The Sunday Times: "Morrissey’s big mouth is a thorn in the side of his admirers" (July 16, 2023)

Morrissey’s big mouth is a thorn in the side of his admirers​

Former Smiths singer’s ‘flirtation’ with the hard right has led some fans to avoid his Vicar Street gigs

Morrissey, 64, and now a solo artist, plays two concerts at Vicar Street in Dublin this weekend

Morrissey, 64, and now a solo artist, plays two concerts at Vicar Street in Dublin this weekend
JIM DYSON/GETTY IMAGES
Patrick O’Donoghue
Sunday July 16 2023, 12.01am, The Sunday Times

This charming man? Morrissey is back in town but his apparent hard-right political leanings have some Irish fans wondering if they can separate art from the artist. In a recent interview the star said the suggestion that he had hard-right views was “ludicrous”.

The former lead singer of the Smiths, now a successful solo artist, is in Dublin this weekend to play two sold-out gigs at Vicar Street to mark his 40 years in the music industry.

Morrissey, 64, is the son of working-class Irish Catholic emigrants who left Crumlin, Dublin, to settle in Manchester in the 1950s. A cousin of the former Ireland footballer Robbie Keane, he enjoys an affinity with Irish audiences — but his perceived flirtation with the hard right has led some fans to shun his shows.

He is without a recording deal after parting company with Capitol Records. Two albums, Bonfire of Teenagers and Without Music the World Dies, remain unreleased. Notre Dame, a song he has performed on stage in the past few weeks, led to online criticism because the lyrics appear to cast doubt on the official account of the cause of the 2019 blaze at the cathedral in Paris.
The fire has been the subject of conspiracy theories propagated by alt-right supporters, some of whom blame Islamic extremists. In a rendition of the song on YouTube, in which he holds up rosary beads, Morrissey sings: “Notre Dame, we know who tried to kill you . . . Notre Dame, we will not be silent. Before investigations, they said, ‘This is not terrorism!’” While Morrissey’s anti-royal and anti-Thatcher convictions won plaudits from sections of the Irish public early in his career, he has set many former acolytes against him by wearing the badge of the now-defunct For Britain party and supporting Anne Marie Waters, the hard-right, anti-Islam activist who led it. Separately he has expressed admiration for Nigel Farage, the former leader of Ukip and the nationalist Brexit Party.

“I was very surprised the other day — it was very interesting to me — to see Anne Marie Waters become head of Ukip. Oh no, sorry she didn’t. The voting was rigged. Sorry, I forgot . . . You didn’t get it, did you? You obviously don’t read the news,” he said in a live set on BBC Radio 6 Music in 2017, a comment that was met with bewildered silence by the audience.

Three years later, as the coronavirus pandemic took hold, Morrissey appeared at a London show against a backdrop of digitally altered images of his own album cover wearing a superimposed facemask next to the caption “You are the Quarantined”, a play on the album title You Are the Quarry which reached number two in the UK charts in 2004.

This year footage emerged of Morrissey appearing to berate a flight attendant on a plane to Dublin by clapping sarcastically and speaking over announcements after the aircraft was diverted to Shannon because of thunderstorms. He demanded to speak to the captain and to be let off the plane.

Michael O’Brien, a 47-year-old trade unionist from Dublin, said he now boycotted Morrissey gigs despite having followed his career for decades. He said the singer’s flirtation with hard-right ideology was a disappointment and seeing Morrissey live in America with the For Britain badge was “beyond the pale”.

“I love the music but not the musician, and I’m not going to Vicar Street,” O’Brien said. “I have thought about it a lot. My take on it is that the common thread with Morrissey is that he is a nostalgist, and the nostalgia did have a progressive left tint to it, in particular when he was with the Smiths: a kind of Coronation Street-style nostalgia for working-class life.

“But it has mutated into a different kind of nostalgia where he is uncomfortable with the multicultural direction in which British society went. That is the only way I can make sense of it.”

However, Jane Gaffney, a 24-year-old PhD student, said while she found some of Morrissey’s pronouncements “confusing or disappointing”, her love for him was unaffected. She began listening to his music at 14. “If people don’t love Morrissey they usually hate him. I get a lot of stick for it.”

She said Morrissey’s politics needed to be put into perspective. “There is a difference between saying things and doing things.”

Gaffney secured tickets for both Vicar Street gigs, marking her ninth and tenth times at a Morrissey concert. “He has something that goes beyond music almost,” she said.

Brian Ahern, 53, a civil servant, said he was aware of troubling remarks made by Morrissey but tried to “separate art from artist”.

“I always just go back to music. I like the songs, I like the music and how it inspires you. He is a good wordsmith. I know there is controversy but I really try not to go into that. He is a poet, that’s first and foremost for me.” Morrissey’s “rebellious spirit” was one of the main reasons he continued to be so popular with Irish audiences, Ahern said.

Elizabeth Dwyer, Morrissey’s mother and “best friend”, died in 2020. A holiday home he had bought for her in Cobh, Co Cork, sold for €575,000 this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of it comes down to so many people growing up as pampered ego-maniacs whose opinions are so important it rocks their mini-verse to meet anyone who disagrees or doesn't care what they think. Indulgent idiot parents are to blame.
....like Morrissey himself? Sorry, but this is exactly how he behaves these days.

so many behave this way. But not many have their livelihood threatened by it, the gang mentality that’s prevalent online, which some refuse to adapt to… fortunately? unfortunately?

Though his choices (making his views public) have to some extent been detrimental, it’s those same choices that he’s always worn as a badge of honor, plus it gives him more to complain about, lol.

so many behave this way. But not many have their livelihood threatened by it, the gang mentality that’s prevalent online, which some refuse to adapt to… fortunately? unfortunately?

Though his choices (making his views public) have to some extent been detrimental, it’s those same choices that he’s always worn as a badge of honor, plus it gives him more to complain about, lol.

And yet, he is selling out tour stops and has multiple records (World Peace and Without Music The World Dies, at minimum) ready and waiting for a record company to re-release and release respectively, so it's hard to see that his livelihood is threatened by it. As many others have stated, he could self-release etc. i'd also love a "Blue Dreamers Eyes" single. A gorgeous, funny, charmer of a tune.

He could even take a bit of a page from Taylor Swift's book and do an entire album performance of BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS (Capitol Sucks Version) to turn the pressure up for a full official release of the studio version, and in the meantime, he'll at least have presented live tracks of the album he feels is held captive, of views he feels are censored. To my knowledge, he's never done full album concerts- and this would be an excellent way to showcase the vigor so many find resonant in Bonfire

If he wants to have the major label record company fetting he thinks he deserves, then it's on him to figure out whatever metrics he has to hit to substantiate that fetting to them

Nice. Doris Day tune. I just re-listened to Californa Son(a real jem) and the Back Half of Low In High School this morning. I'll always be interested in what Morrissey has to offer, but I don't believe in unconditional love, in fawning for Morrissey or any other artist

And yet, he is selling out tour stops and has multiple records (World Peace and Without Music The World Dies, at minimum) ready and waiting for a record company to re-release and release respectively, so it's hard to see that his livelihood is threatened by it. As many others have stated, he could self-release etc. i'd also love a "Blue Dreamers Eyes" single. A gorgeous, funny, charmer of a tune.

He could even take a bit of a page from Taylor Swift's book and do an entire album performance of BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS (Capitol Sucks Version) to turn the pressure up for a full official release of the studio version, and in the meantime, he'll at least have presented live tracks of the album he feels is held captive, of views he feels are censored. To my knowledge, he's never done full album concerts- and this would be an excellent way to showcase the vigor so many find resonant in Bonfire

If he wants to have the major label record company fetting he thinks he deserves, then it's on him to figure out whatever metrics he has to hit to substantiate that fetting to them

Nice. Doris Day tune. I just re-listened to Californa Son(a real jem) and the Back Half of Low In High School this morning. I'll always be interested in what Morrissey has to offer, but I don't believe in unconditional love, in fawning for Morrissey or any other artist

Yes, he could do much more than he does - e.g., play BOT in its entirety live - but he doesn't. For all the talk of Morrissey "not playing the game" - I think that's exactly what he wants to do - play the very old game of being wined and dined by a major record company (just entirely on his terms). I think the Morrissey that a lot of us thought he was would be trail-blazing, self-releasing, etc.

ok maybe ‘threatened’ was a bit of an exaggeration in this case. But it seems the criticisms don’t help him have much leverage in negotiating a record contract in his favor, which is what I mean.
Don’t know ‘bout Swift. But yeah, I mentioned
before he may benefit from doing just that.
Makes sense, but we’re talking about Morrissey here. I think we all know, he believes that just being his difficult yet genuine self should be enough to deserve that feting. In a better world there shouldn’t be a problem.

oh I agree. And never accused you of such.

Edit: But I do believe we should draw the line and either accept someone or just move on. Anything else is simply illogical.

Last edited:
Yes, he could do much more than he does - e.g., play BOT in its entirety live - but he doesn't. For all the talk of Morrissey "not playing the game" - I think that's exactly what he wants to do - play the very old game of being wined and dined by a major record company (just entirely on his terms). I think the Morrissey that a lot of us thought he was would be trail-blazing, self-releasing, etc.

Yes he still wants them to play his game, is what is meant by …
"not playing the game"

but agree of course with the self-releasing comment, especially with the state of online culture these days.

It isn’t at all? What makes you think he can’t deal with people not thinking the way he does?

How about the way he cancels a sold out show after getting heckled. He did the exact same thing in the US.

How about the way he cancels a sold out show after getting heckled. He did the exact same thing in the US.
I’d say that’s very different.
Are you talking about the Nottingham cancellation? We have no idea if heckling had anything to do with that.

I think a lot of it comes down to so many people growing up as pampered ego-maniacs whose opinions are so important it rocks their mini-verse to meet anyone who disagrees or doesn't care what they think. Indulgent idiot parents are to blame.
I think it runs deeper than that.
The purpose of this bullying of how people think is to 'herd' the public.
Let's translate this article into plain English:

Morrissey is not a 'good' person.
You want to be a 'good' person, don't you?
Well, in order to be a 'good' person you are not allowed to question what started the Notre Dame fire; you are not allowed to question the benefits of mass immigration; you are not allowed to question whether covid lockdowns were needed...

The list goes on.
And Moz, of course, simply refuses to be 'herded' in this way.
As we all should.

Listen to yourself. You sound like Adolf Hitler talking about the Jews. Like Robespierre talking about the counter-revolutionaries. Like Pol Pot talking about the capitalist running dogs. That mentality - the burning desire of doing 'good' - is responsible for more deaths in the history of the world than any war or pestilence. The only demarcation line in politics that means anything - is between those who believe in the freedom of the individual, and those who do not. And that cuts across any notion of 'left' and 'right'.

Listen to yourself. You sound like Adolf Hitler talking about the Jews. Like Robespierre talking about the counter-revolutionaries. Like Pol Pot talking about the capitalist running dogs. That mentality - the burning desire of doing 'good' - is responsible for more deaths in the history of the world than any war or pestilence. The only demarcation line in politics that means anything - is between those who believe in the freedom of the individual, and those who do not. And that cuts across any notion of 'left' and 'right'.

Not that I disagree, but had the Nazis eradicated the Jews, they would have been finished with them. It's not like they had to keep up with the market for lampshades made of human skin. The Nazis didn't intend to keep the Jews in the camps to breed future generations of Jews in order to torture, kill, and eat them. So while there are intolerant people who want to eradicate their ideological enemies, there are people who are, in principle, even worse.

A hodge podge re-raking of old news and they call it 'journalism'? That Michael O'Brien sounds like a pathetic piss-spraying twat. It beggars belief why an artist needs to share the EXACT same views and opinions as his fans. Besides, Moz was right about some of the things he said about quarantine. We were enslaved. We were treated like prisoners while law makers had their parties and felt each other up and down the garden.

Why is Michael O'Briens little snowflake opinion important anyway? I don't see 'journalists' asking me why I don't go to Garth Brooks concerts.

Vicar Street looked plenty packef to me on Sat night. I bet the 'journalist' wasn't even there. So what's the point of his hamfisted festering fraudulent hatchet piece?
"That Michael O'Brien sounds like a pathetic piss-spraying twat."

Laughed so hard my coffee came out of my nose! Well done sir!

Back
Top Bottom