Your Arsenal vs. Wish

I'm going with Your Arsenal. Even though Wish is pretty great, there are one or two filler tracks, whereas Your Arsenal has none.

Your Arsenal is also more concise and just flat out fun. Wish is slightly long in the tooth and silly in certain spots. Dull in others. Not often, but enough to lose to Morrissey and The Lads.

However....

If Play had replaced Apart, The Big Hand had replaced Wendy Time, and if This Twilight Garden had been put on the record (preferably between Friday I'm in Love and Trust)...then Morrissey, Alain, and Boz might have been in trouble.

This Twilight Garden is better than anything Morrissey has ever done solo...

I felt Depeche Mode's "Violator" held a similar position in their career. It's a strong album whether you like them or not.
Music for Twilight sounds like one of Duran Duran's lusher songs. It will stand the test of time but no real surprises in it musically or lyrically.

I felt Depeche Mode's "Violator" held a similar position in their career. It's a strong album whether you like them or not.
Music for Twilight sounds like one of Duran Duran's lusher songs. It will stand the test of time but no real surprises in it musically or lyrically.

I agree about 'Violator'...it is a strong album with some very good singles.

When was the last time you were surprised lyrical or musically by Morrissey?! Lol.

"Explosive kegs".
But seriously, while not all of Morrissey's lyrics are beyond (or even close to) reproach these days, even the most recent album contained a few diamonds in the rough. For better or worse, they are always words that could only be written by him.

I think Wish was the first truly mediocre Cure album and Your Arsenal was a triumph after the fairly lacklustre Kill Uncle. So Your Arsenal wins hands down for me.

I think the last three albums have all had some excellent songs. It's just that they are fewer and farther between. But they're still there, and for a guy who's 50 and has been doing this since 1982 to still be capable of even ONE truly great song per album, well, that's impressive. But I'd say there is far more good stuff than bad, and then there's been some great b-sides.

To answer the question though...Camden, Friday Morning, Two People, Kiss You, Teenage Dad, Symphonies, Couldn't Last, Ganglord, Christian Dior, Dear God, Sweetie Pie, Anybody's Hero, Skull, Mama, Paris, Carol, Good In Your Time...

I'd say all of those songs are outstanding. Not all in the same way or for the same reasons but they are very very good songs.

I think so, anyway.

I didn't ask 'what are GOOD songs?'...I asked when was the last time Morrissey surprised you musically or lyrically. There is a difference.

He's managed to surprise me in the last 7 years with how BAD he can be...once upon a time I thought 'Papa Jack' was the worst he gets, then Jesse Tobias came along...But no positive surprises. Yeah, there are good songs that came from that time period, but he isn't really saying anything that he hasn't said before and better.

I was going to type up a very similar response but yours summed it up very well. I've brought the age issue (both career age and biological age) and people just don't buy that argument generally, but I'm sorry, I have to agree with Noel Gallagher that most bands have five good years of creativity in them. Morrissey has gone way beyond that and still impresses in many ways. I do also get tired of the constant bashing of the music, too. Yes, it's not as strong overall as it once was, but there are some fantastic melodies and very different sounds in the list of songs you provided as well as others. If completely new collaborators had written Dear God or Symphonies they'd be hailed as brilliant, but because they came from longtime members, not as much enthusiasm. Conversely, if Marr was able to write musical backing as good as the best tracks on Vauxhall tomorrow there'd be grown men crying tears of joy. It's human nature.

I think the last three albums have all had some excellent songs. It's just that they are fewer and farther between. But they're still there, and for a guy who's 50 and has been doing this since 1982 to still be capable of even ONE truly great song per album, well, that's impressive. But I'd say there is far more good stuff than bad, and then there's been some great b-sides.

To answer the question though...Camden, Friday Morning, Two People, Kiss You, Teenage Dad, Symphonies, Couldn't Last, Ganglord, Christian Dior, Dear God, Sweetie Pie, Anybody's Hero, Skull, Mama, Paris, Carol, Good In Your Time...

I'd say all of those songs are outstanding. Not all in the same way or for the same reasons but they are very very good songs.

I think so, anyway.

C'mon now. Let's not get nuts.

spit-take.jpg

You know, you ARE allowed to like other groups MORE than The Smiths and Morrissey and other songs MORE than Smiths or Morrissey songs...I know that is a hard concept for some people here to grasp.

It's okay to like other music better, it's just crazy to say it is better. (joking...kind of).

You know, you ARE allowed to like other groups MORE than The Smiths and Morrissey and other songs MORE than Smiths or Morrissey songs...I know that is a hard concept for some people here to grasp.

It's okay to like other music better, it's just crazy to say it is better. (joking...kind of).

Quality of music is relative...afterall, there are large portions of the population that find worth in rap and country...and country rap.

Back
Top Bottom