Do you like the louder, more rock direction Morrissey has taken the past few years?

Do you like the louder, more rock direction Moz has taken the past few years?

• Yes

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • It doesn't matter

Votes: 7 15.6%

• Total voters
Re: Do you like the louder, more rock direction Morrissey has taken the past few year

I like the rockier stuff yeah. I'm going to say something controversial: I don't think piano suits Morrissey's voice & as he still pretty much refuses to properly utilise real strings, it's got to be piano or guitar. As evidenced by Vauxhall & I, a beautiful album with no piano at all. For me, the trouble with Morrissey's rockier stuff now ISN'T Jesse Tobias, it's the Walker brothers. Matt is great, Solomon less so but they both enjoy a good thrash. Tobias needs someone to reign him in & they all need a producer to tell them to give it a bloody rest occasionally.

I'd love him to make a really weird album. Sweetie Pie - The Album or something like that.

Re: Do you like the louder, more rock direction Morrissey has taken the past few year

For me, the trouble with Morrissey's rockier stuff now ISN'T Jesse Tobias, it's the Walker brothers. Matt is great, Solomon less so but they both enjoy a good thrash. Tobias needs someone to reign him in & they all need a producer to tell them to give it a bloody rest occasionally.

Yeah, I actually agree with you on that, very much!!

And.. 'Sweetie Pie - The Album'.. interesting idea, love it.

I agree with this completely, often they remind of a bad Tom Petty song...

There is no such thing, blasphemer.

There is no such thing, blasphemer.
let's see, of the 50 or so Tom Petty songs I currently have:
15 have 5 stars :eek:
10 have 4 stars
5 have 3 stars
20 or so have 2 stars or lower :squiffy:
-these ones at the bottom are what I am comparing the worst of Moz too :o

For me, the trouble with Morrissey's rockier stuff now ISN'T Jesse Tobias, it's the Walker brothers. Matt is great, Solomon less so but they both enjoy a good thrash.

Hmm...not disagreeing but it seemed like the general consensus Walker bros were Moz's best rhythm section in quite some time.

Hmm...not disagreeing but it seemed like the general consensus Walker bros were Moz's best rhythm section in quite some time.

I'm not sure about best but certainly it's the most settled line up he's had for a while. I guess the proof of the pudding will be the next album, assuming there is one.

I really like the more confident LOUD sounding band,
I suggest you all relisten to YOR. It's reeeally good.

I really like 2 tracks from it :thumb:
most of the rest, I can do without :squiffy:
sorry :o

Last edited:

As sad as it is to say, I feel pretty much the same way about "YOR".
I played it quite a bit when it was released in '09. I really wanted to like it.
However, with maybe 2 or 3 tracks as exceptions, I almost never listen to it these days. :o

I couldn't disagree more, to be honest. I love "OK", "Mama" ( well, alright, the live version),"Skull" (although the guitars need more). Furthermore,I'd say (yes, I'm already ducking) "Black Cloud" is one of my favourite Moz songs of all time. Had a re-listen to it just then ( to make sure I wasn't insane) - doesn't everyone love the contemporary sound, the acoustic Boz guitar break, the thump of Walker following this and the faintly ominous wind-up to the song's crescendo ?

The fact it isn't instantly recognisable as a Moz song from the last fifteen years - for god's sake, people, doesn't that count for anything ?

Last edited:

No because most of the songs are tuneless without melodies.

I hope he keeps getting louder and louder. I think in the long run it'll help his new music not sound quite as dated as some of the Viva Hate / Kill Uncle songs

I like it to a certain extent- I certainly prefer ROTT and YOR to Quarry, in any case- but I do hope things take a slightly different turn on the next album, for the sake of variety and him experimenting with different styles more than anything else. 'Scandinavia' seems promising to me in this respect, particularly the instrumentation you can hear in certain live renditions.

I really like the more confident LOUD sounding band,
I suggest you all relisten to YOR. It's reeeally good.

Worst album I'm afraid Steph...the music direction is wrong. It started getting bad from Ringleaders.

I am a great fan of the rockier direction of the music that Morrissey has taken in his past albums. Don't get me wrong, the ballads are great but I like a good rock tune and found albums like Years Of Refusal exceptional. Despite what most people think, I consider it one of his best, because it is different from what I expected, due to the negative reviews many fans were giving it. I wouldn't like a Morrissey album that is the same or an embelleshment of one that he has already done. So it would be nice if he altered the sound somewhat in the future, but I think he would do that anyway, like he always has.

I like Years of Refusal too. I can only think of one album which wasn't at all rocky and that's Kill Uncle, maybe the first Smiths album too. I like those too though. My only critisism is that I think he's got too many band members so live a lot of the subtleties can be missed in favour of dirge.

The louder, more rock direction he's taken (with the exception of most of Vauxhall) since Your Arsenal in 1992?

Back
Top Bottom