The Smiths Top 10 Marmite on MSN

http://music.uk.msn.com/photos/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=153520137&page=3

How can anyone possible HATE The Smiths? It's emotionally, mentally and physically impossible! They're probably the most FAMOUS alternative rock band ever, they helped create indie and britpop and they are Indie gods!

Have you ever read mainpage?

No shortage of sad anonymous people who keep bitching about Morrissey and The Smiths.

Fame, fame, fatal fame
It can play hidious tricks on the brain...

Agrees with Kewps,

also Iposted this earlier in the strange/unexpected thread. :)

Oh well, it's a topic now and everything gets posted there, so I thought I'd make a thread since nobody else had and for people that never go on the other threads.

Oh well, it's a topic now and everything gets posted there, so I thought I'd make a thread since nobody else had and for people that never go on the other threads.

I wasnt knocking it, im pleased someone else spotted it,
besides, i;d say that Marmite is important enough to have its own thread. :thumb:

I wasnt knocking it, im pleased someone else spotted it,
besides, i;d say that Marmite is important enough to have its own thread. :thumb:

Very true. :thumb:

No matter what, The Smiths and Morrissey in general will always have their harsh detractors. I think that's actually one of my favourite things about the music and the whole culture built around it: it's powerful enough to polarise opinion.

Sorry Lottie, I didn't know why I suddenly got offensive then :(
To be honest, I don't think The Smiths could ever be "Marmite" properly because the band is just deemed as an Indie classic. People who think The Smiths are overated are very wrong though because when have they ever be deemed as good as Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Who etc?

How can anyone possible HATE The Smiths??? It's emotionally, mentally and physically impossible! They're probably the most FAMOUS alternative rock band ever, they helped create indie and britpop and they are Indie gods!

It's sad but true, but I've come across loads of people in my time who hate The Smiths. In fact, two of my friends who I happen to think have brilliant taste in music, both hate The Smiths. One of them says that they just don't "get" them, and the other says that The Smiths are "all right" but they should have gotten a different lead singer because Morrissey is awful. And there you have two of the three only reasons people ever seem to give for disliking The Smiths:

1) "I don't get them"
2) Dislike of Morrissey's voice or personality (or both)
and, of course, 3) "They're depressing"

Last edited:
I don't think The Smiths are depressing...Are This Charming Man, Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others, Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before depressing? It's just because they haven't listened to any of The Smiths properly and I don't understand why people say "I don't get them"...What don't you get? And thirdly (as I rant), just because Morrissey's voice and lyrics are a bit unqiue makes the band different...or they'd be another boring Echo and the Bunnymen, which are biggest yawn known to man.

I worked with a guy who detested The Smiths,really hated em.We used to bring our own CDs for the night shift,God I had to listen to some shit-try listening to Embrace for 2 hours.
I brought "The Very Best of the Smiths" just to annoy him.
The others loved it,he was going mental:lbf:

He was a UB40 fan by the way

Last edited:
I don't think The Smiths are depressing...Are This Charming Man, Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others, Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before depressing? It's just because they haven't listened to any of The Smiths properly and I don't understand why people say "I don't get them"...What don't you get? And thirdly (as I rant), just because Morrissey's voice and lyrics are a bit unqiue makes the band different...or they'd be another boring Echo and the Bunnymen, which are biggest yawn known to man.

I think some people just don't get it, particularly in the case of Morrissey- many people find it difficult to accept or listen to something that's even a bit unique or subversive. What seems depressing and morose to some people is absolute genius and comfort to us. Also, the 'depressing' and 'miserable' labels have been used so frequently now with regard to The Smiths and Morrissey that I think many people just accept that, without actually listening to the music.

I agree with you, they are prejudice and have no right to say they are depressing. They probably just have "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" on a constant loop and that's all they know as The Smiths as!

I think some people just don't get it, particularly in the case of Morrissey- many people find it difficult to accept or listen to something that's even a bit unique or subversive. What seems depressing and morose to some people is absolute genius and comfort to us. Also, the 'depressing' and 'miserable' labels have been used so frequently now with regard to The Smiths and Morrissey that I think many people just accept that, without actually listening to the music.

Well said.

Have you ever read mainpage?

No shortage of sad anonymous people who keep bitching about Morrissey and The Smiths.

Fame, fame, fatal fame
It can play hidious tricks on the brain...

I love those people. Nothing going on in their life. At all.

How can you possibly say no to Johnny Marr's guitar riffs and Andy Rouke's Bass lines too?

How can you possibly say no to Johnny Marr's guitar riffs and Andy Rouke's Bass lines too?

I don't know anyone who says no to that, but I know a lot of people who say no to Morrissey's voice/attitude/repetitive lyrical themes.

Back
Top Bottom