Do you like the louder, more rock direction Morrissey has taken the past few years?

Do you like the louder, more rock direction Moz has taken the past few years?

• Yes

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • It doesn't matter

Votes: 7 15.6%

• Total voters
Re: Do you like the louder, more rock direction Morrissey has taken the past few year

I truly think he buried some great songs solely because he felt the need to showcase Jesse Tobias. There is no good reason why "Christian Dior", "Ganglord", and "Good Looking Man About Town" were b-sides. "Sweetie-Pie", as is, deserved to be one...but if it had been the original version, I think it sounded MOST like a 'Vauxhall' track than anything he's done since that album.

'good looking man' was a stinker in my opinion..he would have just been better off putting 'human being' or 'songs from under the floor boards' although they are covers...they were pretty good i suppose.

Re: Do you like the louder, more rock direction Morrissey has taken the past few year

Yeah. It's a good thing Uncleskinny banished that troll Viva Hate forever, putting an end once and for all to his mischievous ways so that the rest of us can carry on respecting Morrissey unfettered.

Yeah. It's a good thing Uncleskinny banished that troll Viva Hate forever, putting an end once and for all to his mischievous ways so that the rest of us can carry on respecting Morrissey unfettered.

I have to admit, he is really really funny, quite brilliant in fact. I laughed out loud for several minutes on the Norrissey and Rocky Balboa album covers. Maybe I've misjudged him, the dude really is funny. Gonna rethink some things.

If you thought he was bad on here, wait until you have him steal all the covers from you in the middle of the night!

Amy had it right, this is just another comment on whether you like the "Jesse direction" or not
and really I think that is the problem, the two have become linked up in the other
a shame really, because personally I like a lot of "hard rock" stuff, just not most of it on ROTT and none of it on YOR

Both Southpaw and Years of Refusal are rocky, but have a completely different feel. I still like Years as an album (but it desperately needed something like My Dearest Love on it, and removal of one of the squelchier rockers).

Said it before but would love to see the next album go back to a "sweeter" Viva/Bona sound (I know not every song from that era had the same feel but you know what I mean) with biting, beautiful lyrics.

Both Southpaw and Years of Refusal are rocky, but have a completely different feel. I still like Years as an album (but it desperately needed something like My Dearest Love on it, and removal of one of the squelchier rockers).

Said it before but would love to see the next album go back to a "sweeter" Viva/Bona sound (I know not every song from that era had the same feel but you know what I mean) with biting, beautiful lyrics.

This. He has forgotten that an iron fist can be hidden by a velvet glove. Everything is iron-fisted, top to bottom. Action Is My Middle Name had that lovely piano intro, leading one to think there would be some audio irony given the title, then KLANG - power chords.

That's one reason I was able to give the overly long soundscape at the end of You Were Good In Your Time a pass. The lyrics and melody were a welcome respite on YOR, at least a different tempo and feel.

'good looking man' was a stinker in my opinion..he would have just been better off putting 'human being' or 'songs from under the floor boards' although they are covers...they were pretty good i suppose.

Just out of curiosity , applebuttaz , what was it that you didn't like about "Good - Looking" ? I thought Alain's eastern scales (?) and the distinctly danceable beat made for a better-than average Moz song.

I know it isn't desperately important , but ....

Too bad the poll didn't allow some of us to choose that we don't dislike the rockier tunes but prefer the ballads.

Agree with this. Having seen it performed live recently it didn't remind me of a Years track (Boz wasn't responsible for much of Years' overall sound anyway - Paris was a nice departure during the album). I think it'd be a solid album track with the likes of Street at the controls. Jesse and Finn together was just too much LA rawk in one room (the fact that I like his Ringleader contributions better can't only be down to songwriting). If Jesse could translate his improved guitar picking into some more melodic songwriting he could be still be a decent contributor, but I'm still holding out for a pitched battle between additional writers hoping to get their tracks on the next album.
Then again, Morrissey says he already has two records' worth of demos?

You make some seriously valid points here about the heavy-handedness of "YOR". However, I've been encouraged by the current rendition of "Action is My Middle Name" that has been played live recently. It's a bit more piano-y throughout than the BBC recording from last summer.

I am a big fan of the 'rockier direction'...

Morrissey had mastered the earlier, more mellow songs we all love, and it was refreshing.

Of course, I am not averse to him returning to his more chilled tunes... but I doubt we'll get that.

'People are the same everywhere' and 'The kid's a looker' were quite messy and noisy for my liking, but still enjoyable. 'Action is my middle name' is great, as is 'Scandinavia'. I am yet to hear a version of 'Art-hounds' that I feel I can validly comment on...

It's all his American band's doing. Let's be honest, Alain could rock but also perform it in a way which was subtle and pleasing to the ears. I don't recall him ever overbearing or drowning out Morrissey's vocals in any way, even on the Arsenal and Southpaw tours. Nowadays, it's Morrissey and a wall of mush.

Past few years? You mean since 1992. Bar maybe Vauxhall and I.

I am a great fan of the rockier direction of the music that Morrissey has taken in his past albums. Don't get me wrong, the ballads are great but I like a good rock tune and found albums like Years Of Refusal exceptional. Despite what most people think, I consider it one of his best, because it is different from what I expected, due to the negative reviews many fans were giving it. I wouldn't like a Morrissey album that is the same or an embelleshment of one that he has already done. So it would be nice if he altered the sound somewhat in the future, but I think he would do that anyway, like he always has.

Back
Top Bottom