Morrissey Central "CALIFORNIA SON" (January 16, 2024)

Morrissey and Joni Mitchell

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor old Ste Mo

All he wanted in life was to be famous :popcorn:
He really is a sad and desperate figure of a man these days.
I really can’t foresee 2024 being any kinder to him either.
It doesn’t look good when band members walk off the tour only to form a supergroup and get back on the road without him :laughing:
You only have to listen to the racket that the present Lawnmower parts make to realise that in 2024 he’s probably better off to strip the engine altogether and perform to backing tracks.
Truth is nobody really cares about him and his antics anymore, record companies have done their absolute best to accommodate him only to be given the “I’m it you’re shit” treatment.

On the other hand though I reckon that there Johnny Marr has got a fantastic year ahead of him. And well deserved to may a say.

Best wishes for 2024 to all (apart from that bitter and twisted Ste Mo obviously)

Benny 🇬🇧🔪
I think your posts are spot on, I don't know why you get so much hate.
Best wishes for 2024 to you as well

Same here. I cannot stand that genre of music. They paved paradise to put up a parking lot? Come off it. Also she's a Covidian extremist who removed her music from Spotify because "It gave voice to those who spread covid vaccine misinformation". Isn't that the ultimate and disgusting irony that the ones who promulgated the myth that the "vaccine" immunised you against the virus were the ones accusing others of "misinformation"? Apparently Morrissey can overlook quite a bit.
Both Joni and Neil Young dropped in my estimation with their inane stance on covid 'misinformation'. As if Joe Rogan was the enemy ffs. But people are entitled to their point of view. It speaks well of Moz that ultimately he thinks Joni should be judged by her song writing.

Last edited:
I may have missed something. But how did you come to that conclusion? Was there an interview where Morrissey addressed Joni’s views and stated she should only be judged by her music?
Merely the fact that Moz Central posted the photo. That suggests he still loves and admires her as an artist - regardless of any views she expressed on covid, which clearly aren't shared by Moz.

I may have missed something. But how did you come to that conclusion? Was there an interview where Morrissey addressed Joni’s views and stated she should only be judged by her music?

He just makes it up in his head. Then he tries to repeat it enough to make it fact.

We know the nephew & cousins were anti-vaxx.

The band & probably Damon, judging by the picture of him in a car wearing a mask, were not.

All Morrissey said was that that rich people didn't have to obey the lockdown. Which is true.

I don’t know how you come to that conclusion.

I could just as easily looked at this Joni Central post and say … wow it’s great that Morrissey is supporting Joni’s right to her views.
Isn't that what I said? That Moz clearly thinks an artist should be judged on their music?

He just makes it up in his head. Then he tries to repeat it enough to make it fact.

We know the nephew & cousins were anti-vaxx.

The band & probably Damon, judging by the picture of him in a car wearing a mask, were not.

All Morrissey said was that that rich people didn't have to obey the lockdown. Which is true.
He called it con-vid. That would suggest he didn't think that misinformation was coming from the likes of Joe Rogan. Moz rose in most people's estimation with his comments - so not sure why you are trying to sully his good name by suggesting he swallowed the covid nonsense. Leave him alone - he has suffered enough.

He called it con-vid. That would suggest he didn't think that misinformation was coming from the likes of Joe Rogan. Moz rose in most people's estimation with his comments - so not sure why you are trying to sully his good name by suggesting he swallowed the covid nonsense. Leave him alone - he has suffered enough.

That would not suggest it.

You are suggesting it.

In context of the Spotify controversy. That is what you said above.

And I asked what proof do you have that Morrissey ‘ultimately he thinks Joni should be judged by her song writing.’ In regards to Joni’s recent views i.e., Neil/Rogan/Spotify controversy?

My conclusion from reading your post above, is that you’re saying that Morrissey thinks that Joni’s views should be ignored and she should only be judged/appreciated by her music.

And then you’re trying to tell me that you got that information just by looking at this Joni Central post?
Maybe I should rephrase it? It speaks well of Moz that it doesn't appear that Joni's silly views on covid changed his estimation of her as an artist.
Is that any better?

But you haven’t taken into consideration that he just as well might not consider her views ‘silly’. He may be proud of her for being as strong headed as he is, and that, like him, she will stand by what she says. Even if (and WE DON’T entirely know) he doesn’t agree with her.

It goes without saying that he loves her music.

But to say, without proof .. ‘It speaks well of Moz that ultimately he thinks Joni should be judged by her song writing.’
Is, as far as we know, simply not true.
Agreed. Although not sure if any of that contradicts what I said. Moz thinks she's a great artist. End of. I didn't raise the subject of her views on covid. It was raised by Acton. But I think given that Moz described covid as a con, my guess is he wouldn't have shared Joni's views on where the misinformation was coming from.

Edit: Personally, I think she was simply defending Neil, her old friend.
I love Joni. I imagine she’s not the easiest person to get along with, and she might be a bit crazy, but I expect nothing less from an artist of her caliber.
I love her too. I wasn't trying to slag her off. Anyone is allowed to express an opinion. And standing up for a friend is a good thing too. Although she did say in her statement at the time:

I stand in solidarity with Neil Young and the global scientific and medical communities on this issue.

I think it was that second bit that so disappointed me at the time. I mean, Joni, wtf? There were many in the scientific and medical 'communities' (not the best word for a word-smith but let's skip that) who were critical of lockdowns and vaccination mandates etc.

I literally just got done listening to Late Night.

The guitarist Vini Reilly that plays on Viva Hate, released an album around the same time (1989 actually) with his project The Durutti Column.

Maybe a good mood album to doodle or chill to, during these winter days ….

I remember this. I’ve got the magazine somewhere. I don’t like Joni’s music, but she seems like a lovely and interesting person. Sorta of like Morrissey said Sylvia Plath’s life was much more interesting than anything she ever wrote. I feel that way about a lot of artists, too.

The guitarist Vini Reilly that plays on Viva Hate, released an album around the same time (1989 actually) with his project The Durutti Column.

Maybe a good mood album to doodle or chill to, during these winter days ….

Just listened to the first song while I lie here in bed, just woke up! Lovely start to the day.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom