TTY statement: Hammersmith last ever UK gigs?!

Devious, truculent and unreliable ! Nothing changes really.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Thankfully Morrissey and I live in the same city. Yes California will gladly sell out his gigs in 10 seconds over and over. Why should he waste his time with you Brits, Euros, South Americans, and terrorists in East Euro and the Middle East? Playing in half empty warehouses and hotel lobbies? Do you people ever wonder why he never plays in his hometown "Manc". Wake up.

The Hillbilly Redneck "royalty" family is really pissing him off to no avail too.

See you at Amalfi and I don't care if Sammy wants to tag along with his Iphone. Anonymous-

You clearly know nothing about Manchester gigs. He has no problem selling here. The last time he played the huge Arena they had a handful of tickets in the rafters that they couldn't shift, but it was the weekend of the year when most people here are away on their holidays.

Except your posts.

At least only The UK is mentioned, so i really hope this is not going to be his last European tour. Anyway, he can't find a label and he probably feels like his own country has turned its back on him...Without new releases he can't just play his old songs over and over again, but it's clear that with the uk is a very personal thing, even if he has a huge fanbase there. I really hope he's not going to retire. I'm surprised to read here that the ticket sales have been poor in the uk, Moz clearly feels resentment.

So long Morrissey. As ever you treat fans in a shocking manner. You now state that you can generate no UK record label interest and your response is to punish UK fans. I think you will find you have been unable to generate any record label interest globally so why are you continuing to tour other countries. I hope that when you inevitably return to the UK to tour that fans vote with their feet and do not buy tickets. Question? Just what is stopping you self- releasing? Is that below you? You, once again, have disappointed. UK fans, those that wish to, should have had the opportunity of a farewell tour. If, in facr, this is the end?

Why should UK fans get special treatment? It's so arrogant, really. The times that the UK provided Moz' biggest fanbase are long over. They pissed and moaned constantly about everything and still do. Oh Moz went to f***ing L.A., he is no longer one of us. Oh Moz has other interests than UK culture, he is no longer interesting. Oh we were there since the early days so everything after that is crap but please play in the UK before any other country anyway.

At least only The UK is mentioned, so i really hope this is not going to be his last European tour. Anyway, he can't find a label and he probably feels like his own country has turned its back on him...Without new releases he can't just play his old songs over and over again, but it's clear that with the uk is a very personal thing, even if he has a huge fanbase there. I really hope he's not going to retire. I'm surprised to read here that the ticket sales have been poor in the uk, Moz clearly feels resentment.

One gig was not full (Plymouth) and suddenly it's the whole UK. Tipical. Hull is sold out ( and was already before this statement) . London first night is sold out (can't find any tickets on Ticketmaster). For the second I believe there are still tickets.

Argentina sold in a couple of hours and a second date was added. Somehow I don't think this is about tickets sales. Maybe he was Negotiating a record deal that didn't happen and is frustrated, who knows.

The baby has thrown his toys out of the pram, again. Ticket sales for this tour have been poor by Morrissey standards. Why is this? Could it be:

That he has long since given up as a live performer. The last few years have been little more than a charade of his glorious live performances.
Ticket prices are always expensive - always. He stays on stage for only one hour - most other band play a good deal longer.
He toured the area he describes as the UK in March?
His set list choices always leave a lot to be desired. How we have yearned, over the years, for him to plunder that wonderful back catalogue but no. The same old same old.

As for record label interest .....
He cannot have any interest in releasing new material. There is no barrier to him doing this. He could easily set up his own label where he will be in full control of his musical output and out with the music industry he claims to dislike but craves to be a part of.

I believe this announcement nothing more than a cynical ploy to sell-out the Eventim. Yes, tickets are still available. Or, to generate publicity for the novel.

Regardless of the reason Morrissey PLEASE hold to your decision and never play live in England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland or Northern Ireland ever again. As far as I, and other are concerned (hence dwindling ticket sales), you haven't played live in these areas for a very, very long time.

Enjoy you self-imposed live-exile and possible retirement. No doubt you'll be on a 'UK' stage soon but before that let's have that new album.

I, and most likely my comments, will be disliked but type and send this I must.

Don't you dare speak for his entire UK fanbase. Morrissey will always be welcomed here with arms wide open. ALWAYS.
See you Sunday & Monday Moz x

So he plays London. Then onto Paris. Where a certain musical legend who Morrissey loves will be playing. In his 90's.

I disagree about the setlist but everything else is p much on point.

One gig was not full (Plymouth) and suddenly it's the whole UK. Tipical. Hull is sold out ( and was already before this statement) . London first night is sold out (can't find any tickets on Ticketmaster). For the second I believe there are still tickets.

Argentina sold in a couple of hours and a second date was added. Somehow I don't think this is about tickets sales. Maybe he was Negotiating a record deal that didn't happen and is frustrated, who knows.
I can imagine the frustration of being without a record deal and i can't blame him, but at the same time his fans have no fault, this is a revenge that they don't deserve in my opinion.

Out of interest, does anyone know if he has said before that a UK show is his last (falsely?)?

Looking at this objectively how many 56 year olds get new record deals apart from those who can shift millions in merchandise, gig tickets etc. Especially those with limited audiences?

Even if he doesn't tour the UK again I imagine he will still play live and would do a one-off/ residency in Manchester in 2019.

Ultimately exorbitant ticket prices, no support acts, a record industry that has changed irrevocably, a demise in the quality of songwriting and Morrissey (rightfully) fleeing aghast from his status as a National Treasure with bizarre bitter statements have led to this impasse.

I don't get it... everyone says bands don't make money from recordings anymore and that touring is the way to generate income. Moz has no record-deal so why then would he give up touring? And why only in the UK?

This move is already generating publicity. He also has his first novel waiting to be released. Coincidence?!

This move is already generating publicity. He also has his first novel waiting to be released. Coincidence?!

So you are saying that some people read that he retires and therefore will directly go to amazon and order his novel? I don't see that happen, tbh. The only thing I thought was "Bowie, Hammersmith, 1973".

The baby has thrown his toys out of the pram, again. Ticket sales for this tour have been poor by Morrissey standards. Why is this? Could it be:

That he has long since given up as a live performer. The last few years have been little more than a charade of his glorious live performances.
Ticket prices are always expensive - always. He stays on stage for only one hour - most other band play a good deal longer.
He toured the area he describes as the UK in March?
His set list choices always leave a lot to be desired. How we have yearned, over the years, for him to plunder that wonderful back catalogue but no. The same old same old.

As for record label interest .....
He cannot have any interest in releasing new material. There is no barrier to him doing this. He could easily set up his own label where he will be in full control of his musical output and out with the music industry he claims to dislike but craves to be a part of.

I believe this announcement nothing more than a cynical ploy to sell-out the Eventim. Yes, tickets are still available. Or, to generate publicity for the novel.

Regardless of the reason Morrissey PLEASE hold to your decision and never play live in England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland or Northern Ireland ever again. As far as I, and other are concerned (hence dwindling ticket sales), you haven't played live in these areas for a very, very long time.

Enjoy you self-imposed live-exile and possible retirement. No doubt you'll be on a 'UK' stage soon but before that let's have that new album.

I, and most likely my comments, will be disliked but type and send this I must.

Sigh. Ireland is not part of the U.K. therefore we are exempt *remains hopeful*

As if a drama queen like Morrissey wouldn't do a whole pre-announced "Retirement Tour" (like Sinatra), ending up in Manchester.

The key phrase in the report is "likely to be" which has a very different meaning to "will definitely be"...

Touring *is* a cash cow, from ticket sales and merch alike. Hull has been sold out for ages. Ditto first night at Hammersmith. Second night at Hammersmith has about 20 Circle tickets left on the venue website. If touts/secondary ticketing agencies still have vast quantities unsold (I haven't checked), that surely is down to their massively inflated prices. Plymouth seems like a weird aberration - maybe the interest was low because he'd played there quite recently?

Anyone else think this was planned before?

If anyone remembers the London Palladium was where Ziggy Stardust announced his retirement...

But I genuinely think this could very well be the end. Thanks for the fantastic memories Moz.

Back
Top Bottom