Who is the American Morrissey/Smiths?

I'm guessing either Micahel Stipe/R.E.M. or Paul Westerberg/Replacements.
Apologies if this topic has been discussed before...

There isn't one. Not even close, in my opinion.

But if I had to say, I'd choose R.E.M. The proximity between them being:

The Cosmos = Pop/rock music

The Solar System = Great indie bands of the 1980s.

The Sun = The Smiths

The Overgrown Pebbles Formerly Known As The Planet Pluto = R.E.M.

:)

I definitely don't think anyone even comes close; in America or the world. Morrissey is definitely quite unique, for better or worse. Interesting choice with Replacements though. Chuck Kloster would agree, but he sucks :D

I hate to think of it, but I feel like someone like Elliot Smith has a somewhat cult following, although I don't like him at all. A lot of people seem to throw themselves emotionally at the whim of his music similar to moz fans. I remember when he killed himself someone I knew became reclusive in their house for a few days weeping. I would probably do the same in morrisseys case, but I'm a baby :cool:

I definitely don't think anyone even comes close; in America or the world. Morrissey is definitely quite unique, for better or worse. Interesting choice with Replacements though. Chuck Kloster would agree, but he sucks :D

Ha, did Chuck Klosterman compare The Smiths to The Replacements somewhere? I'd like to read that. I'm not a huge fan of his but he usually has an interesting take on things. I'd assume he would put Westerberg in the Han Solo archetype and Morrissey in the Luke Skywalker camp-- if you've read "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs" you'll know what I'm referring to.

I hate to think of it, but I feel like someone like Elliot Smith has a somewhat cult following, although I don't like him at all. A lot of people seem to throw themselves emotionally at the whim of his music similar to moz fans. I remember when he killed himself someone I knew became reclusive in their house for a few days weeping. I would probably do the same in morrisseys case, but I'm a baby :cool:

Smith is not a bad comparison. He's got the name right, at least. However, I think a big part of The Smiths' identity was the band's ambition to be a successful pop group, i.e. top the charts. This is a big difference between the US and UK, since an indie record label group like The Smiths would have no shot-- zero, zilch, nada-- at charting highly. R.E.M. is the only notable breakthrough in that regard, with "The One I Love" hitting #9 on I.R.S. Records. Otherwise you need the backing of a giant corporation to have chart success in the States. Not true in England, I don't think.

Don't say the world if you don't know the music and even more the lyrics of all bands in the world. In Germany there are two bands who have made music since around 1982 whose lyrics are very similar to those of Morrissey in the way that they are socially observant and pin down social matters. Both bands have a massive following and both bands are little known of in the English speaking world. I am sure the French can also mention at least one artist, who is little known outside France, but well known in France for similar reasons.

So pray give us the names of said bands...

I'm guessing either Micahel Stipe/R.E.M. or Paul Westerberg/Replacements.
Apologies if this topic has been discussed before...

REM in the 1980s certainly were the American Smiths in terms of indie/college radio ethic.
If you want to go beyond the 1980s the similarity stops as Stipey never went solo and REM became huge.

Westerberg is interesting as he's had quite a consistent solo career although never reached the same heights The Replacements reached, but then some would argue that about Morrissey/ Smiths as well.

Maybe Hüsker Dü/Bob Mould?

Last edited:
His name was Elvis Presley.

Yep, esp if Moz starts wearing rhinestones and playing Vegas ;)

Alive...hmm, could he be compared to Chris Isaak? Chris is a lot more flashy but a rockabilly crooner, so somewhat similar, yeah? I don't know enough about his music but I like his style.

A bit look-alike-ish too (pomps get me lightheaded :p)

isaak06-726896.jpg

Yep, esp if Moz starts wearing rhinestones and playing Vegas ;)

Alive...hmm, could he be compared to Chris Isaak? Chris is a lot more flashy but a rockabilly crooner, so somewhat similar, yeah? I don't know enough about his music but I like his style.

A bit look-alike-ish too (pomps get me lightheaded :p)

isaak06-726896.jpg

Tee Hee Hee, I'm sure someday Moz will wear is rhinestones in public, just wait till he gets his contract for a year of performances in Vegas :guitar:

As for the Chris Isaak thing, I am prone to hating this comparison b/c my father still insists they are the same person living 2 different lives with 2 different music careers :rolleyes: My dad is on his own planet though.

As for the Chris Isaak thing, I am prone to hating this comparison b/c my father still insists they are the same person living 2 different lives with 2 different music careers :rolleyes: My dad is on his own planet though.

Really!? Too weird. Your Dad's THOUGHTS, that is. ;)

I'd say Springsteen, in that Springsteen is known for singing about being a hard working American and talks alot about American themes, just like Morrissey sings alot about "Britishy" things.

that make sense? i couldve worded that better.

I'd say Springsteen, in that Springsteen is known for singing about being a hard working American and talks alot about American themes, just like Morrissey sings alot about "Britishy" things.

I like the term Britishy. Its all good. It like "samey"; it's not really a work but if used enough, people would think it was an actual word.

I'd agree. We don't call him The Boss for nothin'. He's the epitome of Americana. Baseball, apple pie and Springsteen. :cool:

and he had/s a nice butt :p

brucespringsteenbornintheusa.jpg

I shouldve said that Springsteen was "Americany"

And waaaaaaaay to mainstream!

R.E.M. is definitely on par other than not being a solo act but rather going from a 4 piece to a 3 piece. Did I mention that they are my fall time favorite band to this day while Morrissey is my favorite solo artist of all time, not that The Smiths were too bad you know;)???? It was pretty cool to see Johnny Marr play with R.E.M. on a few songs this past tour.
I Even named my son Jake Morrissey, how's that?:lbf:

I'd agree. We don't call him The Boss for nothin'. He's the epitome of Americana. Baseball, apple pie and Springsteen. :cool:

and he had/s a nice butt :p

brucespringsteenbornintheusa.jpg

I absolutely abhor Bruce Springsteen and everything that he stands for. Him and John Mellancamp = :head-smack:

:p Sorry Coz :o

Back
Top Bottom