Unreleased Smiths ?

D

DAVIE

Marr has said in the past that almost all the material he wrote was released.
It semeed a bit of an untruth when Joyce played "Fast One" on the radio and there's been several instrumentals such as "I Misses You" and "Heavy Track" which is available for everyone to hear. I would put a £10 bet that Mike Joyce has many other rare Smiths songs hidden in his music library.

Does anybody know of any other rare tracks that exist? What would you like to be seen leaked or officially released?

It semeed a bit of an untruth when Joyce played "Fast One" on the radio and there's been several instrumentals such as "I Misses You" and "Heavy Track" which is available for everyone to hear. I would put a £10 bet that Mike Joyce has many other rare Smiths songs hidden in his music library.

Does anybody know of any other rare tracks that exist? What would you like to be seen leaked or officially released?

I'm pretty sure it's all out there, apart from perhaps the Amanda Malone stuff. Morrissey once joked about an unreleased version of Baby It's Cold Outside, and then there's the Ivor Perry sessions, (Bengalis In Platforms, untitled song) - I think that's all. Oh, and the fabled Don't Blow Your Own Horn, I Want a Boy For My Birthday (was going to be first single, so it's said) and A Matter Of Opinion. And countless originals. There's a really great soundcheck version of a song that's half Panic and half Sheila Take A Bow, that is unlike anything they recorded, but they obviously meant to.

P.

Last edited:
Thanks Peter :)

I also wonder if there's more professional bootlegs out there? For example, what source was "What's The World?" taken from when it was released on Sound Of The Smiths? Is there a professional bootleg of (The Barrowlands, Glasgow 25/9/85)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched some clip with Joyce and he had a box full of cassette tapes (looked like 15 or so); that he'd love for people to hear, but he can't since everyone would sue the shit out of him.

The Unreleased Demos & Instrumentals boot is probably whatever the compiler thought the best of the demos from that era were. Every other song had to be demoed too, right? Who has those tapes?

Who has those tapes?

Who knows...I can assume Marr may have these demos too. I doubt Morrissey and Rourke has. I don't understand why the rest of The Smiths would not want to release other demos. There's plenty of other Smiths demos that have already been leaked and things are still getting leaked. Who would have thought Wolverhampton 88 would have leaked this year?

Wouldn't it be great to hear demos of the Strangeways sessions? I was thinking about it all morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched some clip with Joyce and he had a box full of cassette tapes (looked like 15 or so); that he'd love for people to hear, but he can't since everyone would sue the shit out of him.

The Unreleased Demos & Instrumentals boot is probably whatever the compiler thought the best of the demos from that era were. Every other song had to be demoed too, right? Who has those tapes?

That bootleg was all sourced from a two CD sampler of demos that Warner had considered releasing on one of the anniversaries of TQID.

There is a Girl Afraid with an alternate intro...actually maybe two; one that's a vocal snippet of "I'll never make that mistake again" and one where the guitar intro is played on piano.

There's also a radically different mix (take?) of Shakespeare's Sister.

Both the Goddard books are essential reading if you are into this stuff, Davie.

There is a Girl Afraid with an alternate intro...actually maybe two; one that's a vocal snippet of "I'll never make that mistake again" and one where the guitar intro is played on piano.

There's also a radically different mix (take?) of Shakespeare's Sister.

Both the Goddard books are essential reading if you are into this stuff, Davie.

Thanks Skylarker, the alternative Girl Afraid sounds really interesting. Yes, I bought a Goddard book recently and it's about time I read it at some stage

Back
Top Bottom