Indiewire: "Why David Fincher Chose The Smiths for Michael Fassbender’s Zen ‘Meditation’ Soundtrack in ‘The Killer’" (September 3, 2023)

Excerpt:

Eighties-loving misanthropes will find comfort in David Fincher’s “The Killer” knowing that the assassin revenge thriller is almost exclusively soundtracked by The Smiths — when it’s not thrumming with Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross’ ominous score.

Michael Fassbender plays a near-sociopathic contract killer, unencumbered by conscience or any moral scruples, whose carefully composed world starts to spin off its axis when he accidentally kills the wrong person on a hit job in Paris. He’s a yoga-doing, almost Zen-like murderer for hire whose unreliable perspective the movie situates us directly within — and that includes The Killer’s love of English rock band The Smiths. Hits like “How Soon Is Now?” and “Bigmouth Strikes Again” are often playing in an earbud or on speaker in the many cars he cycles through as a way to come down from the rush of a kill. Plus, some lesser-known favorites, like “I Know It’s Over” off “The Queen Is Dead,” which plays at an especially bungled moment professionally for him.

“Trent and Atticus are our first call, and if they choose to return the call, I deem myself lucky,” director Fincher said at the film’s Venice Film Festival press conference Sunday afternoon. “The Smiths were a post-production addition because I knew I wanted to use ‘How Soon is Now?’ and I love the idea of that song specifically as a tool for assuaging his anxiety. I liked it as a meditation tape, I thought it was amusing and funny.”

Once you’ve seen the movie, lyrics like “I’ve got no right to take my place/ To the Human race” off “Bigmouth Strikes Again” will make sense as a kind of mantra for this lonely island of a man. In the film premiering in competition in Venice and out October 27 in theaters on Netflix, Fassbender’s character goes on a revenge rampage that takes him from Santa Domingo to New Orleans after a disgruntled client dispatches goons to try and kill his girlfriend at their hideaway. The Killer’s increasing improvisations that deviate from his usual modus operandi — “never improvise” being part of it — leave many unnecessary bodies strewn on the side of the road.

Fincher said he chose The Smiths because of their famously mordant wit, as voiced by Morrissey. “I don’t think that there’s a library of music by recording artists that have as much sardonic nature and wit simultaneously [as The Smiths], and we don’t get an awful lot of access to who this guy is. I thought through his mixtape it would be amusing, that that would be our window into him.”

“The schism between his mantra, the words that he lives by, and his behavior that is forced to adjust, was ultimately where the movie exists, where the character exists,” Fincher said. “As his voiceover is assured, and as his voiceover is telling us exactly what it is he thinks he’s going to do, the moment that disappears, the style of the cinematography changes, the style of the music changes. We tried to use the frantic nature, maybe handheld, the way that we staged the action, to really show unraveling.”

full

Last edited by a moderator:
What an extraordinarily obnoxious amount of money to spend on a movie. Movies these days are way too expensive even though they mostly use digital film these days which was touted as the way back to smaller budgets which clearly hasn't happened. Films are also way too long probably because of all the extra footage they can afford to shoot. Money is getting wasted somewhere.
marred when you see a huge budget it includes the actors fees as well,if the new mission impossible film cost $250 million dollars to make well at least $20-30 million dollars goes straight into toms ever increasing bank account and deservedly so.

marred when you see a huge budget it includes the actors fees as well,if the new mission impossible film cost $250 million dollars to make well at least $20-30 million dollars goes straight into toms ever increasing bank account and deservedly so.
Yeah I know what film budgets are spent on and believe me there is a lot of waste. I work in the film industry and obscene sums of money are wasted on so much bullshit that never sees the light of day. But I've also seen people spend the money much smarter than most so it's all relative.

Yeah I know what film budgets are spent on and believe me there is a lot of waste. I work in the film industry and obscene sums of money are wasted on so much bullshit that never sees the light of day. But I've also seen people spend the money much smarter than most so it's all relative.
totally agree,if you look at blumhouse they spend about $8 million,the film makes $80,they have been doing that for a good while now,horror has never been better thanks to them.

Is this film based on the French graphic novel by Matz.? I have been looking forward to this for years. Are we going to have another 'Running up that Hill' moment?
Probably not.

Fun fact:

Michael Fassbender physically abused his former girlfriend. She got a restraining order against him.

Johnny & Morrissey should not give permission to use their music.
f*** physically assaulting his girlfriend, what are his views on mass immigration and Brexit? That's far more important. Clearly.

Is this film based on the French graphic novel by Matz.? I have been looking forward to this for years. Are we going to have another 'Running up that Hill' moment?
Probably not.

Yes it is based on the graphic novel. I hope the Smiths get some kind of resurgence from this!

Have Morrissey or Marr commented on the inclusion of their music?

first review from the venice film festival is very positive and mentions M as the protagonists go-to music when setting up a hit.

Last edited:

Excerpt:

Eighties-loving misanthropes will find comfort in David Fincher’s “The Killer” knowing that the assassin revenge thriller is almost exclusively soundtracked by The Smiths — when it’s not thrumming with Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross’ ominous score.

Michael Fassbender plays a near-sociopathic contract killer, unencumbered by conscience or any moral scruples, whose carefully composed world starts to spin off its axis when he accidentally kills the wrong person on a hit job in Paris. He’s a yoga-doing, almost Zen-like murderer for hire whose unreliable perspective the movie situates us directly within — and that includes The Killer’s love of English rock band The Smiths. Hits like “How Soon Is Now?” and “Bigmouth Strikes Again” are often playing in an earbud or on speaker in the many cars he cycles through as a way to come down from the rush of a kill. Plus, some lesser-known favorites, like “I Know It’s Over” off “The Queen Is Dead,” which plays at an especially bungled moment professionally for him.

“Trent and Atticus are our first call, and if they choose to return the call, I deem myself lucky,” director Fincher said at the film’s Venice Film Festival press conference Sunday afternoon. “The Smiths were a post-production addition because I knew I wanted to use ‘How Soon is Now?’ and I love the idea of that song specifically as a tool for assuaging his anxiety. I liked it as a meditation tape, I thought it was amusing and funny.”

Once you’ve seen the movie, lyrics like “I’ve got no right to take my place/ To the Human race” off “Bigmouth Strikes Again” will make sense as a kind of mantra for this lonely island of a man. In the film premiering in competition in Venice and out October 27 in theaters on Netflix, Fassbender’s character goes on a revenge rampage that takes him from Santa Domingo to New Orleans after a disgruntled client dispatches goons to try and kill his girlfriend at their hideaway. The Killer’s increasing improvisations that deviate from his usual modus operandi — “never improvise” being part of it — leave many unnecessary bodies strewn on the side of the road.

Fincher said he chose The Smiths because of their famously mordant wit, as voiced by Morrissey. “I don’t think that there’s a library of music by recording artists that have as much sardonic nature and wit simultaneously [as The Smiths], and we don’t get an awful lot of access to who this guy is. I thought through his mixtape it would be amusing, that that would be our window into him.”

“The schism between his mantra, the words that he lives by, and his behavior that is forced to adjust, was ultimately where the movie exists, where the character exists,” Fincher said. “As his voiceover is assured, and as his voiceover is telling us exactly what it is he thinks he’s going to do, the moment that disappears, the style of the cinematography changes, the style of the music changes. We tried to use the frantic nature, maybe handheld, the way that we staged the action, to really show unraveling.”

full
Brilliant to see hear Smiths songs in something good. It's funny that his solo work is never really used. I can only think of one film that has a song from Mozzer solo . The skater film.

After watchin' the trailer, I can see why Mr. Fincher said that
usin' The Smiths music was a post production choice.
The picture looked okay, but I'm thinkin' that when he threw
The Smiths music in there, it really made the picture come alive.
The picture needed that special extra.
Great music can do that.
It can indeed.

btw, Wild T, did you write this poem? :)

What an extraordinarily obnoxious amount of money to spend on a movie. Movies these days are way too expensive even though they mostly use digital film these days which was touted as the way back to smaller budgets which clearly hasn't happened. Films are also way too long probably because of all the extra footage they can afford to shoot. Money is getting wasted somewhere.
It's like how JAWS was meant to be a 'tentpole' movie to finance loads of smaller less profitable films. Instead here we are decades later with a vomit filled bucket of Marvel films, bloody Barbie topping the charts for plastic audiences, while mind-bending TV shows like 1899 get cancelled after one season. It's a miracle 'Dark' saw three seasons (excellent show). The budgets of most films are obscene, the lack of artistic value is obscene, and it goes on and on. Similarly Moz can't get his record released while the radio waves are clogged up with overpaid underwhelming bland industry 'in'gineered insipid idiots.

Last edited:
So Moz and marr must have given permission and got paid? I don't know how this works exactly...
Yes, they do own the songwriting/publishing rights. WEA owns the songs, so they will profit as well. All these bands selling their songs are selling their publishing rights. The record label usually own the songs. I know some artist like Taylor Swift were trying to get their masters back from the labels, but that is the way the label makes money, so they don't give that up often.

totally agree,if you look at blumhouse they spend about $8 million,the film makes $80,they have been doing that for a good while now,horror has never been better thanks to them.
Yeah those guys are a supreme example of how to do it right. Not every film is great but they don't have to be. They just have to make a profit or at least break even which is rare these days. Marvel just seem to make a loss these days and blink casually.

Michael Fassbender plays a near-sociopathic contract, unencumbered by conscience or any moral scruples,

So, he plays himself, yah?

Brilliant to see hear Smiths songs in something good. It's funny that his solo work is never really used. I can only think of one film that has a song from Mozzer solo . The skater film.
There was a snippet of a version of FOTGTD in one of the Ant Man (or is it Antman?) flicks, I believe.

f*** physically assaulting his girlfriend, what are his views on mass immigration and Brexit? That's far more important. Clearly.
gash,you have to seperate the artist from his girlfriend,oh thats happened already.

trivia tuesday---the androids in the alien franchise run in alphabetical order.
ash.
bishop.
cal.
david.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom