"World Peace..." review by Ben Ratliff - The New York Times

Ha indeed. From the review, I'd say its a score of 50% at tops.

You're entirely entitled to your opinion. These things are obviously subjective. There are always people who dislike an album. People dislike Pet Sounds or Sgt Pepper. Everybody understands you don't like the album by now. Many others do like it, love it even. Believe it or not, this is the most positive reaction I've known here to a Morrissey release...

But for a new member you seem bizarrely angry about the record - perhaps you're an older member in a new guise? You really don't need to clog up every thread making the same point over and over again. You're opinion has been duly noted! You're obviously intelligent so maybe post on other topics. Or perhaps you have a job to go to! Just a thought.

You're entirely entitled to your opinion. These things are obviously subjective. There are always people who dislike an album. People dislike Pet Sounds or Sgt Pepper. Everybody understands you don't like the album by now. Many others do like it, love it even. Believe it or not, this is the most positive reaction I've known here to a Morrissey release...

But for a new member you seem bizarrely angry about the record - perhaps you're an older member in a new guise? You really don't need to clog up every thread making the same point over and over again. You're opinion has been duly noted! You're obviously intelligent so maybe post on other topics. Or perhaps you have a job to go to! Just a thought.

I think you're making way too much of things. I was just saying that Metacritic have got the score wrong, based on the actual text of the review.

I think you're making way too much of things. I was just saying that Metacritic have got the score wrong, based on the actual text of the review.

I was referring to your activity all over these threads, not just this one. It's fine to have an opinion, but repeating it endlessly just becomes dull. You don't like a record. It's not a big deal. Don't listen to it. Move on. Post about something else.

I was referring to your activity all over these threads, not just this one. It's fine to have an opinion, but repeating it endlessly just becomes dull. You don't like a record. It's not a big deal. Don't listen to it. Move on. Post about something else.

Bit ironic, you posting such comments all over threads on which I've posted, don't you think?

I've seen this kind of stalkery behaviour before on forums, usually from those who take a disliking to someone else's disliking of an album or product. I guess that perfectly understandable - forums can be a bit of a refuge for those who like the company of others who think the same way, but when the subject of the forum is an artist with a certain longevity, the breadth of the art being discussed will naturally lead to a disparity of views. Not everyone can like the same thing at the same time, nor should they.

I'm just as entitled to state my views as you are, regardless of how long you've been here or your own proclivities. You don't have the right to demand I post in a certain way, unless you're a moderator and I am in infringement of the site's rules - in which case I apologise and will of course amend my ways. I would have thought this was obvious enough, but hey.

Last edited:
Bit ironic, you posting such comments all over threads on which I've posted, don't you think?

I've seen this kind of stalkery behaviour before on forums, usually from those who take a disliking to someone else's disliking of an album or product. I guess that perfectly understandable - forums can be a bit of a refuge for those who like the company of others who think the same way, but when the subject of the forum is an artist with a certain longevity, the breadth of the art being discussed will naturally lead to a disparity of views. Not everyone can like the same thing at the same time, nor should they.

I'm just as entitled to state my views as you are, regardless of how long you've been here or your own proclivities. You don't have the right to demand I post in a certain way, unless you're a moderator and I am in infringement of the site's rules - in which case I apologise and will of course amend my ways. I would have thought this was obvious enough, but hey.

Whatever. Joining a forum to post continually about an album you don't actually like seems like odd behaviour to me, but hey. Let's leave it there.

Whatever. Joining a forum to post continually about an album you don't actually like seems like odd behaviour to me, but hey. Let's leave it there.

It is an odd behaviour but us Morrissey fans are an odd bunch. I mean, there's a thread for people who feel indifferent to the record. That's funny. If you really felt indifferent to the record would you bother posting a reply, let alone making a thread?

Thats not why I joined. I'm just about to start a thread about how much I love Viva Hate, actually. Feel free to join in, with whatever views you have on the album, whether postivie or negative.

I am of the view - which may be rather rare these days - that debate and a plurality of opinions is healthy and provides a richer diet for the brain.

Again, the sycophants cannot accept an accurate appraisal of the album. You who claim this is brilliant in terms of lyrics or music must have so much wax or something else in your ears--seriously. The lyrics are nowhere close to his output during his prime, and the music is plodding and scratchy and noisy.

Please think for yourself.

Again, the sycophants cannot accept an accurate appraisal of the album. You who claim this is brilliant in terms of lyrics or music must have so much wax or something else in your ears--seriously. The lyrics are nowhere close to his output during his prime, and the music is plodding and scratchy and noisy.

"Think for yourself" implies that you would allow people to form their own opinion about the record; yet you have already determined that your appraisal is the only correct one. Do you not see the irony in your post (and in your user name) ? Music is a highly subjective artform, and we are not going to have the same reaction or interpretation. You are the Quarry is one of my favorite records, but I'm certainly not going to attack someone who doesn't care for it. Additionally, it's a bit marginalizing, and incorrect, to label everyone who says anything positive as a sycophant, which by definition means someone who fawns over another person in order to gain favor. Since none of us personally knows Morrissey, there is no expectation of gaining anything by making positive comments, other than sharing our opinions with other fans. I have no problem with anyone who doesn't like the record; I just don't understand why you are so determined to convince others that they have to dislike it as much as you do.

lynnda

Jesus H. Christ "FAN". It's not sycophancy, it's subjectivity, and aren't you a little too old to truly not know the concept or context of either?

If something sounds good, I like it. WPINOYB sounds good. Therefore, I like it. It’s that simple.

I thought this was a fair, and interesting review. Of course, as the author didn't have his tongue up Morrissey's arse the sycophants here just roll their eyes, and claim it's rubbish.

I thought this was a fair, and interesting review. Of course, as the author didn't have his tongue up Morrissey's arse the sycophants here just roll their eyes, and claim it's rubbish.

You're misusing the word "sycophant" - nobody is gaining anything from Morrissey by liking the record. They just like it.

You're misusing the word "sycophant" - nobody is gaining anything from Morrissey by liking the record. They just like it.

I know it's a bizarre concept huh? It's not like you're gonna get a phone call from Moz saying, "thanks for the support on the forums, big up's."

Back
Top Bottom