Jesus of Nazareth, known as "J-dogg" by some

What is your opinion of Jesus?

• Total voters
It may be that RB is using this to polish his tarnished image. But given Jesus specifically said he came to call sinners, and to spread the Good News,
or he may genuinely be looking for salvation. Though he can find that in himself, as we all can, just by accepting any situation. No need to look outside of himself. No fairytale of some magical being needed.
if Russell were not advertising his conversion you could argue he obviously had not found God.

sure, but I wouldn’t. It’s not something I would need. Proof would be in the pudding.

Edit: But also, and more importantly, it’s nobody’s business. To make it someone else’s business, as he has done, is just plain weird.

Last edited:
or he may genuinely be looking for salvation. Though he can find that in himself, as we all can, just by accepting any situation. No need to look outside of himself. No fairytale of some magical being needed.

sure, but I wouldn’t. It’s not something I would need. Proof would be in the pudding.

Edit: But also, and more importantly, it’s nobodies business. To make it someone else’s business, as he has done, is just plain weird.
Russell is a natural teacher, sharer, enthusiast and leader in many ways. He likes to share his experiences - whether that’s his struggles with addiction, or his life generally which also always formed the basis of much of his comedy. Lots of people share their newfound faith etc, that’s what evangelists are, I think it might be what evangelist means - the sharers of the Good News etc It’s really not strange that he is doing so. The fact he’s sharing it does not speak to it being fake imo.

Russell is a natural teacher, sharer, enthusiast and leader in many ways. He likes to share his experiences - whether that’s his struggles with addiction, or his life generally which also always formed the basis of much of his comedy. Lots of people share their newfound faith etc, that’s what evangelists are, I think it might be what evangelist means - the sharers of the Good News etc It’s really not strange that he is doing so. The fact he’s sharing it does not speak to it being fake imo.

fair enough.

But this sharing is not creative nor a more discreet and respectful process. Just looks bad and forced.

Does advertising one’s salvation make it any less credible? certainly debatable. What may be considered ‘enthusiasm’ on part of an evangelist, can also be seen as careerism. Religion as a snake oil being hawked. That’s not to say that it may not have its benefits.

I thought it would be good so others can learn by others misdeeds.

Davidt or moderators wouldn’t have to go into detail. Maybe if one can click on their ‘timeout’ or ‘banned’ announcement and it would give you a general reason, such as ‘harassment of other members’, etc.
I doubt if the reasons for being banned or put on timeout are that inscrutable. if you're about to get banned or put on timeout you probably have some inkling of it.

It may be that RB is using this to polish his tarnished image. But given Jesus specifically said he came to call sinners, and to spread the Good News, if Russell were not advertising his conversion you could argue he obviously had not found God.
Exactly, there's nothing saying you can't talking about finding God to anyone and everyone. There is a Buddhist saying: "always speak to everyone of God" which one could interpret as "always speak to everyone of what is most important," and to those who have just found God, that would likely be most important. There are things which are meant to be kept private, like fasting, but your faith is not meant to be kept a secret. I find non Christians prescribing what kind of decorum Christians should engage in to be a little off putting.

I doubt if the reasons for being banned or put on timeout are that inscrutable. if you're about to get banned or put on timeout you probably have some inkling of it.

I mean to others. I don’t follow all the posts, and don’t really know why the 3 recent timeouts have been given. Guessing or assuming why is not really satisfying.

You deserve a beating for the shit you espouse. And not the good kind either, like the one I'm going to give Baz.

Can’t we put this Jesus thread to rest already? “Allah wills it” is no different from what Christians believe: that everything that happens, happens according to the will of God—even Islamists winning elections in England. God permits evil in order to bring about a supposed “greater good.” The Lord giveth and he taketh away, blessed be the name of the Lord.

Baby Jay was probably introduced because people were getting tired of being monitored 24/7 by the stern grey grandpa in the sky.
To secure the old male domination system "they"* looked for a male figure that could appeal to the younger generation and sentimental single laydiz.
They spotted baby J. He had just failed his audition for "Hair" and looked dejected and aimless. They said to him: "Young hippie! Would you like to bullshit people for thousands of years???"
He said, "Mebbee. What's in it for me?"
-"Er... Free wine, magic tricks, and the opportunity to meet Russell Brand?"

* yes, "them"

Can’t we put this Jesus thread to rest already? “Allah wills it” is no different from what Christians believe: that everything that happens, happens according to the will of God—even Islamists winning elections in England. God permits evil in order to bring about a supposed “greater good.” The Lord giveth and he taketh away, blessed be the name of the Lord.

I’m not sure about the Islamic position, but in Christianity I think the doctrine of free will means in fact that for Christians it is not the case that as you say ‘everything that happens is according to God’s will’. Yes, God could decide everything that happens but chooses not to do so in order that humans can have free will and agency.
The arguments for and against can quickly get into logical contradictions of the kind ‘if God is omnipotent could he make a stone so heavy he can’t lift it’ …… where there is no satisfactory answer and the argument becomes circular. Linguistic acrobatics can make black seem white snd vice versa I suppose. I think it’s very easy to get misled by language. But in the end perhaps religious belief is a matter ultimately of the heart and makes perfect sense to many …. while to others it seems nonsensical. And to the sceptics the benefits and fruits of prayer etc if noticed will all be put down to the placebo effect at best ….. whereas to those who do feel the transcendence and wonder …. well, it needs no explanation.

Barking, that sums it up perfectly. Let it be the last word on the subject.

A new thread is now needed, for new wine requires new wineskins. The title should be: Russell Brand is the NEW SEXY SECOND COMING OF SEXY JESUS!! and Islam commands bumming boys and grooming girls!!! I will abstain from it. I might make a new thread like Dirk has done, asking for tips on a possible move. Title: Indonesia.

I’m not sure about the Islamic position, but in Christianity I think the doctrine of free will means in fact that for Christians it is not the case that as you say ‘everything that happens is according to God’s will’. Yes, God could decide everything that happens but chooses not to do so in order that humans can have free will and agency.
The arguments for and against can quickly get into logical contradictions of the kind ‘if God is omnipotent could he make a stone so heavy he can’t lift it’ ……

Yes, it does all end in paradox, but the traditional view is that God has both an active will and a permissive will. A right hand and a left hand. God could prevent evil, but he permits evil to occur in order to bring about an alleged “greater good.” There are dissenting theologies like Calvinism and Jansenism, or the recent development of “open theism,” but this is the main one as far as I know.

Aubrey, you've converted to Islam ?!
Like Father Nietzsche ?

Tags
christianity edith sitwell jesus religion
Back
Top Bottom