Morrissey Central "FORTY YEARS AGO" (January 9, 2024)

aea277daa0414b945f48cbc84e9f94368f68bb46.gif

What Difference Does It Make? (Rough Trade Records)

It's his solo work that's in real trouble, so Quarry is a better choice.

Or it would be if he hired someone decent to promote it.

It's his solo work that's in real trouble, so Quarry is a better choice.

Or it would be if he hired someone decent to promote it.
If only there were somebody - anybody! - alive today who could do that, Karen.

But who????

Assumed to have been released January 16, 1984.
And something Central and Reddit don't do very well:
FWD.

If only there were somebody - anybody! - alive today who could do that, Karen.

But who????

It's gone beyond crisis - so idk - something like this:

Last edited:
I never understood why. The lyrics are pretty good. I like both versions, the one on the smiths and also the slightly different John peel version.

Probably my favoutire Smiths song. Although with some stiff competition. Almost certainly their best appearance on Top of the Pops. An iconic moment.

Don't care what Morrissey thinks about this single, this is one of their all time top singles.
The single/album version is such a top tune, Johnnys relentless sublime riff, especially at the end is in my opinion one of his best. Everything sounds fantastic on it, and 2 more top tunes on the b-side. The What Difference and Back to The Old House and These Things versions are way better than the Hatful versions in my opinion.
3 singles in and they had already nailed it. Class.

Last edited:
I never understood why. The lyrics are pretty good. I like both versions, the one on the smiths and also the slightly different John peel version.

I think he didn’t like the yodeling part.
Yes, love it too, who wouldn’t?

Hopefully he’ll resurrect it live one day. Soon?

It should be reissued on a nice grey & white 12", with a free chloroform pad, or milk for the more squeamish.

One of their best single covers! Talk about style. Nobody was doing record sleeves like that then. Even now. Seems so basic and easy to do, but often overlooked as a direction to go in.

Back
Top Bottom