Half-Written New Songs

Comtesse, your not alone.

The new songs feel tacked together from odds and ends, and have an air of "that'll do" about them. Either Morrissey knows this and doesn't care, or he's muse really has run out of juice since Ringleader. One of the two. It's a shame, because if we take a second to look at the sentiments behind the poor writing of the new songs, some of the ideas are pretty good:

That's How People Grow Uphas Morrissey in a "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" frame of mind; this is interesting because we're so used to the self-deprecation and wistful longing that comes from this man. Unfortunately, the song is wasted on some truly hackneyed lyrics, and a lazy 'tell, not show' chorus.

I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris should for all intents and purposes be a romantic song. For a man who seems to draw so heavily from his environment in foreign locales, it's astonishing to me that he can't evoke the city of Paris in this song, but instead repeats the same non-eventful verse until the song closes.

One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell improves matters slightly, but still pacts some truly bizzare and silly lyrics in, while All You Need Is Me...is actually quite good.

In all cases, this fact remains: the music is better than the lyrics. For a Morrissey song, this should never be the case.

He's always been like this, from the earliest days. Poor follow-through on half the tracks.

"Morrissey sometimes brings out records with the greatest titles in the world which, somewhere along the line, he neglects to write songs for."

--Elvis Costello

Back
Top Bottom