Tour Etiquette

Man, I went to the Hammerstein shows, and even in Philly last tour I was so surprised by a subset of Moz fans I wasn't accustomed to...the drunken frat boys!!! I'm not sure if they accidentally ended up there looking for Dave Matthews or what, but it made for some severe unpleasantness, and I was one of the few to stand up to these boys. I was within the first few rows away from the stage and having to battle these drunk and stoned idiots was really annoying. Although, even with these dudes, in terms of getting "squished," that's not really much of an issue until the encore when things get pleasantly really rough! It's one of the greatest parts of the experience IMHO.

And definitely be prepared for people singing really loudly, possibly ruining the show for you. This is a debated issue with many people not being bothered by this. To me, it's REALLY annoying. Sing, sure, but so loudly as to drown out Morrissey is just absurd. I stood next to this guy at Hammerstein who was about 6' 2", thin as a rail had bleach blond hair with a pompadour twice the size Morrissey ever had, and this guy sang SOOO loudly and so off key and had his eyes closed through most of the show for whatever reason. I described the guy just in case he's on these boards he can maybe tone it down a bit ;) But, that said, it still is going to happen. Oh well!

Either way, you're going to have a great time! :guitar:

Man, I went to the Hammerstein shows, and even in Philly last tour I was so surprised by a subset of Moz fans I wasn't accustomed to...the drunken frat boys!!! I'm not sure if they accidentally ended up there looking for Dave Matthews or what, but it made for some severe unpleasantness, and I was one of the few to stand up to these boys. I was within the first few rows away from the stage and having to battle these drunk and stoned idiots was really annoying. Although, even with these dudes, in terms of getting "squished," that's not really much of an issue until the encore when things get pleasantly really rough! It's one of the greatest parts of the experience IMHO.

And definitely be prepared for people singing really loudly, possibly ruining the show for you. This is a debated issue with many people not being bothered by this. To me, it's REALLY annoying. Sing, sure, but so loudly as to drown out Morrissey is just absurd. I stood next to this guy at Hammerstein who was about 6' 2", thin as a rail had bleach blond hair with a pompadour twice the size Morrissey ever had, and this guy sang SOOO loudly and so off key and had his eyes closed through most of the show for whatever reason. I described the guy just in case he's on these boards he can maybe tone it down a bit ;) But, that said, it still is going to happen. Oh well!

Either way, you're going to have a great time! :guitar:

haha you're so right!! the one night i was further in the back, and this drunk frat boy looking guy was turned completely around, facing me, not the stage and singing the songs! (so he was obviously a fan to some degree). and it was so weird, haha, i was like "uhh hey dude....the stage is THAT way...." i think he attempted to dance wtih me and i finally had to move away

oh and this was at one of the Hammerstein shows, btw

Re: alcohol intake

I wasn't suggesting that you need to get plastered, but a couple of drinks makes most any show more enjoyable, IMHO. Being too drunk means you won't remember much about the show and that defeats the purpose.

I'm pretty much convinced that drunken frat boys ruin everything in life.

haha you're so right!! the one night i was further in the back, and this drunk frat boy looking guy was turned completely around, facing me, not the stage and singing the songs! (so he was obviously a fan to some degree). and it was so weird, haha, i was like "uhh hey dude....the stage is THAT way...." i think he attempted to dance wtih me and i finally had to move away

Re: alcohol intake

I wasn't suggesting that you need to get plastered, but a couple of drinks makes most any show more enjoyable, IMHO. Being too drunk means you won't remember much about the show and that defeats the purpose.

im the same way. and i dont like when people who dont drink automatically equate drinking with "not remembering anything the next morning." the only Moz show the last time around I didnt drink for was the one where i queued all day to get front row. i dont get wasted at shows, i get a nice buzz on and then i get wasted AFTER the show. ;)

you might be right

At one of the London shows last year I had some drunk guy try to lift me up and throw me over the guard rail..

You kids today! etc...etc...

Don't be so mard! (That's a Manc saying for "soft" btw :) )

You've not been to a gig unless you've been squished, piss bottles thrown all over the show, lost something (phone/cigs/money/person you went with in the first place)....

Go and bloody enjoy yourselves, remember why YOU are there and stop fretting about everyone else around you. Sharp elbows come in very handy in these situations, I find :)

Oh yeah..I also can't stand when people who are ten rows back think that if they stretch hard enough they can reach Morrissey's hand thereby crushing everyone in front of them.

oh another nice gesture would be to not hold your GF or BF the whole time while you are upfront. not that i care that your in love but the guys that are holding their GF's from behind and "protecting" seem to get this macho attitude and get real annoying.

agreed!

seriously, there are alot of big jock looking dudes that seem to go to moz shows and just act all tough an get pissed if you even bump into them..um hello idiot, you are at a LIVE concert LIVE music. dont try to start something with me cause someone bumped me an then i bumped you.

So, a Moz concert is like any concert, except with Morrissey. Great!

I see I made a good choice asking Morrissey fans about tour etiquette instead of them pretentious electronica fans. Thanks for all the great answers.

So, I bought a super-expensive ticket from Sinister-Master that said explicitly "FLOOR". Now, I've been to the venue before, there's some balcony seats, tables along the side, and regular audience space along with some room along the stage. Are all of the audience members just going to pack in along the stage? All of the other tickets just said "General Admission" so... is there any priority? Whaddya think? Did I get gypped? The Variety seems pretty lax, but still fairly efficient.

Oh, and only_me, I'm a small girl too, and I've found that the plus side to it is that you're able to fit in the gaps. Stage-front can be a cinch if you're sneaky, but one has to be willing to get toes trod, if proper footwear isn't worn.

So, a Moz concert is like any concert, except with Morrissey. Great!

I see I made a good choice asking Morrissey fans about tour etiquette instead of them pretentious electronica fans. Thanks for all the great answers.

So, I bought a super-expensive ticket from Sinister-Master that said explicitly "FLOOR". Now, I've been to the venue before, there's some balcony seats, tables along the side, and regular audience space along with some room along the stage. Are all of the audience members just going to pack in along the stage? All of the other tickets just said "General Admission" so... is there any priority? Whaddya think? Did I get gypped? The Variety seems pretty lax, but still fairly efficient.

Oh, and only_me, I'm a small girl too, and I've found that the plus side to it is that you're able to fit in the gaps. Stage-front can be a cinch if you're sneaky, but one has to be willing to get toes trod, if proper footwear isn't worn.

pretty sure Floor and GA mean the same thing. anyone with those tickets will all get as close to the stage as possible, yes. as other people said if youre lookin to get FRONT row, you gotta be there hours and hours ahead of time. but you could still get fairly close if you get there when the doors open too. its just that if youre gonna be up front, getting the rail is best so you can get handshakes and possibly make it on stage and stuff like that. but if you dont care about that, just get there when the doors open.

Have a good time @ your first Moz show, enjoy it. DO NOT do these things while attending:

1) Cut infront of someone else in line, who's probably been waiting there for an eternity. If you do, do not have some lame ass excuse as to why you need to "cut in line"(not that you will when I'm in line, but ok).

2) Do not be a dick to other fans, I cannot stress this enough. We're all there for the same f***ing reason, so why be a douche about it? talk to others in line, be friendly, you're not above anyone else.

3) Do not: stage dive, try to kick me or others, try to jump on my back(or anyone else's), push me, or scream in my ear, to try to get Morrissey's "attention". He knows we're there to see HIM, not YOU. In other words, don't be an ass.

4) Do not: try to go on stage to touch Morrissey, no matter how "harmless" it seems, why? big dude(his bodyguard) will choke slame you, or punt you like a rag doll off the stage, which isn't cool. But, I guess he feels he can do it.

Thats about all for now.

douchebag2dq2.jpg

how could you say no?

I have never been to a Morrissey concert (and I can't wait to see my 1st in Ann Arbor, MI 3/31). I have been to over 70 concerts though. Everything from Slayer/Death Metal to Siouxsie Sioux or Skinny Puppy. And from Giant Stadiums to small intimate venues.

My advice
1) It is OK to have some drink and such before the show, but don't get trashed.
2) Enjoy yourself, don't let anyone bother you or your enjoyment of the show.
3) Don't look for trouble or start trouble. Remember just about everyone there also paid money to be there and want to enjoy the show like you.
4) Try to dress for the temperature of the venue, which is not always easy to do. If it is very cold outside then you need to wear clothes to stay warm outside but then you get inside and you sweat your ass off. A lot of places don't have coat check. Keeping your hands (gloves) and head/ears warm (hat) outside allows me to wear less clothes on my body waiting in line.
5) If you are going to a big venue with friends, set a meeting point for after the show if you end up separated which is easy if you are in a very crowded gen admission.

I hope this helps and I am looking forward to seeing Morrissey!!!

Or..Get pissed bump into everyone, sweat like a c*** sing your arse off and kiss the security, before offending some wanker who want's a pleasant time.

not that i care too much, but would you guys care to expand on this?

it's just not done. oddly enough he seems perfectly willing to sign autographs while he's eating dinner or visiting his mother, but after a show he wraps himself in towels and runs straight to the bus.

has anyone heard of Moz signing anything or even waving at someone post-show?

4) Do not: try to go on stage to touch Morrissey, no matter how "harmless" it seems, why? big dude(his bodyguard) will choke slame you, or punt you like a rag doll off the stage, which isn't cool. But, I guess he feels he can do it.

I wouldn't fully agree with this. You have to weigh the value you will derive if you make it up and hug him vs how bummed you'd be if you get tossed out of the show. I think generally people who make it onstage are NOT tossed out but are sent back into the audience, although I've read some stories here about people who were kicked to the curb. Personally I wouldn't try to be the first person who gets on stage. Better to let someone else have a go and see how they are handled. (It will vary by the venue.) Also, I think women are treated less brutally by the bouncers than are guys.

IMHO, I think Moz enjoys the stage invasions, as long as the people who make it up come at him with a hug and not a flying tackle.

For a visual "what not to do" see this:
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=07/10/04/1649214&tid=1

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom