Morrissey Central "I’VE BEEN DREAMING OF A TIME WHEN THE ENGLISH ARE SICK TO DEATH OF LABOUR AND TORIES" (July 13, 2023)

Last edited:
are we still arguing about this, of course morrissey endorses whatever goes on there otherwise he would have said it's not him by now.

I find it hard to accept that Morrissey can endorse the scrappy mess that is Morrissey Central when he used to be so meticulous about cover art and presentation (see Peepholism for the evidence of that). When did this change? Things seemed to start slipping with the original Maladjusted sleeve.

I feel a lot of us struggle with a kind of cognitive dissonance between the Morrissey we originally fell for and Morrissey as he is now.

But I guess that’s our problem more than it his.

Has the world changed?
Has he changed?
Have we changed?
He's a completely different person. I use the college paper analogy. If a student turned in papers written in the style of "Notre-Dame" "Rebels Without Applause" and "Bonfire Of Teenagers" all semester and then suddenly submitted "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" or "I Know It's Over," they would be dismissed from school, accused of plagiarism. It is like he simply doesn't care anymore. The decline in quality in all aspects of his career is jarring.

are we still arguing about this, of course morrissey endorses whatever goes on there otherwise he would have said it's not him by now.
I realise he does - it's just that I can understand why some people would like to believe he doesn't.

He's a completely different person. I use the college paper analogy. If a student turned in papers written in the style of "Notre-Dame" "Rebels Without Applause" and "Bonfire Of Teenagers" all semester and then suddenly submitted "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" or "I Know It's Over," they would be dismissed from school, accused of plagiarism. It is like he simply doesn't care anymore. The decline in quality in all aspects of his career is jarring.
ray ban are you the same person you were when you were just hitting your twenties,didnt think so.
people change as they get older,things that mattered at one time seem less important now.

Was Interesting Drug, for example, great poetry?

Interesting drug
The one that you took
Tell the truth - it really helped you
An interesting drug
The one that you took
God, it really really helped you

It's a pop lyric.
Notre Dame is a pop song. It's a very odd and unusual pop song - I think we would agree on that - but it's just a pop song, with a strikingly simplistic use of language. It does get its message across though in quite a powerful way because of that.
Whereas there is poetry to be found in Once I Saw the River Clean, for example.

Interesting drug
The one that you took
An interesting drug
The one that you took

It's a pop lyric.
Notre Dame is a pop song. It's a very odd and unusual pop song - I think we would agree on that - but it's just a pop song, with a strikingly simplistic use of language. It does get its message across though in quite a powerful way because of that.
I’d agree such works can sound deceptively slight on first listen, particularly in a live environment—outside of the album context.

I disliked Love is on its Way Out, when I first heard it released as a standalone track. But after repeated listening to the LP, I love it (although I’d still describe it as seven-pence short of six-pence).

I’m anticipating similar with Notre-Dame. Particularly as it’s musically brilliant.

Nah, his singing has improved, not declined. Re his lyrics, early Mozzer’s cardigan and books image weighed him down eventually. He’s now enjoyably free of it and ignores expectations that his lyrics will echo great poets and writers. He still puts out messages lyrically, but they are simply direct. He’s still writing bloody good songs, his singing is great, and he is clearly enjoying it.

I find it hard to accept that Morrissey can endorse the scrappy mess that is Morrissey Central when he used to be so meticulous about cover art and presentation (see Peepholism for the evidence of that). When did this change? Things seemed to start slipping with the original Maladjusted sleeve.

I feel a lot of us struggle with a kind of cognitive dissonance between the Morrissey we originally fell for and Morrissey as he is now.

But I guess that’s our problem more than it his.

Has the world changed?
Has he changed?
Have we changed?

When there's virtually no mainstream Moz coverage.........picking up every little mention isn't that surprising. It's really not that bad. Worry about the lyrics.....the lack of stage presence....cancelling dates.....the fact that he can't release an album.

I’d agree such works can sound deceptively slight on first listen, particularly in a live environment—outside of the album context.

I disliked Love is on its Way Out, when I first heard it released as a standalone track. But after repeated listening to the LP, I love it (although I’d still describe it as seven-pence short of six-pence).

I’m anticipating similar with Notre-Dame. Particularly as it’s musically brilliant.
When there's virtually no mainstream Moz coverage.........picking up every little mention isn't that surprising. It's really not that bad. Worry about the lyrics.....the lack of stage presence....cancelling dates.....the fact that he can't release an album.
Well, yeah. That there are two albums stuck in limbo, unheard bothers me far more than the crapness of Morrissey Central.

He pepped up for Leeds.

Who cares who posts what on Moz Central. I'm off to see Moz tomorrow night and will be sniffing vinyl and downing IPAs in Dublin on Sunday. Bliss. Just don't mention work on Monday.

p.s. if anyone from Moz's camp reads this can you include the audience in the smoke machine for Jack The Stripper? I wanna be lost in a Victorian fog wearing my Leather Apron. Actually, 'My Leather Apron' would make a great Moz album title.

Nah, his singing has improved, not declined. Re his lyrics, early Mozzer’s cardigan and books image weighed him down eventually. He’s now enjoyably free of it and ignores expectations that his lyrics will echo great poets and writers. He still puts out messages lyrically, but they are simply direct. He’s still writing bloody good songs, his singing is great, and he is clearly enjoying it.
I also think Moz's voice is at an all time level of greatness. Even casual or non fans I've met have commented how Moz sounds better than ever.

I didn't understand anything. Someone can tell me what happened with Sam Central and etc

He‘s a wanker who adds zero value to Morrisseys career. As soon as Morrissey passes (which is hopefully a long time away) Sam the leach will sell all sorts of bollocks to make a quid or two.

Anyway thats my view an after a day on the piss in Capri!

Interesting drug
The one that you took
An interesting drug
The one that you took

It's a pop lyric.
Once I Saw the River Clean is one of the best songs I ever heard, both for words and music.

Irish singer song-writer Lisa O' Neill said something interesting at a recent Tiny Desk session, about a new song. A 'trutheen' as she calls it.
trutheen means ‘ little truth ‘ and I wanted to release this on the cusp of such a change hence it is a trutheen and not a fully fledged song.

The song is called When Cash Was King.
It dawned on me that if a person is without a bank account or a mobile phone in the large cities today then they are at a huge disadvantage and sometimes unable to purchase basic essentials like food and water.

Is this change short sighted and necessary ? Will a cashless society cause an even greater divide among humanity?

Maybe Morrissey was doing something similar with Notre Dame?

Who cares who posts what on Moz Central. I'm off to see Moz tomorrow night and will be sniffing vinyl and downing IPAs in Dublin on Sunday. Bliss. Just don't mention work on Monday.

p.s. if anyone from Moz's camp reads this can you include the audience in the smoke machine for Jack The Stripper? I wanna be lost in a Victorian fog wearing my Leather Apron. Actually, 'My Leather Apron' would make a great Moz album title.
Enjoy tomorrow. Please report if you can. I'm going Sunday, to get in line for my benediction! Hot Press favourably reviewed Lana Del Ray's show in Dublin last week, which I share 'cos you'll shortly see this e-fusion on Central, and I'm about to exit stage left. :tiphat:

I could write Notre-Dame in about 5 minutes and I would know that it was not a good effort, it certainly wouldn't be for public consumption. He has morphed into a novice lyricist with no subtlety or nuance. I believe that I am better and a bunch of people here can probably write much better lyrics. Totally serious.

I could write Notre-Dame in about 5 minutes and I would know that it was not a good effort, it certainly wouldn't be for public consumption. He has morphed into a novice lyricist with no subtlety or nuance. I believe that I am better and a bunch of people here can probably write much better lyrics. Totally serious.
I don't think this songs is quite as damaging as others are claiming.
It won't have anywhere near the impact of his support for the For Britain party.
It's just unbelievably stupid - the kind of thing a 7 year old might write on a Monday morning after being asked about the weekend's news. The most worrying aspect is that he's using this song to showcase a new album, as if it's one of the best things on it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom