody's Fault But My Own'......

Yeah, he’s overestimating the value of a record label in 2023. That and if the album tanks, he hasn’t got anyone to blame but himself.

But the biggest problem of it all is, he’s oblivious to the effects his behavior has on his career and reputation. He can’t say some of the things he’s said or post some of the things he’s posted and expect everyone to be fine with it. Nor can he write record and/or perform the music he’s written, recorded and performed this past decade and expect an endless amount of record labels to release said music. All of this combined makes for a disastrous situation and career. Sure, he can perform live, because he’s still a fine performer and he still has a big enough audience to do so, but I’d be surprised if the media or the music business change their tune any time soon.

And no, no one is out to get him. The fact that he still thinks so is evident to him not changing his ways.

Yeah, he’s overestimating the value of a record label in 2023. That and if the album tanks, he hasn’t got anyone to blame but himself.

But the biggest problem of it all is, he’s oblivious to the effects his behavior has on his career and reputation. He can’t say some of the things he’s said or post some of the things he’s posted and expect everyone to be fine with it. Nor can he write record and/or perform the music he’s written, recorded and performed this past decade and expect an endless amount of record labels to release said music. All of this combined makes for a disastrous situation and career. Sure, he can perform live, because he’s still a fine performer and he still has a big enough audience to do so, but I’d be surprised if the media or the music business change their tune any time soon.

And no, no one is out to get him. The fact that he still thinks so is evident to him not changing his ways.
the bottom line is that most of his so-called cancellable offenses would be forgiven or overlooked if the music he made was still good -- he cant poke the hornet's nest while producing crap, it just doesnt work that way

Poor sales for Mexico City Palacio de los Deportes. Smells like cancellation. So sad.

The photo from The Dan is really cool!!!

I am very excited and grateful for the upcoming concerts!

Morrissey, please, please, please find a way to release these albums! We love you and want to hear them! And maybe try to play ball, just a wee, wee bit! 💕💕

Back
Top Bottom