The Smiths CD Album RoughCD61

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Exactly how rare is this? I just bought a copy of the first album on CD, original Rough Trade release, thinking I was getting a rarity, but is it?

Peter

If it has This Charming Man...it's probably not that rare...

If it doesn't...then it is rare...

I have the vinyl Sans This Charming Man...

Every UK debut cd with the ROUGH serial number will not have This Charming Man.

Every UK debut cd with the ROUGH serial number will not have This Charming Man.

ahh good to know...so only the Rough Trade CASSETTE has This Charming Man?

All the rough trade cds are relatively hard to find, due to cds not being that popular at that time.

I think you'll find that The Smiths Rough Trade cds of the earier albums were released retrospectivly when the cd format was releaed in 1985(?). But I may be completely wrong.

I prefer to listen to 'The Smiths' without This Charming Man 'cos that's how it was originally intended... same with 'Meat Is Murder', without How Soon Is Now.

I prefer to listen to 'The Smiths' without This Charming Man 'cos that's how it was originally intended... same with 'Meat Is Murder', without How Soon Is Now.

okay, I've always understood why Meat Is Murder doesn't need How Soon Is Now, it was already avaliable on Hatful Of Hollow, and was added for US Release because Hatful wasn't released here...but it made absolutely no sense for This Charming Man to be omitted from The Smiths...Hand In Glove was OLDER and it was still on the debut...unless someone was trying to say This Charming Man wasn't GOOD ENOUGH to be on the album, which is absolutely absurd..

okay, I've always understood why Meat Is Murder doesn't need How Soon Is Now, it was already avaliable on Hatful Of Hollow, and was added for US Release because Hatful wasn't released here...but it made absolutely no sense for This Charming Man to be omitted from The Smiths...Hand In Glove was OLDER and it was still on the debut...unless someone was trying to say This Charming Man wasn't GOOD ENOUGH to be on the album, which is absolutely absurd..

Yes it was absurd; but nevertheless, those were the artists' (absurd) intentions;)

Well having said that, it wasn't completely irrational, wasn't Hand In Glove included because Morrissey liked it so much and felt it hadn't got enough exposure on initial release? Presumably he either wasn't attached to This Charming Man to the same degree, or felt it had had at least some exposure already.

Yes it was absurd; but nevertheless, those were the artists' (absurd) intentions;)

Well having said that, it wasn't completely irrational, wasn't Hand In Glove included because Morrissey liked it so much and felt it hadn't got enough exposure on initial release? Presumably he either wasn't attached to This Charming Man to the same degree, or felt it had had at least some exposure already.

Ah....interesting that Morrissey had the control over what Rough Trade did, but seemed to have none whatsoever what Sire did...

I think Morrissey is of the opinion, as am I that Singles and Albums CAN be seperate commoditties...which is sadly no longer the case in the US....and may not be much longer in Europe....The last non-album single Morrissey released was Sunny in 95

Back
Top Bottom