Viva Hate UK Promotion Box

Jukebox Jury

Retired
I saw this in a record shop in Philadelphia today.
The description below is from Passions just like mine and the set was complete as described.
I was asked to 'make an offer' but declined! Anyone any ideas as to the value?

Promotion:
UK: This album was promoted with a boxset (EMI 856325-2; view in left frame) containing 2 press photos, a press release, a "Suedehead" cassette single and a four-track cd sampler. The latter sampler is numbered VHPRO1, it was also sent on its own to some radio stations. Early promotion of the album in that country was also done with the help of an advance cassette paired with a HMV press release. Later, stock LPs were distributed with a press release and stock cds were distributed with a 'MANUFACTURERS PROPERTY, NOT FOR SALE' sticker on the back.

Jukebox Jury

Morrissey Madness has it at £150, so I'd offer 'em $100 & see how it goes?

love

Grim
P.s. don't bother to send a postcard, the posties are on strike!

I saw this in a record shop in Philadelphia today.
The description below is from Passions just like mine and the set was complete as described.
I was asked to 'make an offer' but declined! Anyone any ideas as to the value?

Promotion:
UK: This album was promoted with a boxset (EMI 856325-2; view in left frame) containing 2 press photos, a press release, a "Suedehead" cassette single and a four-track cd sampler. The latter sampler is numbered VHPRO1, it was also sent on its own to some radio stations. Early promotion of the album in that country was also done with the help of an advance cassette paired with a HMV press release. Later, stock LPs were distributed with a press release and stock cds were distributed with a 'MANUFACTURERS PROPERTY, NOT FOR SALE' sticker on the back.

Jukebox Jury

Grim's correct, in fact EIL has 2, one for £150 (slight wear to box) and a better one for £180. But they can be notoriously over priced.

If the owner whats you to make an offer then start low and try your luck.

It's one of the items I'm missing and personally would probably pay upto £75 for a complete mint set.

Thanks - currently 150 pounds (there is no pound sign on this Yankee computer!) = $300 which is what he is after, it was in a good condition with all the pictures and press release.

Peter, I'll offer him $500, as you said, you'll pay me on my return ;):D

Grim, damn.... I did send you a postcard too!:mad:

Jukebox Jury

Thanks - currently 150 pounds (there is no pound sign on this Yankee computer!) = $300 which is what he is after, it was in a good condition with all the pictures and press release.

Peter, I'll offer him $500, as you said, you'll pay me on my return ;):D

Grim, damn.... I did send you a postcard too!:mad:

Jukebox Jury

Excellent. I mean it, honestly. Money on return.

Peter

As beautiful as these are, they're not worth much. I've seen them on eBay for $100. Make sure you get the watermarked press release, "His Masters Voice" promo cd, "Suedehead" cassette single, 2 8x10 glossies and a numbered box.

They did some of these out of Germany with the same box but unnumbered, no photos and the press release in German.

Thanks Beau
Yes it has the 'His Masters Voice' tag and not Viva Hate title, the press release and 2 pictures and was numbered too. (256 I think)

Jukebox Jury

Crazily enough, I was at a fair in L.A. (what could have been a decade ago) and the HMV cd itself brought $100. My how times have changed.

As beautiful as these are, they're not worth much. I've seen them on eBay for $100. Make sure you get the watermarked press release, "His Masters Voice" promo cd, "Suedehead" cassette single, 2 8x10 glossies and a numbered box.

They did some of these out of Germany with the same box but unnumbered, no photos and the press release in German.

and France and Holland. Dutch version is numbered but has no glossy photos. The copy does have a large B/W Viva Hate poster and press material in Dutch/English.

Yeah, that's the one. I just stopped in the store today and took a look at it. The CD and cassette are in mint shape, but the box is listed as VG because of a couple things: there's a 1.5" tear on the bottom edge near where the cassette fits in and the little ribbon that's used to help get the cassette out is unglued. But it looks great overall. I was surprised that it was still there after reading this thread, because it looks like UncleSkinny wanted it bad.

There was practically nothing else Smithsy left in the store. I asked the owner whether there'd been a run on it over the past few days, courtesy of certain unnamed British fans. :) I spent just $5 on a John Lennon bootleg 7".

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks hammered in the photos. Notice where a sticker or price tag has been poorly removed on the bottom left hand corner.

My personal advice to any collector is to hold out for the best condition of anything you wish to own. Newer collectors seem to disregard condition when factoring in value. Buy it once and buy it right. Cheaper in the long run than buying 1 in okay condition at a reduced price, then having to buy another one in better condition further along down the road.

Back
Top Bottom