Bravado has no legal right to sell Morrissey merchandise - statement at true-to-you.net

Bravado - true-to-you.net
21 February 2012

BRAVADO

Morrissey would ask that people do not buy any merchandise by the company Bravado, whether retail or online. Bravado do not have any legal right to sell Morrissey t-shirts, etc, but are doing so despite legal warnings that they must stop. Bravado do not account to Morrissey, and therefore keep 100% profit for themselves. Once again, Morrissey asks that Bravado be shunned by worldwide customers.

As pointed out by Amy in the original forum thread (post), the Bravado 'Official U.S. Store' is still operational.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Bravado has no legal right to sell Morrissey merchandise - statement at

This. .

Re: Article: Bravado has no legal right to sell Morrissey merchandise - statement at

Thanks for providing an example. Generally when people provide examples I wonder why, if they thought I could not grasp the facts before my eyes, that I would somehow understand their completely fictional example. But in this case it's really helpful because it clearly shows that you are wrong.

In the case of the t-shirt sales the contract could very well have been for only a certain period of time. As in your example, when that time ended and the license was expired, they would have to stop selling them. I can't buy a license to SELL a product for one year, and then interpret that to mean that I may sell in perpetuity, provided I MADE the products within that year. What's happened is that the merchandise didn't sell and they're probably marking it down, but even if not, it's competing with his current merchandise.

It may very well be that he has already been paid something because it seems like there would have been some clear statement of financial settlement that included the rights to everything. But that's not fair to say. The record companies have been ripping off artists since the very beginning of pop music.

1 - You may be able to grasp the message without a provided example. If you have been around these parts long enough you know that there are some that are incapable of understanding a scenario without an example. Apologies if I offended your intellect.

2 - Your scenario may be correct but it may also not be incorrect. Again I will cite the current Lego license. (I sell a lot of things on the side) This year Mega Blocks lost the Marvel license to Lego. When Lego begins to ship their Avengers sets and sets related to other Marvel properties there will be an overlap. The merchandise will be in direct competition with other building toys regarding the same property. This is common.

3 - Neither of us may know the full details but I am at a point where I no longer fully believe anything that comes out of this artists mouth regarding how the world treats him, quotes him, and acts towards him. As someone else said he should concentrate on making quality music - something that he has not concentrated on in a few years.

And now... back to other things... see you all in another month.

for not releasing new material (which when released would inevitably be heavily criticized also). Why do you come here?

I agree with this statement. It seems people complain about not hearing unreleased songs, and whine about the poeple not sharing. But when they are leaked, people complain and criticize the songs. Same with his albums, people complain about nothing being released and then it's released and people crticize it. I also remember people always saying Moz should let Boz and Alain go and get new song writers. Well, Alain left, Jessie came in, and now people are complaining about Jessie and how Alain was the best thing that ever happened to Morrissey solo years.

make up your mind people...

They only have ONE t-shirt for sale on the site. So all this fuss seems to be about nothing!!

They only have ONE t-shirt for sale on the site. So all this fuss seems to be about nothing!!

Yes, but when they sell it he wants his 30p

I agree with this statement. It seems people complain about not hearing unreleased songs, and whine about the poeple not sharing. But when they are leaked, people complain and criticize the songs. Same with his albums, people complain about nothing being released and then it's released and people crticize it. I also remember people always saying Moz should let Boz and Alain go and get new song writers. Well, Alain left, Jessie came in, and now people are complaining about Jessie and how Alain was the best thing that ever happened to Morrissey solo years.

make up your mind people...

I think, when people complained about Alain & Boz, they had in mind the possibility that he might get better musicians into the band, not worse ones. Why has that been so difficult for you to grasp?

Bravado is one of the most Vicious companies around....For years, they would Claim to own the T-Shirt rights to bands like Depeche Mode, etc....But, instead of actually printing decent shirts for stores to carry, they would rather Threaten lawsuits...and Extort money from stores carrying "un-official" Merchandise.....If they would have Actually produced the merchandise, and made it available, nobody would carry these other shirts. Good for Morrissey, I hope he Sues these pieces of Crap--!!

1 - You may be able to grasp the message without a provided example. If you have been around these parts long enough you know that there are some that are incapable of understanding a scenario without an example. Apologies if I offended your intellect.

2 - Your scenario may be correct but it may also not be incorrect. Again I will cite the current Lego license. (I sell a lot of things on the side) This year Mega Blocks lost the Marvel license to Lego. When Lego begins to ship their Avengers sets and sets related to other Marvel properties there will be an overlap. The merchandise will be in direct competition with other building toys regarding the same property. This is common.

3 - Neither of us may know the full details but I am at a point where I no longer fully believe anything that comes out of this artists mouth regarding how the world treats him, quotes him, and acts towards him. As someone else said he should concentrate on making quality music - something that he has not concentrated on in a few years.

And now... back to other things... see you all in another month.

I was just having fun because you stated that nobody really knows the truth and then told Morrissey to stop whining. If it's true that they only have one t-shirt for sale as someone said, then Morrissey may have made this plea just to keep in practice. Thank you for using the cool 1,2,3 bullets. Point 2 is the relevant issue. I don't know how well audited some of these merchandise sales are. I read an example of a band catching the merchandisers at their show using a lower grade of t-shirt and demanding that they lower the prices to the fans. This implied that that it's all sourced out. At the end of the tour I'll bet there is often some funny business with remaining stock. But then some shirts are sold online while the tour is still on, so those are obviously easy to audit. I'm thinking about different ways those shirts could be hidden from the artist and management, maybe when a run has a slight flaw and is marked as destroyed.
Anyway, though Morrissey may be worth millions he surely doesn't want to go broke on this tour and selling shirts is part of it. Obviously there are a lot more people that like Star Wars than like Morrissey because that's the sort of infantile escapism that flourishes in this society and culture. Whatever, Star Wars can afford to compete with itself, and you can bet that the numbers on the licensed Star Wars toys come very close to being the exact number produced, at least to a far greater degree than you could hope from a bunch of rock concert merchandisers, who I imagine are sort of like a carnival run by the mob. If I'm David Rockefeller and I own controlling shares in two banks, when you switch from one to the other, I won't be mad. I'll give you a toaster! But Morrissey has to sell shirts or else he has to get into his retirement fund.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom