Jesus of Nazareth, known as "J-dogg" by some

What is your opinion of Jesus?

• Total voters
Happy Easter Solos

John chapter 20 goes into unusual details regarding the cloths found in the tomb. Graham Greene found this detailed reportage convincing as the kind of detail not to be seen in a resurrection myth. A whole temple needed rebuilding...

Not great examples.

Atheists and religious minorities are banned from the presidency, which is constitutionally restricted to those who hold “Tunisian nationality since birth” and “whose religion is Islam” (Article 74). In these terms there is little improvement over the 1959 constitution, which made similar stipulations.

In Senegal, homosexuality is illegal. According to 2013 survey by the Pew Research Center, 96% of Senegalese believe that homosexuality should not be accepted by society. In Azerbaijan, although homosexuality is legal, repression of gay people is common.

These are not examples of modern secular democracies.

Albania is just over 50% Muslim so no doubt its secular constitution owes a huge debt to its European cultural heritage. Not to Islam.

In the UK Catholics are banned from being head of state & the law didn't stop criminalising homosexuality until 2013.

In the UK Catholics are banned from being head of state & the law didn't stop criminalising homosexuality until 2013.
I was praising the 1st amendment of the USA in my earlier post. I didn't mention the UK.
The ban on the king being a Catholic goes back to 1689. I can't imagine many would object if that ban was ended. Charles changed his coronation oath to be 'Defender of Faiths' and no one batted an eyelid.
Homosexuality was decriminalised in England in 1967. Decriminalisation in other parts of the UK and various changes to the age of consent for gay men weren't equalised until later. The law still criminalises homosexual behaviour that is below the age of consent. So focusing on 2013 rather than 1967 is an odd argument.
To compare current attitudes to homosexuality in the UK with a country like Tunisia, for example, which you praised for its 'secular' government, is just bizarre.

It's a loose term that can that can apply to the Maghreb.
The Middle East:

1712078357551.png

The Maghreb:

1712078397651.png

You could have at least found an illustration that didn't take it into North Africa if you wanted to pretend they're entirely separate.
Sorry, I used illustrations based on 'reality' here on planet Earth.
And they are entirely separate. The Maghreb stops at Libya. The Middle East starts at Egypt.
Are they all just brown-skinned foreigners to you, Malarkey?

And they are entirely separate. The Maghreb stops at Libya. The Middle East starts at Egypt.

North Africa is entirely separate from North Africa. You're going with that.

That's what I thought, too. While trying to call out others she reveals her own bias and categorical thinking: they are all brown and oppressed (by the West, allegedly), hence "the same".

Last edited:
Talking of something more interesting than Malarkey, I saw Dawkins' confession that he is a Christian after all. He basically said that he likes Christmas and nice things and therefore is a cultural Christian, even if he doesn't believe. While I think that's a bit poor from a so-called intellectual I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment. Christianity is nonsense but it's our nonsense.

That's what I thought, too. While trying to call out others she reveals her own bias and categorical thinking: they are all brown and oppressed (by the West, allegedly), hence "the same".

I'm sure the pair of you think racist thoughts all the time - you could have scrolled down wikipedia.

Other concepts of the region exist including the broader Middle East and North Africa (MENA), which includes states of the Maghreb and the Sudan, or the "Greater Middle East" which additionally also includes parts of East Africa, Mauritania, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and sometimes the South Caucasus and Central Asia.

Talking of something more interesting than Malarkey, I saw Dawkins' confession that he is a Christian after all. He basically said that he likes Christmas and nice things and therefore is a cultural Christian, even if he doesn't believe. While I think that's a bit poor from a so-called intellectual I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment. Christianity is nonsense but it's our nonsense.
yes, he said that it was a thoroughly decent religion as well. the podcast of the lotus eaters were talking about it today, and as callum pointed out it doesnt make much sense to say you want the cathedrals but yet you dont want anyone in them.

personally i think he's suffering from some kind of mental block when it comes to christianity. his true self is a christian.

it's really not nonsense. some of the biblical stories are brilliant and portray a profound understanding of human nature. if someone did just make it up they had to have some sort of god given genius to do so.

It's impossible not to recognise the influence of Christianity on the development of the West. Doubting Thomas is the true hero of the Gospels. A man with a healthy skepticism. It is sad that Islam in its early days embraced science and chemistry. Not any more.
Some fairy tales 'stick' because they contain some truth about the human condition or human psychology. The Gospels are an example of such fairy tales.

Tags
christianity edith sitwell jesus religion
Back
Top Bottom