What are people's favourite non-Morrissey albums at the moment?

Grace -- Jeff Buckley
Morning Glory/Definetly maybe --Oasis
white album -- beatles
the rise and fall of ziggy stardust and stuff - David Bowie
Doolitle -- Pixies
Aeroplane over the sea --neutral milk hotel
unknown pleasures --joy division
isn't anything -- My bloody valentine
california -- Mr Bungle
insoportablemente vivo -- La renga
zen arcade -- husker du
...Sinister -- Belle and my second name
siamese dream -- Smashing pumpkins
angel dust/the real thing -- faith no more
Herzeleid/Sehnsucht -- Rammstein
london calling --the clash
nevermind the bollocks --pistols
downward spiral --nin
holy bible - manics
stone roses -stone roses
funeral -- arcade fire

I've a few loaded in the car:

Victory For The Comic Muse - Divine Comedy
Anthology - Bread
Mystery White Boy - Jeff Buckley
Hacked Up For Barbecue - Mortician
Scum - Napalm Death
A Catholic Education - Teenage Fanclub

That should see me to Somerset and back tomorrow.

Best Wishes all,

Peter

I'm quite loving Guillemots' Through The Windowpane at the moment. Yes, I have my hangups about his tendency towards lyrical repetitiveness (Love mentioned 2,385 times, windows mentioned 72 times, trains mentioned 7 times...) and not-so-special voice, but with songs like "Sau Paulo", "Blue Would Still Be Blue" and "Made Up Love Song #43", I just can't resist.

The black Rider - Tom Waits
No More Shall We Part - Nick Cave

And two albums none of you have ever heard of:

Yes We Are a Swedish Balkan Band You Don't Have To Look Twice -Östblocket

Balk'N'Roll - Swing Of Sahara

I am just discovering the genius that was/is loveliescrushing -- Bloweyelashwish has been on repeat throughout the day.

Think My Bloody Valentine strung out on smack.

440604my7.jpg

Jandek's latest Glasgow Monday: The Cell has also spent some time in my player recently.

"Glasgow Monday is the 47th release, third live album, and second-ever double album release, from avant-folk/blues singer/songwriter Jandek. It is his fifth release of the year (counting the DVD version of Glasgow Sunday) and features "The Corwood Representative" on piano and vocals, along with the same rhythm section he performed with at the shows documented on Glasgow Sunday and Newcastle Sunday, bassist Richard Youngs (playing upright bass) and drummer/percussionist Alex Neilson who accents the music with chimes and echoing percussion. It was recorded live at the Center for Contemporary Arts in Glasgow, Scotland on May 23, 2005 and features a prelude and nine parts to a single song, "The Cell."

"The music has classical elements, and can be called "meditative." It is also devoid of the dissonance associated with most Corwood albums, with Jandek's piano playing being compared to Erik Satie and his speak/singing staying in a mellow timbre that never moves into his atonal wail. The lyrics make references to mitochondria, "streaming into the desert", work, health, heroes, the occult (which he doesn't battle), and "possibility", continually circling back to the same question that begins and ends the album - "What do I have?"."

The Cell, Part One (mp3)

jandekuj6.jpg

Jens Lekman - When I Said I Wanted To Be Your Dog
Matthew Friedberger - Winter Women/Holy Ghost Language School
Thom Yorke - The Eraser
The Pipettes - We Are The Pipettes
Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

Pervo, is your second name Sebastian? So cool! :) (you thought no one would notice it, didn't you hihi)

I simply love: the new centro-matic album and 'leaving songs' by Stuart A. Staples!

Half of my favourite album at the minute is Grace by Tim Buckley. Some of it I'm not too keen but hey ho.

Likewise with the Arctic Monkeys album and a few others I'm listening to.

Tomorrow I'll no doubt be liking other albums more.

At this time: Bruce Springsteen - Born to run
Jesus, I'm blown away again!!!!!!!!

Pink Moon - Nick Drake

REM Unplugged 2001
DAMIEN DEMPSEY Live at the Olympia (Genius)

Maradona said:
Been listening to Springsteen's new album a lot: The Seeger Sessions. I realise most Moz fans would rather stick their head in an oven than listen to Bruce, but they have more in common than you might imagine.

a lot in common ?

I do like the Boss / but prefer Canadian Young or Adams (Neil or Bryan)

But still Dylan, Reed, Cale, and Wait (Robert Zimmermann, Lou, John, and Tom) are a hell lot better

But Mozzer are best.

These days I'm Iistening to everything JOY DIVISION and PIXIES [speciaIIy Surfer Rosa]

AIso-

J.A.M.C.-Psychocandy

PauIina Rubio-PauIina

The Cure- Disintegration

Diamanda GaIas- Diamanda GaIas, Iitanies of Satan, Saint of the Pit

Back
Top Bottom