Years Of Refusal Review: The Scotsman

Re: Years Of Refusal Review :The Scotsman

"ROCK LEGEND" EUGH !

That is a scary (and quite possibly correct :( ) comparison.

Not too sure what you mean by 10,20,30 years bit but i get the idea.

It was just an example. :o

With comments like these among Morrrissey fans themselves,I'm beginning to think The Scotsman journalist was on to something when he said," Morrissey is selling more albums than ever...but this is a reflection of the still growing appeal of one of rock's originals rather than the quality of his most recent music."

yes, well there were also fans that stated they prefere Moz's solo work to the smiths, so...

You agree with the journalist, that's your view. I don't, that's mine.
chacun à son goût

Ha, that was the worst review ever. I hate people who are constantly living in the past and always tends to forget all the great music that is out there right now, all the new bands and artist struggling to reach somewhere. This guy is just old and dull.
I mean come on...

"Morrissey is selling more albums and concert tickets than ever, but this is a reflection of the still-growing appeal of one of rock's true originals, rather than the quality of his recent music."

That's just bull. The reason is more likely the choice of producer Jerry Finn in 2004 for You Are the Quarry and the fact that some his later tunes have been attracting the mainstream market, e.g. First of the gang to die, Irish blood English Heart, You Have Killed Me...

it should be noted that this 'review' is based simply on the one-off playback session at Pigalé nightclub; it's not a proper review based on repeated listenings.
we still await the first one of those (possibly in the new music magazines which will come out in the next couple of days or, failing that, the ones in a month's time).
the other reviews based on that session were pretty mixed but generally positive with a couple of reviewers saying that at least some of the songs showed Moz at his very best...

it should be noted that this 'review' is based simply on the one-off playback session at Pigalé nightclub; it's not a proper review based on repeated listenings.
we still await the first one of those (possibly in the new music magazines which will come out in the next couple of days or, failing that, the ones in a month's time).
the other reviews based on that session were pretty mixed but generally positive with a couple of reviewers saying that at least some of the songs showed Moz at his very best...

Glad to read that your positive feedback about the album. :D

This is quite normal, isn't it? There is a considerable age gap between you and him, it's simply that not the same things matter to you than to him.

I'll support this point also. He's writing from the perspective of an adult now, not an adolescent. Doesn't mean he's forgotten what it feels like to be 17 or 20 or 25, just that he's thinking about different things these days. The worries of a 35 or 40 or 45 year old are not the same as those of a younger adult. It shifts from, "Oh my god, what's wrong with me?" to "Oh my god, what is wrong with everybody?"

Among other changes.

I'm curious how the listening session worked in terms of Morrissey's appearance. Did he just disappear behind the curtains once he introduced it?

I can't imagine him sitting there watching people listen.

Surprised Simon Goddard hasn't done a track-by-track overview yet, if he was in fact invited. I remember him doing a good one for Quarry on the radio. Did he do the same for Ringleader?

Last edited:

I'm curiou show the listening session worked in terms of Morrissey's appearance. Did he just disappear behind the curtains once he introduced it?

I can't imagine him sitting there watching people listen.

Surprised Simon Godard hasn't done a track-by-track overview yet, if he was in fact invited. I remember him doing a good one for Quarry on the radio. Did he do the same for Ringleader?

Hmmm, Anin didn't tell us, but I presume after introducing the album Morrissey left the room.

Possibly coming issue of Uncut or Word will feature Simon Goddard's review?

Hmmm, Anin didn't tell us, but I presume after introducing the album Morrissey left the room.

Possibly coming issue of Uncut or Word will feature Simon Goddard's review?

Jude Rogers' report in The Guardian said: "Moz said, with unusual shyness, that he hoped we liked it - before putting his fingers in his ears and running away."

I wasn't sure if that was a joke, but it's the kind of schtick Moz does these days, hah.

I definitely feel that that piece was obnoxious because it doesn't acknowledge that Morrissey has put out great albums and memorable songs. Just as memorable as anything The Smiths put out.

But I do find myself underwhelmed by Morrissey's latest songs. We'll see about the album. Not going to make my mind up yet. But if it's anything like ROTT, I won't listen more than a few times, sadly.

Can't be arsed to back this up, but it seems like the worse their careers as journos have gone over the years, the harsher they are on Moz. Further to that, the journalists Moz respects not only admire his work (naturally) but have more successful, well-rounded careers.

Jude Rogers' report in The Guardian said: "Moz said, with unusual shyness, that he hoped we liked it - before putting his fingers in his ears and running away."

I wasn't sure if that was a joke, but it's the kind of schtick Moz does these days, hah.

I assumed Morrissey would have left the room too, until I read this from Anin’s review from The Pigalle Club.

“But really it was too difficult to concentrate and recall all the new tracks individually. Especially when Morrissey is sitting across the room while Something Is Squeezing My Skull was playing. Absolutely surreal.”

Ah, thanks.

I wonder if he sat there through the whole album??

No photos from that day, alas...

I assumed Morrissey would have left the room too, until I read this from Anin’s review from The Pigalle Club.

“But really it was too difficult to concentrate and recall all the new tracks individually. Especially when Morrissey is sitting across the room while Something Is Squeezing My Skull was playing. Absolutely surreal.”

Problem is from what I recall quite a few of the ROTT were done after one listen which was a bit silly for an album that was definitely a grower. Record companies are so paranoid these days that they often won't let journalists take away a copy. I think that is pointless as we all know albums will leak whatever they do.

Problem is from what I recall quite a few of the ROTT were done after one listen which was a bit silly for an album that was definitely a grower. Record companies are so paranoid these days that they often won't let journalists take away a copy. I think that is pointless as we all know albums will leak whatever they do.

Japanese record companies nowadays lend a copy and ask a journalist / reviewer to return the copy later.
I used to get a cassette copy in 90s which has no value or novelty.

maybe the guy just didnt like it. couldnt that be a possibility? you're over analyzing this review. not everyone can be super huge Morrissey fans. maybe it really does suck. who knows.

maybe the guy just didnt like it. couldnt that be a possibility? you're over analyzing this review. not everyone can be super huge Morrissey fans. maybe it really does suck. who knows.

Right on the button.

Back
Top Bottom