What's Your Verdict On The Madeleine McCann Case?

What do you think happened to Madeleine McAnn?

• Her parents murdered her.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Her parents killed her, but accidentally, then tried to cover it up.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • She was abducted and is still alive somewhere.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • She was abducted and murdered.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I haven't seen conclusive enough evidence to make a judgement.

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

Coiffeur_En_Flame

It's been 4 months now, and now it seems the police are accelerating their case against Kate and Gerry McCann. They may well be charged with their daughter's murder in the next few days. So after everything you've seen and read, what do you think happened? Obviously this is purely speculative, but I'm interested to gauge general opinions on this case.

It's been 4 months now, and now it seems the police are accelerating their case against Kate and Gerry McCann. They may well be charged with their daughter's murder in the next few days. So after everything you've seen and read, what do you think happened? Obviously this is purely speculative, but I'm interested to gauge general opinions on this case.
well...I have always found it a very odd case. I was discussing this with a friend yesterday, and she said 'Would there be this much sympathy for them if it was a single mother on benifits?' She felt that the police would have pointed the finger a long time ago, and I do feel inclined to agree with her. I'm not going to make up my mind just yet, but as I say, I've found this case a bit odd from the beginning.

well...I have always found it a very odd case. I was discussing this with a friend yesterday, and she said 'Would there be this much sympathy for them if it was a single mother on benifits?' She felt that the police would have pointed the finger a long time ago, and I do feel inclined to agree with her. I'm not going to make up my mind just yet, but as I say, I've found this case a bit odd from the beginning.

This is very true. The general opinion among the media has always seemed to be that because they have nice middle-class jobs and live in a nice middle-class house in a nice middle-class area, how can they possibly be murderers? Because of course, it's only the poor that kill :rolleyes:. The police have gone along with this until now, and I'm not sure whether the current questioning is borne out of desperation to solve the case or actual evidence.

Coiff.

This is very true. The general opinion among the media has always seemed to be that because they have nice middle-class jobs and live in a nice middle-class house in a nice middle-class area, how can they possibly be murderers? Because of course, it's only the poor that kill :rolleyes:. The police have gone along with this until now, and I'm not sure whether the current questioning is borne out of desperation to solve the case or actual evidence.

Coiff.
Yeah, this is it. i don't want to be quick to judge them, just because the media have decided they did it, but it does seem likely to me I'm afraid.

Yeah, this is it. i don't want to be quick to judge them, just because the media have decided they did it, but it does seem likely to me I'm afraid.

If nothing else, this case has shown people how fickle and unreliable the media is, in particular the red-tops, the Mail and the Express. The fact that it took them 4 months to get together the guts to say, "hey, maybe we should write about the possibility that her parents killed her?" is shameful. Instead they wasted miles of column space on grandiose sentimentality and basically turned themselves into mass condolence books. Of course, it was the same with Diana, and no one caught on then, so I doubt anyone will now either.

Coiff.

The whole thing is ridiculously overblown regardless of who did it. This blanket coverage is bordering on the hysterical. Because apparently this is one of the most important things happening in the world, nevermind that there are hundreds of other missing children in the country, wars all over the world etc :rolleyes:

don't know. don't care.

The whole thing is ridiculously overblown regardless of who did it. This blanket coverage is bordering on the hysterical. Because apparently this is one of the most important things happening in the world, nevermind that there are hundreds of other missing children in the country, wars all over the world etc :rolleyes:
exactly.

Things do not seem to add up, its an upsetting case all round. I feel very very sorry for her parents but as I said at the beginning I can not understand leaving your children alone while you are in another building. However that is the least of the worries.
I hope very much that the child is alive, I doubt it though. I can not believe though as one of the main theories seem to be that they rented a car and moved her some 25 days after her alleged death, in the full view of the media circus, very odd.

Wars don't sell newspapers, this does. Sadly, that's the stage we're at in the 21st century, though I suppose you could question whether it's ever been any different. I don't think this case is half as important as Iraq or Afghanistan or human rights abuse in Zimbabwe or the continued crisis in Sudan or myriad other issues, but I do want to know what people think about it, and to see what influence the media has had on those decisions.

Coiff.

Wars don't sell newspapers, this does. Sadly, that's the stage we're at in the 21st century, though I suppose you could question whether it's ever been any different. I don't think this case is half as important as Iraq or Afghanistan or human rights abuse in Zimbabwe or the continued crisis in Sudan or myriad other issues, but I do want to know what people think about it, and to see what influence the media has had on those decisions.

Coiff.

Things like this are, if you'll excuse the bluntness, an editors wet-dream because it allows them to devote column inch after column inch to what is essentially a real life soap opera.

Unlike say, a war, where there is usually something no matter how small that the consumer could do to engage it, writing petitions etc, this sort of thing allows (in the same way the Diana fiasco) people to wallow in mawkish sentimentality without a deeper purpose.

Oh and she's middle-class, blonde and white which always helps.

BTW my previous response wasn't directed at you, but rather the media coverage.

Things do not seem to add up, its an upsetting case all round. I feel very very sorry for her parents but as I said at the beginning I can not understand leaving your children alone while you are in another building. However that is the least of the worries.
I hope very much that the child is alive, I doubt it though. I can not believe though as one of the main theories seem to be that they rented a car and moved her some 25 days after her alleged death, in the full view of the media circus, very odd.

I doubt very much if there is a parent anywhere that hasn`t at some point left their child for a short while.I know i have. I`ve nipped to the end of the street to get a pint of milk.I`ve gone two doors along to feed the neighbours hamsters.The distance from the Tapas bar they were at is no different from your children being in their room and you having a barbecue in the garden.
I don`t know what to think-or if any of us actually has a right to think.If it were me and my child befell some kind of accident and died when i should have been with them i can very well understand the implications and reasons to cover this up.For one you would undoubtably loose custody of any other children.
Unfortunately rumour and supposition have a tendancy to stick regardless of fact.
Whatever happened-tragedy or abduction the whole thing is tragic.They have returned home to their daughters room filled with her clothes and toys and pictures on the walls.I cannot imagine what that must be like.

Last edited:
I doubt very much if there is a parent anywhere that hasn`t at some point left their child for a short while.I know i have. I`ve nipped to the end of the street to get a pint of milk.I`ve gone two doors along to feed the neighbours hamsters.The distance from the Tapas bar they were at is no different from your children being in their room and you having a barbecue in the garden.
I don`t know what to think-or if any of us actually has a right to think.If it were me and my child befell some kind of accident and died when i should have been with them i can very well understand the implications and reasons to cover this up.For one you would undoubtably loose custody of any other children.
Unfortunately rumour and supposition have a tendancy to stick regardless of fact.
Whatever happened-tragedy or abduction the whole thing is tragic.They have returned home to their daughters room filled with her clothes and toys and pictures on the walls.I cannot imagine what that must be like.

Hmmm I find it hard not to come across as judgemental, I totally sympathise and the pictures I have seen of the bar and the hotel looked a lot further to me than a barbecue in the garden, I really really can not imagine what anyone involved is going through. I very much hope they get peace to live their lives with their twins.

Its too early for me to have an opinion. I never really bought the pedo ring thing. I'm reminded of The Ramseys, when their daughter JonBenet was murdered. Everyone thought they did it. I never really thought they did, but I'm not sure about these two. Too soon to tell, for me, anyways.

The distance from the Tapas bar they were at is no different from your children being in their room and you having a barbecue in the garden.

Um, that's one BIG 'garden'. Have you seen the photos?

My verdict? How can anyone possibly know enough to deliver a 'verdict'??

Trial by media indeed. Lindy Chamberlain, anyone?

I am curious to hear why some here have had a 'bad feeling' about the case. That her parents have been involved never occurred to me and I am curious to hear how others arrived at this suspicion?

:)

guilty

they try to hard to show their innocence, and they made an alliance with
the media for the search.

Now it's against them, the blood in their van, and in their bungalow in
Portugal blood was found. [well , the one they rented]

Madeleine is dead. Something awfull must have happened, but we will
know till the parents confess.

The authorities in Portugal shouln't have given them the oportunity to
go back to the UK

Last edited:
guilty

they try to hard to show their innocence, and they made an alliance with
the media for the search.

Now it's against them, the blood in their van, and in their bungalow in
Portugal blood was found. [well , the one the rented]

Madeleine is dead. Something awfull must have happened, but we will
know till the parents confess.

The authorities in Portugal shouln't have given them the oportunity to
go back to the UK

Thank you Detective Celibate, but you're only speculating and we don't know what really happened to Madeleine.

Back
Top Bottom