Jesse has improved as a guitarist. Agreed?

Jesse has improved as a guitarist. Agreed?

• What are you on about? He was always good!

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • He lacked before, but yes, he's improved!

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • He's a bit better, but still no Alain.

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Not sure whether he has, but I don't care for him as a band member.

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • No, he's as cack-handed as ever.

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • He's gotten worse!

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

King Leer

Leering since '97
After seeing two gigs recently and plenty of Youtube footage, I think he has, especially during this latest tour.
I have to mention user Jamie (one of Jesse's harsher critics) and his comment about the new double-acoustic version of First of the Gang being the best live rendition since the original Quarry tour. Agree on that. There seems to be more respect, more skill, less "squelch" than before. Alain's backing vocals, warm interplay with the crowd and obviously his songwriting are sorely missed but Jesse has stepped up his game somewhat IMO. Seems to have more axes in his arsenal -- I'm sure some of the instrumentally inclined here could comment on that.

Agree? Non?

Last edited:
No, he still sounds like shit.

At any rate, even if he had improved, how is that impressive? He's been with Morrissey for eight years. That's nearly TWICE the time The Smiths existed...plus he played guitar (professionally, mind you) for years before that.

Too little too late. Next question.

I never said it was "impressive" and agree it should've happened by now. But it made my recent Tokyo shows better so I don't give a shit if it's "late" actually.

"Not sure whether he has, but I don't care for him as a band member"

I'm a new Moz Fan, I could see in my first concert that he doesnt give something extra for the songs and I feel that he doesnt enjoy the concert, I prefer Boz and the drummer.

Hi Nina -- welcome to a new fan!

I agree that Jesse always seems "pissed off" though at the recent Asian shows I did see him smile a couple of times at stage invaders. Which concert did you see?

"Not sure whether he has, but I don't care for him as a band member"

I'm a new Moz Fan, I could see in my first concert that he doesnt give something extra for the songs and I feel that he doesnt enjoy the concert, I prefer Boz and the drummer.

1:06-1:07

20400755.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
There's a lot of affection for Alain now that he's gone (some of us never took him for granted) but one of the repeated criticisms when people were calling for a new band was that he hit a lot of "bum notes"...

Agreed about Gustavo. He's not far off Mikey in terms of versatility. Would be interested in hearing a Morrissey / Manzur co-write.

Absolutely! Also, the Miami Heat's Joel Anthony has almost doubled his scoring average, rocketing from 2.0 ppg last year to 3.4 ppg this year.

I voted, "He's gotten worse!"

I didn't mind his playing when he first arrived on the Quarry tour in 2004. He was a substitute-touring guitarist and knew his role well. His playing was pretty close to the records and he did improvise here and there, I suspect Boz kept him in check throughout. His decline, IMO, came during the Greatest Hits tour in 2007. This was also around the time Solomon replaced Gary in the lineup. I just felt he got a bit sloppier in the playing department, although "Children in Pieces" is my favorite co-write of his, which ironically was recorded during that tour.

He needs replacing, that's all I'll say.

He needs a good British band regardless if they're veggie or not.

Hee hee - I like how the "What are you on about? He was always good!" option is winning.

Quite surprising - all you Jesse haters are very loud but it seems you are in the minority!

Carry on whingeing!

Hee hee - I like how the "What are you on about? He was always good!" option is winning.

Quite surprising - all you Jesse haters are very loud but it seems you are in the minority!

Carry on whingeing!

Read carefully: If you add up the totals for all but the first two responses (i.e., the supportive choices), the majority so far carries an opinion not in favor of Jesse. And even if the first choice carries the day by the end of the poll, the minority has never been known to be in the right. Have they?

There's a lot of affection for Alain now that he's gone (some of us never took him for granted) but one of the repeated criticisms when people were calling for a new band was that he hit a lot of "bum notes"...

And it bears pointing out:

1. Those criticisms largely emanate from the early days of the YATQ tour, when he clearly was not at his best.
2. Listen to any number of Kill Uncle shows when Boz was nominally the lead guitarist on most of the songs. His parts are often littered with goofs. (Not to mention almost the whole of the Johnny Carson appearance being nastily out of tune...)

Fan overheard in 1986: "Oh my God, wasn't Johnny Marr amazing? His guitar playing in 'I Know It's Over' was just...beautiful!"

Fan overheard in 2012: "Oh my God, wasn't Jesse amazing? He made it through the entire set without a goof".

The bar seems to have been lowered...

;)

Read carefully: If you add up the totals for all but the first two responses (i.e., the supportive choices), the majority so far carries an opinion not in favor of Jesse. And even if the first choice carries the day by the end of the poll, the minority has never been known to be in the right. Have they?

Read carefully?
I'll try not to take that as a patronising comment. I usually do read things carefully, thanks.

I would call the top 3 options neutral or positive.
I would classify the 'Jesse haters' (as mentioned in my post - which I'm sure you read carefully) as having the opinions of the bottom 3 options.

So far the top 3 options carry 22 votes, while the bottom 3 options carry 19.

But as you say, and I agree, the minority are never in the right! But in this case the minority are definitely more vociferous.

Carry on whingeing!

Back
Top Bottom