Independent.ie: Lloyd Cole Interview - with Morrissey anecdotes (July 2, 2023)

• Thread starter Iamhatedforloving
  • Start date
sf DWilWh_0.jpg

Lloyd Cole interview Sunday Independent (Ireland) 2nd July - Morrissey references

Morrissey became a fan. He said Cole was the sort of person who gets "erotic about blotting paper". To which Cole replied: "I do. I am a real stationery fetishist."
When Lloyd Cole and the Commotions played their first gig in London at the Dominion Theatre, they came offstage and went to their dressing room to find Morrissey "drinking a cup of tea. We were friends for a few years." Does he despair for his old friend's right-wing politics now? "Oh, I couldn't possibly be friends with Morrissey now. But that's the lovely thing about art, those Smiths records and those Morrissey records are yours now. You can remove the author. In fact, the author is necessarily removed when the record is released."
In 1985, he and Morrissey met up a few times. "We had tea at Fortnum & Mason. That was his idea. We would play each other songs that we were working on. I got to hear 'Meat is Murder' before it came out."
Was that a bit like Alan Bennett and Dennis Potter having lunch together?"It absolutely wasn't," he says with a laugh, "because we were both still young and immature and still finding our way, in terms of finding our voices.
"I think Morrissey probably found his voice on The Queen is Dead and I found mine on my first solo record. I think I was trying to be less worthy from Rattlesnakes onwards. I love Rattlesnakes to death but it is hard for me to listen to the singing now. I don't en- joy the sound of my voice on that record. It's overly mannered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Link with pay gate removed to view the article added to OP.
FWD.

I always slightly preferred Easy Pieces to Rattlesnakes. I seem to remember the third LP (can't recall the title) had some pretty good songs on it too. Some of his solo stuff's not bad.

Lloyd is one of those really annoying people who looks better, the older he gets. I want his hair.

Great guy. In another interview Lloyd said that Morrissey's favourite Commotions-song was James, from Easy Pieces. It's easy to see why.

oh i couldnt possibly be friends with morrissey now,well im sure M doesnt have you on speed dial either,these people are more or less saying im so far to the loony left iv just fell off the planet.next.

Shame about that comment, i think Nick Cave is the only person ive never heard slag off Moz when asked to give the usual criticisms. Absolutely love Lloyd Cole tho, not a bad album in his catalogue, written a load of top tunes and is very underrated sadly.
Like he said, i will seperate his anti Morrissey views from his art 👍

Last edited:
oh i couldnt possibly be friends with morrissey now,well im sure M doesnt have you on speed dial either,these people are more or less saying im so far to the loony left iv just fell off the planet.next.
What do you think "loony left" means?

The interviewer is the wanker for framing the question like he did.
It's a perfectly reasonable question to ask. It's also helpful since it shows that not all older people turn into f***witted, reactionary morons who believe in right-wing conspiracies as they age. Good for Lloyd.

Lloyd Cole and Morrissey apparently haven’t been in touch for over 30 years now. So this friendship sadly lost can hardly be attributed to Morrissey’s current views and at least Lloyd Cole didn’t say that he can’t listen to M’s music anymore now because of his views. So very reasonable overall.

Lloyd Cole and Morrissey apparently haven’t been in touch for over 30 years now. So this friendship sadly lost can hardly be attributed to Morrissey’s current views and at least Lloyd Cole didn’t say that he can’t listen to M’s music anymore now because of his views. So very reasonable overall.
Wasn't there a story of Lloyd Cole randomly seeing Morrissey in the street in Belfast and them having a friendly chat? Probably 10/15 years ago now, I suppose.

Wasn't there a story of Lloyd Cole randomly seeing Morrissey in the street in Belfast and them having a friendly chat? Probably 10/15 years ago now, I suppose.
Wasn't that with Tim Booth of James when Morrissey hugged him and asked 'are you still alive?' I could be wrong, maybe it was Lloyd.

"Can't possibly be friends with someone who doesn't think as I do"

And he probably thinks that's something to be proud of.

Shame about that comment, i think Nick Cave is the only person ive never heard when asked to give the usual sent to Coventry reply. Absolutely love Lloyd Cole tho, not a bad album in his catalogue, written a load of top tunes and is very underrated sadly.
Like he said, i will seperate his anti Morrissey views from his art 👍

Ditto. I could care less who he sleeps with, and who he votes for. Never cared, since '94.

I’ve never really given Cole the time to listen to. What would be an accessible album to start with?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom